Hymer black tank macerator project (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

Kim H

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 24, 2011
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
Since 2011
@DavidG58 we've met people that have changed from the Jet toilet, that Hymer fitted, to a Marine toilet. Might be worth investigating?

Reactions: DBK
OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
08:00 knock on door postman with the oddest looking parcel we have ever received :)

7C14952D-B66A-463E-8DE3-ABF62FAEFBA9.jpeg

Took it upstairs Bev looked positively worried :LOL:

I unwrapped my selection of 'bits' from a great little firm supplying silicone tubing in all sizes colours and various shapes and adaptors (y)

Started putting a few bits together and realised a small issue, I had bought 'sleeves' to join some of the tubes together and still keep full bore pipe size, trouble was I now think the data sheet was slightly out, or maybe my maths were, :whistle:

the tubing has a wall thickness of 4.5mm, so in theory a 25mm pipe should fit snugly into a 34mm sleeve, but it doesn't, it fits but a little too easily (read loose) but having bought just about every similar size they make I happen to have a piece 32mm, annoyingly it fits beautifully into that o_O

Still no stopping me now, I have a load of bits the sun is shining, I either go shopping, talk to Mum or mend the loo :) no contest, after shopping and checking on mum I will do the loo, or so Bev says (y)

310C0099-939A-4860-A793-E566711DBB0E.jpeg

I have already had a rush of blood to the head moment and bought 2 90 degree bend adaptors to suit the new macerator, although they are more or less the right size, due to inlet outlet positions on the macerator and space available the bends are redundant

No problem I get back on line and order pretty much one of everything and a few doubles of things from 25 - 44mm :LOL: only joking but the bill did come to £63 o_O

So now here I am pretty much for the first time offering up the macerator to the outlet fro the toilet, pretty much immediately noticed that now I have a better suited inlet adaptor, 2 bends and a 'sleeve' and we are out of here :)

And that it pretty much what happened next nearly all of above bits are ‘extras’ :LOL:

followed by a few tweaks to get the level of the outlet pipe pretty much the same as the old one, only to find it make no odds as this device holds water where as the old one dribbled though, so for real life example, if you had a wee the level in the bowl never rose, this one has to be activated to discharge. I guess it makes sense if being used as a tank outlet it would need to hold (y)

18A1B555-DCD7-40B9-80AF-0453EDC2AA0A.jpeg

F8E487FC-9BEF-4AD0-B667-2012482A569D.jpeg

No problem, other than when tested I can only say the closest noise I recall hearing in my lifetime my old Grandma used to call 'old moaner' the fog horns at Thanet lighthouse :) boy it does sound loud, anybody parking near us might as well run a generator it would be quieter :LOL:

It might just be the newness, making it sound loud, might be looking for some insulation, the toilet unused cassette area will make for quite a good boom box o_O

I have even fitted a temporary support piece and remounted the control board which still works (y)

Even put a bit of cut off hose to possibly reduce vibration noise

22C6B676-8854-4011-B234-29FBCA5E8C14.jpeg

So we are good to go (y)

Attachments

• 22962B00-74D6-4C63-BF5A-BBD259AE7C99.jpeg
    22962B00-74D6-4C63-BF5A-BBD259AE7C99.jpeg
    82.5 KB · Views: 40
Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I was only guessing and making those lucky ones with carry away poo boxes slightly jealous

Now they are mocking me even more than before and I am even less inclined to fix it :LOL:

But it does account for why it never seemed to last as long as would have thought :)(y)
Tough sh** ?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Well you already know the pipes and connectors would cost more than £160 from Hymer so your already saving money.
Make double sure all the connections are secure... That macerator will be like a fireman's hose Compered to the original toy one.
They are designed to pump over MANY meters AND uphill.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Kim H

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 24, 2011
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
Since 2011
We're impressed David! Anthony says you need to put a peeled banana in the bowl now to do a 'solids' test ;):LOL:

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
Be warned you have engineered yourself a time bomb , trying to tighten a silicone hose onto a silicone hose. . The hoses should be tightened onto ali or steel pipes, these items are normally for coolant or turbo . It will be OK to use a straight pipe rather than humped as you should not have that much pressure . You can probably rescue the set up by fitting a steel or ali pipe inside the smaller hose where the larger hose is clamped to it to support. @DavidG58

Last edited:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I've found a drawing of what you need to make with all your bits. But on a serious note, well done, I'm sure you will crack it. :)

heath_robinson_pancake.jpeg

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
Well done David, I await the next instalment (not literally), which presumably will be the “shit hitting the fan” episode:whistle:

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Great result David - well done !

