Hymer black tank macerator project (2 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I would try it on EHU. My guess is possibly duff leisure batteries. The macerator is stalled due to the low voltage. Good batteries should be able to produce 28A without dropping to 7V. On EHU the charger should be able to hold a higher voltage and the macerator will then work.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
If your leisure battery is sh1t, don't attempt to dispose of it down the toilet ..... :LOL:

Seriously though, great thread! I also liked that someone mentioned toilets from boats have similar setups, though as with motorhoming, nothing on boats comes cheap!

Did you just keep all the silicone pipes connected to each other or did you add inserts of some sort as someone suggested?

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Macerator motor problem, the volt drop and amp draw suggests something like motor brushes buggered but maybe its brushless. Either way my first try would be to replace the pump motor. Or it could be hair wound around the macerator blade jamming it? You do regularly clear that??

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I would try it on EHU. My guess is possibly duff leisure batteries. The macerator is stalled due to the low voltage. Good batteries should be able to produce 28A without dropping to 7V. On EHU the charger should be able to hold a higher voltage and the macerator will then work.

Having similar thoughts, itā€™s five years since we replaced the gel batteries, but have now used Langtoftlad Stephens lithium brick device šŸ‘šŸ‘šŸ‘ very impressed makes no difference to macerator operation

Reactions: DBK
OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Did you just keep all the silicone pipes connected to each other or did you add inserts of some sort as someone suggested?

Still left as originally fitted except adding more bends and joints due to needing to lower the position šŸ¤”šŸ˜³ worked fine for five years, at some point my luck to improve šŸ˜

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Macerator motor problem, the volt drop and amp draw suggests something like motor brushes buggered but maybe its brushless. Either way my first try would be to replace the pump motor. Or it could be hair wound around the macerator blade jamming it? You do regularly clear that??
Just had a quick look Michael (no tools involved ;)) the pump does indeed seem to be blocked/jammed in some way, it jumps when the power is applied but it doesn't spin.

Reactions: DBK
OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough

Consensus now is seized motor in macerator , but no never had had any desire to clean inside šŸ¤”

As just posted by funflair , continued thanks Martin for your ongoing support of our Hymer šŸ‘šŸ˜ odd that you are here for this next stage having helped diagnose more intimately that first macerator failure šŸ˜³šŸ‘

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Consensus now is seized motor in macerator , but no never had had any desire to clean inside šŸ¤”

As just posted by funflair , continued thanks Martin for your ongoing support of our Hymer šŸ‘šŸ˜ odd that you are here for this next stage having helped diagnose more intimately that first macerator failure šŸ˜³šŸ‘
I had a set of long surgical clamps, with a slight bend. I used to check the blades after every use. Mine was a removable setup on the exterior evacuation connection. You do need to be prepared for the regular maintenance. I also carried a complete wired up spare. Just consider yourself as a mother with a newborn and you'll be fine.šŸ˜‰

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp

PS I did once have visitor who put a tampax down the loo, now those strings are a real pain to clearšŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Replacement ordered, next weeks project, most interesting difference only 9A hoping that might be reflected in Db levels, current one is particularly loud šŸ¤”

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Replacement ordered, next weeks project, most interesting difference only 9A hoping that might be reflected in Db levels, current one is particularly loud šŸ¤”

Out of interest what breaker/fuse have got protecting this circuit. Either should have cut out with that sort of problem. So I suspect either too large or not at all. Circa 20amp but check the manual for instruction.

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Out of interest what breaker/fuse have got protecting this circuit. Either should have cut out with that sort of problem. So I suspect either too large or not at all. Circa 20amp but check the manual for instruction.

