Is posh diesel worth it? (50 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Aug 17, 2021
Funster No
MH
Adria 640 SLB on ord
So come on, should I put the expensive in or say one in three times?
Just a definitive answer please, I can’t cope with all the explanations and science.
My brain hurts.
My advice would be as already said, use a std branded diesel and not supermarket fuel

I would concur with TrudeandDall - I’ve been 40 years technical with the last 20 + as the UK Technical lead for a major high speed diesel engine manufacturer.

Jan 27, 2023
Leyland
Funster No
MH
Chausson 640
The problem with some diesel is the bio content it can vary from 5%-20% (30% France) the bio part of the diesel contains a lot of water, the reputable suppliers will only have the low bio content, water going through the fuel system theoreticaly should be stopped by the filter but some will always get through and when the engine is not at full temp will cause carbon to build up in the exhaust system affecting the DPF and EGR valve.
A page I follow on FB talk about many things to reduce the chance of injectors failing. One suggestion is using decent fuel, another is keeping your fuel filled to the brim to reduce moisture getting to the injector tips. Nobody knows what causes injector failure but we try everything to eliminate it.
Sorry to go off topic 👍

Jan 3, 2023
Whitby, UK
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starburst
Exp
From March 2023
Every 4th fill-up I use super/premium diesel. Just to give the motor a clean.
I do put super-unleaded in all of my bikes that have carbs to help prevent the dreaded ethanol-induced crud formation over winter. Injected bikes, I just use regular.

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021

Diesel Bob is that the place near Ribchester just down the road from me

Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
Running a 55 plate coach build on a 2.4 Transit chassis I use the cheaper Jet garage on our way out of town. When we are away I fill up we’re it’s convenient but always standard diesel.
The only time I use special shell diesel and Wyns fuel system cleaner is pre MOT hoping it will help with emissions. It dosnt seem to make any difference to the way it runs or the consumption.

Oct 7, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner td590 lyseo
Exp
campervan for 5 years, motorhome since May 19
Yes, we always check our route to see if there's a Costco fuel station en-route. Premium diesel at lower price than the lowest regular we can find elsewhere. Reading seems particularly cheap !
Not just me then,
Haydock and Thurrock fills.on the way down to tunnel and back up.

Graydo

Aug 21, 2024
Sunny Redcar
Funster No
MH
RT Zefiro 675
Some further 'inside' info for this thread, I used to work on almost all of the fuel depots in the UK, commissioning loading racks, automation systems etc etc.
The base fuel is all held in the same huge storage tanks (look to your left next time you're going South over the QE2 crossing, that's one of the biggest/busiest depots in the country), the road tankers all load from the same racks using the same base fuel, with specific additives added at point of loading, this is the only difference in the fuels to the best of my knowledge. Shell for example have their own additives, whereas the lesser brands will use generic.
There was some press about supermarket diesel a few years ago seizing engines, this was due to an overdose of additive apparently, computers go wrong occasionally.
I've ran many diesel vehicles over the years on supermarket fuels without any issues, but I think the Ford MoHo will be getting a drink of Shell's finest every now and then for good measure.
The cars are ran on Tesco Momentum, never any issues.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 26, 2022
North Cumbria.
Funster No
MH
Hobby Vantana
Exp
Since 2013
What is the additive you can add yourself. Where do you get it?
BP additive was made in the EU to an exact BP specification. It was very expensive and was fully contained in loading rack systems that injected the additive into fuel at the point of loading and only in very small amounts, measured in parts per million. You certainly could not buy it anywhere.
The systems Plynchy installed ( did you work at BP Dalson, Grangemouth, Sunderland or Belfast Plynchy? ) have very tight tolerance to prevent under or overdose of the additive. If they went out of tolerance, that really buggered up a site managers day.........

Aug 21, 2024
Sunny Redcar
Funster No
MH
RT Zefiro 675
BP additive was made in the EU to an exact BP specification. It was very expensive and was fully contained in loading rack systems that injected the additive into fuel at the point of loading and only in very small amounts, measured in parts per million. You certainly could not buy it anywhere.
The systems Plynchy installed ( did you work at BP Dalson, Grangemouth, Sunderland or Belfast Plynchy? ) have very tight tolerance to prevent under or overdose of the additive. If they went out of tolerance, that really buggered up a site managers day.........
Worked almost everywhere in the SE/SW, visited Belfast a few times as well as Grangemouth.

Oct 27, 2022
Funster No
MH
Consort PVC
I should really do some Italian tuning occasionally, a lot of our driving is with the auto in 9th doing 1500 rpm.

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
Since the debacle with Denby needing new injectors, DPF and two EGRs I’ve been using posh diesel and adding cleaner when I can’t find that.

Filling up the other day in the UK I did the mental arithmetic and posh diesel costs about £14 extra over a full tank. RedX diesel additive costs £3 for the same tank £6 if you double up.