It’s very satisfying when you can fix things yourself.

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
DAVID, just so you don’t feel as though it all happens to you, I had my very own @DavidG58 moment on the way back from the FFF meet, fridge door flew open and smashed the bottom hanging point off the door, remembering your tribulations from a few years ago, I searched the forum and found that our good mucker @Terry had offered a solution to you, after ringing Terry (cheers Terry) he was able to tell me how he adapted your door, no ordering fridges that won’t go through the van door for me matey, job done, cheers David, you are a learning curve inspiration to us all. (y)

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
@Kim H i was inspired by your proposal

No bananas to hand but found some past their best kiwi fruit possibly more realistic of my own offerings :)

BF4AFBAF-95E0-4ABB-9ED9-30F36CB9031B.jpeg

Looks worse than I thought it might o_O

Gave it a flush one vanished (y)

Not other 2 :(

Glad we were playing with fruit, I man handled them and offered up to outlet they are too big, ie over 44mm (y)

So proved it works flushed twice since no resistance at all (y)

4FCA1C7D-5DA3-4098-82D0-28B9616A04DB.jpeg

Excess put in sink,

again so pleased it was fruit :)

3462DAFF-BD51-4779-8503-15811C7DBC5E.jpeg

Lymington will be the real test, hopefully the hose connections will hold up, have to say they seem very well stuck by friction alone even without the jubilee clips (y)

Positive thoughts please :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
DAVID, just so you don’t feel as though it all happens to you, I had my very own @DavidG58 moment on the way back from the FFF meet, fridge door flew open and smashed the bottom hanging point off the door, remembering your tribulations from a few years ago, I searched the forum and found that our good mucker @Terry had offered a solution to you, after ringing Terry (cheers Terry) he was able to tell me how he adapted your door, no ordering fridges that won’t go through the van door for me matey, job done, cheers David, you are a learning curve inspiration to us all. (y)

Watch out for the top pin ours ended up at about 45 degree angle and has been realigned but now feels like the weakest link

Terry lifted our door as high as it would but still get very wary if door is loaded and awnings open, another w@nk Hymer design equally supported by the cr@p build quality of Dometic :mad:

Andy 63 had to save us last December when the top pin gave way again, possibly the door was heavily loaded with tonic though :whistle:

Glad you got sorted (y)

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
@Kim H i was inspired by your proposal

No bananas to hand but found some past their best kiwi fruit possibly more realistic of my own offerings :)

View attachment 247294

Looks worse than I thought it might o_O

Gave it a flush one vanished (y)

Not other 2 :(

Glad we were playing fruit man handled them and offered up to outlet they are too big ie over 44mm (y)

So proved it works flushed twice since no resistance at all (y)

View attachment 247295

Excess put in sink,

again so pleased it was fruit :)

View attachment 247296

Lymington will be the real test, hopefully the hose connections will hold up, have to say they seem very well stuck by friction alone even without the jubilee clips (y)

I'm not coming round yours for fruit salad now:LOL:

Martin

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
Watch out for the top pin ours ended up at about 45 degree angle and has been realigned but now feels like the weakest link

Terry lifted our door as high as it would but still get very wary if door is loaded and awnings open, another w@nk Hymer design equally supported by the cr@p build quality of Dometic :mad:

Andy 63 had to save us last December when the top pin gave way again, possibly the door was heavily loaded with tonic though :whistle:

Glad you got sorted (y)
I released the top pin to get the door back on, back on tight although lifting the door a Knats might be a good idea. Pretty sure our door came off because of all the beer in the salad draw pushing against the door when we go around corners! Have to put salad in instead....not!:whistle:

