Is it worth buying a sim in the EU to get round the fair use roaming issue? (16 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Nov 22, 2018
South East but not London
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp
Five years plus three tugging
There are plenty of esim options, they are easy to use and you don't have to change SIM cards. Some are app based like Airalo, worked very well in Morocco. Just used Maya for Egypt also okay, they also do an unlimited data SIM, £40 for France.

I don't think you can use esim in a MIFI router. I might be wrong.

Upvote 0
Sep 30, 2021
South West, UK
Funster No
MH
Wildax PVC
Exp
2yrs in & over 20% of nights 'out'
3x 60GB monthly contract with ID mobile should give you 90GB (30GB per sim), I've not done this, but its a month by month contract so you can terminate if there fair usage policy kicks in...
View attachment 954040
And better deals can be found (eg. on uswitch and/or quidco) 3 x 30Gb max per SIM/month (total £21 = 90Gb EU).
But you have to juggle - and be sure to set a zero 'spend cap' if using Mifi as you won't see texts!

If you're OK with VPN, then a local SIM should be even better value.
(definitely cheaper than Starlink @ £96/mth :giggler:)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I bought a Réglo sim in a LeClerc supermarket. It gives me 50Gb of data for €6.95 a month plus a one-off payment of €5 for the sim card. It's a PAYG card and you can set it on their app to renew monthly or not.

Of course you can't stream UK TV with it unless you use a VPN which I haven't bothered with.

I only needed to show my passport, no French address needed although I was ready to give a campsite address if necessary. The fact we weren't staying there is another matter...

The 50Gb package was all that was available at the time as a PAYG, to get more data you had to sign up to a contract but their website now seems to be offering better "non-commitment" deals.

I use it in a Teltonika router which takes 2 sim cards but it would be fine in a mifi. I had no problems setting it up.

Upvote 0

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
I use EE UK unlimited data (£32 pcm). It has pretty comprehensive UK cover. If you add the EU roaming I get my full (I have checked this with them and have a record of the chat) data allowance in the EU, USA, Australia, plus a couple of others. It is £2.47 a day, If you are going to be there for more than 10 days, you can add a monthly Roam Abroad pass for £25. It worked a treat on our last trip to France and Spain with good service throughout. All done via the EE app. Just remember to cancel the £25 option before the next month starts.
Safe and happy travels.
You may find it worthwhile to change to EE broadband at home. My package recently renewed is £29 per month fibre broadband and £10 month unlimited data and including roaming anytime. I did have to ring up and negotiate though and I already had the roaming part negotiated on my last package.
Basically try and keep the price constant and get more data on each yearly renewal.

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I agree

we were down in Almerimar earlier this year and needed a bit of data, 13€ got me a Digi 200gb sim for a month and really good speeds as well 👍
Where I have breakfast, the bar has wifi .It isn't a lot & my phone will always go for the wifi first. When I turn it off the Digi speed averages around 150down(y)

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back