Insulating an oven - what to use? (2 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I know there was a thread on here about an oven not being great and some people suggested putting insulation round it, can anyone tell me what insulation type I'd need as I'd like to do mine and don't want to end up with an indoor bonfire! :oops:

Dec 19, 2020
The salty bit of Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2017
I know there was a thread on here about an oven not being great and some people suggested putting insulation round it, can anyone tell me what insulation type I'd need as I'd like to do mine and don't want to end up with an indoor bonfire! :oops:
Let me know how you get on doing that as I've thought about it for mine. I may as well let you climb the 'steep learning curve'. ;)

Upvote 0
Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
The fibres from some of those ceramic refractory blankets can be a bit nasty if breathed in. Probably ok once fitted, but best wear a dust mask when cutting it to size.
You can buy a "rigidizer" ( just be careful if you Google it !) which you spray onto the blanket and it holds the fibres securely in place.

Upvote 0
Sep 28, 2015
Kingston upon Hull, East Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
2001 Caravans 2011 Motorhomes
The fibres from some of those ceramic refractory blankets can be a bit nasty if breathed in. Probably ok once fitted, but best wear a dust mask when cutting it to size.
You can buy a "rigidizer" ( just be careful if you Google it !) which you spray onto the blanket and it holds the fibres securely in place.
I wore a mask and gloves when I was cutting it to shape.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
There's various types of this ceramic stuff, does it need the aluminium one one side or not at all?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Next question, what thickness?

Upvote 0
Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
I think I remember Lenny HB insulated one of his Tech Tower Ovens years back using some sort of ceramic fibre board which he cut to size. I think he was more concerned about the excessive heat produced above the oven, not just the performance of the oven itself.
I have to say, it sure gets hot up there, one of the reasons, but not the main one, that we don't use our oven very often, except for warming up the odd Pizza or pie, I just don't trust the the thermometer settings, even pre warming you can forget the usual cook times also.
PS: I will never forget what a dealer sales guy said to me years ago now, but still true Quote: They are nothing like as good as your home oven, you gotta remember this is camping gear after all!:rolleyes:
His best ever quote was: Compared with an Alde wet heating system, warm air types are just fan heaters in biscuit tins!:LOL:
I have to agree with him unfortunately, its Funny the things you remember all your life isn't it.
LES

Upvote 0

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
Next question, what thickness?
The stuff I used was about an inch thick, and yes, was double sided aluminium. It's quite compressible to slot down the sides. Don't put it down the back... Or at least, I didn't. It's not combustible. But I didn't want to block the air low when running on gas.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
I also made up a slab of the ceramic insulation which sits in the bottom of our grill as our oven is below our grill with no insulation between the two, so the oven heat was bleeding through to the grill above. We just remove the slab of insulation when we use the grill.

Upvote 0
Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
I think the insulation I used was 25mm. No foil on it, I used 50mm foil duct tape to hold it on but don't know if that's dropped off by now, must be going on 10 years ago. I had a thought earlier you can wrap chicken wire round it to hold it on šŸ‘

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
i USED A SOLId ceramic/cement board from B&Q about 4mm thick. cant remember name and its not on the offcut i got left. Used a jig saw to cut fresh blade each cut. Easy to use and did the job in thermaly issolating wood pannels next to oven. used to get really hot.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back