Mr Mousy

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Sep 9, 2013
Llanelli
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840
Exp
First moho 11/2013, second 11/2014 current from 09/2019.
Well done David, I suggest when we are all at the Lymington meet you ask for volunteers to help fill your black tank so you can test your handiwork properly. I'll bring the gin if I can use your facilities.
@DavidG58

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
@Mr Mousy now I know how small the tank is that is not going to work Martin, but bring the gin anyway I hadn’t realised you were going to be back for this meet , will be nice to catch up (y)

Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Excess put in sink, again so pleased it was fruit :)

View attachment 247296

I believe that @DavidG58 is doing a special Gin mix that requires a slice of KIWI:censored:

Jammy

Free Member
Aug 2, 2018
Funster No
If the noise is vibration go see your local jaguar breaker and ask for an x350 pump mount frame. They use rubber and springs in combination to insulate on the last model XJ. I know hey work well as when I rebuilt my old pump I mounted the frame the wrong way and it made a right racket and when right I never knew it was there.

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
Be warned you have engineered yourself a time bomb , trying to tighten a silicone hose onto a silicone hose. . The hoses should be tightened onto ali or steel pipes, these items are normally for coolant or turbo . It will be OK to use a straight pipe rather than humped as you should not have that much pressure . You can probably rescue the set up by fitting a steel or ali pipe inside the smaller hose where the larger hose is clamped to it to support. @DavidG58

I think tacr2man is 100% right about this being a time bomb, i believe that once the pipes have stretched a bit by use you will end up with poo leaking everywhere. Have a look at this link and see if you can find the right size coupler they are not very expensive, also note they have a ridge at the end so once the clip is tightened the hose can't slide off.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I think tacr2man is 100% right about this being a time bomb, i believe that once the pipes have stretched a bit by use you will end up with poo leaking everywhere. Have a look at this link and see if you can find the right size coupler they are not very expensive, also note they have a ridge at the end so once the clip is tightened the hose can't slide off.
Should be no pressure in the outflow pipes as long as nobody puts their finger over the end, so I can understand peoples concern but don't think it will blow.

Martin

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
Should be no pressure in the outflow pipes as long as nobody puts their finger over the end, so I can understand peoples concern but don't think it will blow.

Martin

Well you may well be right Martin, but why take the risk for the few pounds that the couplers cost? If it was just clean water or even grey maybe, but the thought of having to clean up after a black water leak is something I personally would prefer not to risk, maybe I'm just a bit squeamish :)

It may also be worth noting that Viper can make custom one off pipes, the cost would depend on whether they have to make new tooling or modify existing but it is possible to do if required.

Kim H

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 24, 2011
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
Since 2011
DavidG58

Saw on the roof light thread you were undertaking more work on the macerator project, what you up to?

I replaced mine and obtained the same model that Hymer use in their upgrade from a marine chandlers.

Anthony

Last edited:
OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
DavidG58

Saw on the roof light thread you were undertaking more work on the macerator project, what you up to?

I replaced mine and obtained the same model that Hymer use in their upgrade from a marine chandlers.

Anthony

bit of plumbing modification

I mounted the macerator horizontally at the toilet outlet, it didn’t clear as well as I hoped. But I have found the macerator needs to be lower than what it is pumping

so it is now mounted vertically, more or less as the original was , just need an extra piece of pipe to reroute the outlet 👍

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Reopening my own old thread , can’t believe it’s 5 years old 🤔😳

Something isn’t working 🤔🙁 for a while now (earlier trips out this year) intermittently the macerator hasn’t not operated when button pressed , but always gone with a few presses

Until this weekend oddly and although possibly / probably related the flush pump on a separate switch acted similarly

Until this morning 🙁 the macerator just clicks rather like flat battery / starter motor combination. But the flush operation is now working every time, but darent keep trying that as bowl can only be emptied by macerator operation or hand bailing out 🤔🙁

Had my multi meter on the mini control board, this voltage reading matches my Hymer display for leisure battery at 12.9V

Reading the Hymer display I have now found that when macerator button is pressed the volts drop to 7V and the A’s drawn show 28A

Logic says 7V is too low to run the pump, but is it dropping because the macerator is faulty, don’t think jammed due to intermittently working fine

Waiting for Martin funflair to show his face , luckily we are in the same field this weekend 👍 hoping for inspiration

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back