Very good point, the Hymer control board has a 25A fuse which we did blow with holding the on button too long when checking things

Just fitted new pump, actually swapped for one with different inlet fitting , Sureflo in Wakefield excellent knowledge and support šŸ‘šŸ‘

It only has a 7A pump compared 28A, but it only runs literally for a couple of seconds to empty the toilet bowl and is designed to empty black tanks

I am thinking of fitting a lower rated fuse šŸ‘

All good to go again, the alternatives were not much fun šŸ¤”šŸ™ sadly lower Amps hasnā€™t appeared to reduce Dbā€™s, but I think Bev would rather things vanished, even if noisily šŸ¤”šŸ˜

Itā€™s not that bad, but not tried listening from outside yet, away with family this weekend they will soon let us know šŸ™„šŸ™‚

I have also taken out a bend, hoping the outflow from bowl will be easier now

Still taking my chances with the silicone hoses šŸ¤”šŸ™‚ but having really struggled to get them apart even without jubilee clips and having done five years since fitting , I appear to have gambled well for a change šŸ˜

IMG_1048.jpeg

I have since photo wrapped it back up in an old cat blanket to helpfully cut down a bit more noise

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
It only has a 7A pump compared 28A, but it only runs literally for a couple of seconds to empty the toilet bowl and is designed to empty black tanks

Now the pump is out I have checked the label, it says to use a 20A fuse with a max designed draw of 15A

So the 28A seen on the Hymer controller and I think verified by Martins loop meter would suggest something was seriously wrong

I did try and get it apart but one screw is stuck solid, I can rotate the impellor but there is a rubbery squeak , I have now lost interest in it, think we now have a better pump and will add the old one to our scrap metal for the tip šŸ‘

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Now the pump is out I have checked the label, it says to use a 20A fuse with a max designed draw of 15A

So the 28A seen on the Hymer controller and I think verified by Martins loop meter would suggest something was seriously wrong

I did try and get it apart but one screw is stuck solid, I can rotate the impellor but there is a rubbery squeak , I have now lost interest in it, think we now have a better pump and will add the old one to our scrap metal for the tip šŸ‘
You can wash your hand now then David ;)

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
actually swapped for one with different inlet fitting , Sureflo in Wakefield excellent knowledge and support šŸ‘šŸ‘

Not too sure where I dreamt up their name

It is Uniflo šŸ¤”šŸ‘

Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
FourWinds Windsport 6.8L V10
Not sure if it useful but have you ever seen an RV external macerator set up?
I have a short concertina pipe from Y junction where great and black meet. Attach pipe down through locker and macerator sits on the floor underneath. Then 1"(?) Pipe in as many lengths as I want with snap joints. Reaches most elsan points and I have a remote 12V switch in my pocket so I can hold the nasty end securely.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I have a short concertina pipe from Y junction where great and black meet. Attach pipe down through locker and macerator sits on the floor underneath. Then 1"(?) Pipe in as many lengths as I want with snap joints. Reaches most elsan points and I have a remote 12V switch in my pocket so I can hold the nasty end securely.
you wouldn't want that getting away :unsure: :LOL:

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough

I think the pump I now have would do that same job, plus boat tanks

Our issue is we need to macerate into the black tank then out by gravity , although I could attach a similar pump and pump away to an elsan, double blended šŸ˜

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
Itā€™s gone!!šŸ˜¢
Exp
4 yearsā€¦.
Similar to my ā€œmust haveā€ set up Iā€™ve used once and that was a test on my drivešŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚
Most everywhere I have been in over 2 years has had drive over waste dump so never had to get it outšŸ˜
Have about 60m of hose also!!
1692126077681.jpeg

TheBig1

Deceased RIP
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I think your excess noise is vibration because it is not mounted securely with rubber isolators. The pump is usually screwed down flat and the outlets and inlets plumbed from there. You would need to create a support frame, otherwise the vibration on the pipes will cause a right racket

I took a look at a macerator toilet a friend had installed in his attic which was noisy enough to wake the house at night if flushed. The pipework was loose and allowed to vibrate. Some proper clamps solved it. Mind you I went ott and put more than needed but it fixed the noise with a few hours of work

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back