Hymer Conversion to Lithium

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer BMLi880
Exp
Owned a MH since 2012
Decided to 'bite the bullet' and replace my version of the Hymer 'Smart' Battery system with a full blown lithium set-up. Reason: I have an issue with one of the AGMs and whilst the system has generally served me well it seems pointless to buy 3 new AGMs when there are lots of cost effective lithium alternatives. Just wanted to run my plans past those with more technical knowledge or experience of similar:

Fit 2 x 230Ah LifePO4 Batteries
Change EBL settings to Lithium profile via the control panel - this will enable me to continue using the charging module (20A).
Remove the two auxiliary chargers (LAS 1218 & LAS1218 BUS) as neither has a lithium setting.
Fit a new mains charger to work alongside the EBL module (50A).
Replace Schaudt LRM1218 Solar Regulator with a Votronic one with lithium profile. (currently have 240w of solar but may well add another 200w to this after the winter - so I could go large with the new MPPT in anticipation of this increase in size).
Fit a votronic computer and votronic solar monitor.
Inverter to stay - normal factory fitted Dometic 1800w.
Everything else eg, cables etc seems to be fine.
Any observations / suggestions welcome.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Can I ask

Other than setting the Lithium Profile did you make any other changes to the Schaudt B2B set up? (I was going to take out the temp and voltage sensors as not required with new Lithium with own BMS). Like everything Schaudt and Hymer, it works well enough but complicated always difficult to follow the wiring logic etc so didn’t want to interfere with it too much.
Thanks
I took out the schaudt chargers as I fitted a Victron Multiplus 2000a charger inverter I have basically left the EBL TO WORK THE 12v systems as it always has and took away its charging capacity and left that to a new multiplus and a new victron 30a smart b2b and extra solar panels on a new victron mppt solar controller.😊and everything goes through the new bus bars.😊

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
So in theory I could just re route the Aircon and fridge connections to the inverter circuit.
You don't want the fridge on the inverter circuit.

In my Carthago I ditched the Schaudt B2B and fitted a Victron 50amp Orion XS. didn't think much of the way the Schaudt handles Lithium.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
I also installed a battery master but also have the option of trickle charge from Multiplus if on EHU.
Interestingly I found that if you are moving frequently the B2B does all the charging and solars just top up as and when required so probably didn’t need the extra as most of the time we are out we are on the continent in the sunshine however I suspect at home they will help a little I haven’t needed to put van on EHU since returning from Spain in May and van has been pretty much stood up since due to my hospital appointments as I have been diagnosed with prostate cancer and it’s regular visits.😊

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back