Is it worth buying a sim in the EU to get round the fair use roaming issue? (42 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Is it worth buying a sim in the EU to get round the fair use roaming issue?
It may well be.
When you find out how and where you can do it, tell us.

It would be good to find a company close to the EU ports where we can get to from the UK.
(Rotterdam, Calais, Le Havre, Dieppe, Cherbourg, St Marlo, Roscoff, Santander, Bilbao, Dublin)

Don't bother with Germany, you need a German ID and German address to buy a SIM card in Germany.
Many countries limit SIM cards to non residents to stop 'burner' phones being used for drug dealing.

Upvote 0
Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
Why not just buy an esim for the country you intend to visit?
You don’t get much data.

I use Lebara when I need to in France. Just put my passport number and campsite address in the registration and off you go. 👍

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
Don't understand this lark but i've just spent over a £100 in a week to use my pay as you go Giff Gaff in Switzerland.
I believe uploading photos takes a lot of digga dots.
Will get HRH to look into a sim if we come again.

Upvote 0

Bustup15

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 25, 2018
Durham
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs I 7820-2
Exp
New to motorhomes 2019
You can get anything you want? For example 30 days unlimited data in France for £56
You don’t get much data.

I use Lebara when I need to in France. Just put my passport number and campsite address in the registration and off you go. 👍

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2019
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2019
Don't understand this lark but i've just spent over a £100 in a week to use my pay as you go Giff Gaff in Switzerland.
I believe uploading photos takes a lot of digga dots.
Will get HRH to look into a sim if we come again.
I use EE UK unlimited data (£32 pcm). It has pretty comprehensive UK cover. If you add the EU roaming I get my full (I have checked this with them and have a record of the chat) data allowance in the EU, USA, Australia, plus a couple of others. It is £2.47 a day, If you are going to be there for more than 10 days, you can add a monthly Roam Abroad pass for £25. It worked a treat on our last trip to France and Spain with good service throughout. All done via the EE app. Just remember to cancel the £25 option before the next month starts.
Safe and happy travels.

Upvote 0
Jan 2, 2017
Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2010
It is quite frustrating how initial (pre-B) assurances about the ability to continue roaming turned to dust.

I find Popit quite satisfactory. I did need to use some UK data before I could ‘park’ it on £1 per month but that wasn’t too difficult.

Upvote 0
Nov 22, 2018
South East but not London
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp
Five years plus three tugging
It is quite frustrating how initial (pre-B) assurances about the ability to continue roaming turned to dust.

I find Popit quite satisfactory. I did need to use some UK data before I could ‘park’ it on £1 per month but that wasn’t too difficult.

I am caught in the Popit trap. £13 a month and I can't cancel the bloody thing until I have used a ridiculous amount of data in UK, because I used about 5GB in Europe back in May.

I will definitely be getting an unlimited data, French SIM on day one, on my next trip.

Upvote 0

grasscutter

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 11, 2009
East Wittering. West Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i588
Exp
Started in 1980
I am caught in the Popit trap. £13 a month and I can't cancel the bloody thing until I have used a ridiculous amount of data in UK, because I used about 5GB in Europe back in May.

I will definitely be getting an unlimited data, French SIM on day one, on my next trip.
The easiest thing is to download some tv programmes. It quickly uses the data and makes you roaming compliant.

Upvote 0
Jul 24, 2023
Funster No
MH
RPMOTORHOMES Rebel
Exp
New to van life
It seems, from my reading of their web site, they have a fair use policy so you only get 50Gbyte per month when in EU for the £25 add-on “Roam Abroad Pass”. So that’s quite expensive as you have to get in to a 24 month contract with them which costs about £20/month. Or have I misunderstood something?

Upvote 0
Aug 16, 2024
Hertfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
dipping a toe
3x 60GB monthly contract with ID mobile should give you 90GB (30GB per sim), I've not done this, but its a month by month contract so you can terminate if there fair usage policy kicks in...
1727076452567.png

Upvote 0
Jan 2, 2017
Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2010

I found it fairly easy in that I could park the van next to the house, connect to the van Wi-Fi, and simply use that. It didn’t take all that long. There’s a Popit dial on an app where you can see how far you still have to go.

I was initially a bit grumpy because I didn’t know this was a ‘rule’ they had introduced. (Wouldn't it be nice to have regulators that actually look after our interests?)

Not ideal but acceptable.

Upvote 0
Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016

How much data do you need to use? Just leave your phone silently playing videos overnight?

Upvote 0
May 21, 2019
South Coast
Funster No
MH
Bailey Advance
Exp
Since 2015
I bought a tourist Vodafone sim in Spain which was then capped in Portugal to 5 Gb, there are so many bear traps in this business ....

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2019
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2019

I may be mistaken, but, according to my French neighbour, there are now fair usage limits between some EU member countries.

Upvote 0
Jan 2, 2017
Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2010
I may be mistaken, but, according to my French neighbour, there are now fair usage limits between some EU member countries.
As I understand it they (the companies) have to apply for a ‘derogation’ from the general assumption of roaming freedom. And in order to succeed they need to demonstrate that they couldn’t allow unlimited roaming without this resulting in an increase in domestic pricing.

So customer protection, with clear rights, and companies have to apply for an exemption and have to be able to demonstrate necessity.

Upvote 0
Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
We British do OK 👌. We've had visitors from Poland twice and I have to give them the house Wifi password, apparently data for them in the UK is very expensive, they didn't say how much but none of them paid it.
They only wanted to use WhatsApp /messenger and browser so hardly needed any 🤔

Upvote 0
Jan 2, 2017
Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2010
We British do OK 👌. We've had visitors from Poland twice and I have to give them the house Wifi password, apparently data for them in the UK is very expensive, they didn't say how much but none of them paid it.
As ever there are different anecdotes available. 😀

My internet in poor little Portugal is much faster than in the UK (officially 1,000 mbps but I always have half that available). In the UK it’s perfectly adequate but not that good. But mobile data is expensive in Portugal.

And in Northern Europe internet and data provision is often excellent.

But the key thing to my mind is whose interests are placed front and centre in regulation - mine or Vodafone’s?

Upvote 0
Aug 16, 2024
Hertfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
dipping a toe
isn't it comforting to know that UK telco's are not prejudice, they'll rip off anyone of any colour, race, sexuality, or age

Upvote 0

Al n Val

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2019
West Yorkshire occasionally
Funster No
MH
Rapido i1090 Distinc
Exp
since 2018
Digi in Spain
Unlimited dat & calls =20€ also all calls are free when used in the Uk & calling uk land & mobile numbers but data in Uk is restricted to 23Gb.

I agree

we were down in Almerimar earlier this year and needed a bit of data, 13€ got me a Digi 200gb sim for a month and really good speeds as well 👍

Upvote 0
Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
3 years 30,000 miles UK and Europe.. Campsites and off Grid.
You don’t get much data.

Depends where you are. I seem to remember Bosnia or Montenegro (somewhere like that ) was 300gb for 5 euros/2 weeks.

Upvote 0
Jan 23, 2022
Cornwall, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift 686
Exp
Escaping since 2012
There are plenty of esim options, they are easy to use and you don't have to change SIM cards. Some are app based like Airalo, worked very well in Morocco. Just used Maya for Egypt also okay, they also do an unlimited data SIM, £40 for France.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back