Is posh diesel from a big refinery actually that much better - or at all than the tiny extra hassle of a bottle of cleaner?
On a 200ltr tank and if my mental arithmetic is right, that's an extra 14p+ a litre.
How bigs your tank because around here , it's only 5p a litre extra? 🤔

PS. I put a small bottle of Redex in mine about once every 2 months in the winter.
It certainly makes a difference!

The best advice I can give after many years of fixing, owning and operating heavy diesels is, only use the top 2/3rds of your fuel tank, the bottom third is where you will find any water and crud if there is any. Injector tips don't like dirty watered down diesel!

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2024
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Hobby T500 LHD
Exp
Spring 2024
"... The best advice I can give after many years of fixing, owning and operating heavy diesels is, only use the top 2/3rds of your fuel tank, the bottom third is where you will find any water and crud if there is any. Injector tips don't like dirty watered down diesel!"

Interesting! I tend not to run my 80 litre tank down much below 20 litres before filling up again.

Query: If I want to get rid of "crud" in the bottom 1/3rd. What is the least worst way to do it?

Dose what is left with diesel additive?
Do a run at a constant low speed on the motorway?
Do a run at a constant high speed on the motorway?
Other?

I only run the MoHo really low (under 10 litres) when about to put BP Ultimate in the tank. Seems a shame to dilute the really good stuff like that with "vin ordinaire" supermarket fuel and crud!!

However with the car I have almost always run it down to the last 5 litres or less before filling to the brim (60 litres). That is to stop the build up of crud in the first place!!

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Maybe different laws over there.
Here, red is for agriculture machines and small boats.
Get caught with red in your tank you're looking for a new vehicle AND a mortgage to pay the fine.
Red is exactly the same as road diesel with a red dye.
The dye is indelible so once it's been in the tank its red for life.....even if later filled with regular diesel.
No ,it is actually worse here.
Theoretically & legally you cannot buy red without either a licence, a self employed card or a business card. But ,especially in country areas ,once they know you aren't a plant, then you can buy it with cash.I assume they add it to someone elses 'usage' as sales have to tally with amounts for people legally able to buy it.

(30% France)
I try to run through without filling if I can
I do put super-unleaded
I was advised to use that in all my power tools & it definitely helps especially stopping the gumming up of the idle feed on small stuff.
I should really do some Italian tuning occasionally, a lot of our driving is with the auto in 9th doing 1500 rpm.
you should

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
"... The best advice I can give after many years of fixing, owning and operating heavy diesels is, only use the top 2/3rds of your fuel tank, the bottom third is where you will find any water and crud if there is any. Injector tips don't like dirty watered down diesel!"

Interesting! I tend not to run my 80 litre tank down much below 20 litres before filling up again.

Query: If I want to get rid of "crud" in the bottom 1/3rd. What is the least worst way to do it?

Dose what is left with diesel additive?
Do a run at a constant low speed on the motorway?
Do a run at a constant high speed on the motorway?
Other?

I only run the MoHo really low (under 10 litres) when about to put BP Ultimate in the tank. Seems a shame to dilute the really good stuff like that with "vin ordinaire" supermarket fuel and crud!!

However with the car I have almost always run it down to the last 5 litres or less before filling to the brim (60 litres). That is to stop the build up of crud in the first place!!

Personally, I always use Esso or one of the main brands but, if I thought, after months of standing still over winter, I had accumulated crud in my tank, I would run it down to nearly empty, drain and flush.

If the tank had no drain plug, I have a large Syphon with a long pipe that I used to use to top up the final drive on big Cats. and trucks.
It hold about a gallon and comes in handy for many things but I'm sure there are other things out there?

Make sure you have at least 5galloons to put back in before go to fill up. (Don't ask me how I know!) 😄
Not forgetting a new fuel filter of course!

Jul 25, 2017
scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
Since 2017
Maybe different laws over there.
Here, red is for agriculture machines and small boats.
Get caught with red in your tank you're looking for a new vehicle AND a mortgage to pay the fine.
Red is exactly the same as road diesel with a red dye.
The dye is indelible so once it's been in the tank its red for life.....even if later filled with regular diesel.
I would disagree with you on that one pappajohn. I used to get 25 litre containers of red diesel from a pal of mine which I used to run my work van on from time to time and the day we got stopped and checked it was ordinary diesel it was running on. They took a sample, then returned it and told us to get on our merry way.

May 21, 2021
Cambridgeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Pilote 740FGJ
Exp
Since 1986
Diesel is Diesel.
The only difference is the additives which boost cetane and clean the engine.
Supermarkets add the minimum quantity whereas expensive stuff has more additives
I would’nt touch supermarket fuel, I sold a motor home to a fuel analyst some years ago, long story short, the major fuel suppliers ie BP Shell etc rely on selling fuel, their profits are largely linked to fuel, unlike Tesco and alike they don’t sell cabbages, legs of lamb.
Like pappajohn suggests they sell fuel that’s fit for purpose, supermarket fuel may comply to British standards, But BS is only a minimum standard.
Secondly, I always use E5 petrol in a motorcycle, ethanol rots petrol tanks

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back