How to Keep Mice out of Your Motorhome (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

CaptainPaul

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2017
The Land of Saints & Scholars ☘
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu ⛱
Exp
Since 1980s
Did somebody say RAT!!
received_1797232924116700.jpeg

Oct 18, 2022
South West
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 1992
Collected moho this morning to move to new storage yard. Yes another dead mouse. Seem to be coming from under the pedals .

Are they doing any damage? I’ve put a couple of traps baited with peanut butter in the engine bay today - be interesting to see what happens.

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
Are they doing any damage? I’ve put a couple of traps baited with peanut butter in the engine bay today - be interesting to see what happens.
I may be wrong, but surely you want to entice them away from the engine bay?
I would put my bait near but not in the engine bay? 🤔

Oct 18, 2022
South West
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 1992
I may be wrong, but surely you want to entice them away from the engine bay?
I would put my bait near but not in the engine bay? 🤔

I did have that thought but I figured if they’re there anyway, and they obviously are or have been recently, then I’ve got a chance of zapping them. The storage compound already use outside vermin traps. I’ve also sprayed exposed electrical wires with ‘MOTiP Cable Protector’ which seems to be quite popular on the continent. Leaves a sticky residue on the cables that apparently vermin don’t like. 🤞

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Vermin can smell food from a great distance. I wouldn’t have bait, or food any where near my van. Even poison blocks are bad for attracting them.

Oct 18, 2022
South West
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 1992
Vermin can smell food from a great distance. I wouldn’t have bait, or food any where near my van. Even poison blocks are bad for attracting them.

That’s sensible, but if they’ve already moved in you need to deal with it. I certainly wouldn’t use poison.
There doesn’t seem to be any consensus on the best way of dealing with vermin. For every suggestion on here there’s another saying it doesn’t work - what to believe? At the moment my only defence and deterrent is peppermint oil which seems to have quite a few advocates.

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2022
South West
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 1992
Sorry..... BUT that would be a Very Very Big red flag for me..
I would have to find another storage area....

It’s common practice in storage facilities of all kinds. All manner of stuff is vulnerable in storage and the longer the storage period the greater the risk. To take precautions makes a lot of sense.

Jan 28, 2016
Stockport, Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bravaria i740 AClass
We discovered they were in the van September time. They had been everywhere even in the garage. Ate cocktail sticks a plastic spoon, a deckchair and a bottle of touch up paint. No sign of damagd to wires yet. Cleaned up spent days fitting stainless steel mesh to all holes under the hab side of the van. They are still getting in, caught five now. Moved van from farm so hopefully should stop now but the cost of the new place is extortionate so as soon as we are clear and i have blocked up holes via engine bay we will look elsewhere.

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
That’s sensible, but if they’ve already moved in you need to deal with it.

If they've moved into your van, the only sensible thing to do is make sure there are no other food sources and trap them.

The cold weather just saw some move into one of our old stables that is now a shed, housing freezers and dog food ect. I didn't want to put poison down because we have a local owl very active here right now. I set 4 traps inside and caught four mice every night for 4 nights, then three, two, a couple of ones and we are now mice free in the shed.

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
It’s common practice in storage facilities of all kinds. All manner of stuff is vulnerable in storage and the longer the storage period the greater the risk. To take precautions makes a lot of sense.
Yet another reason I am glad i have space at home to stow my moho....
I really would not like to have my 'van in a compound away from home..
Infact if I had to resort to a storage compound i would not have a motorhome....
First consideration when we bought our house was " can i keep my caravan/motorhome here.. if not we would have looked elsewhere.!

Oct 18, 2022
South West
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 1992
Yet another reason I am glad i have space at home to stow my moho....
I really would not like to have my 'van in a compound away from home..
Infact if I had to resort to a storage compound i would not have a motorhome....
First consideration when we bought our house was " can i keep my caravan/motorhome here.. if not we would have looked elsewhere.!

Obvious ideal, but……..
I’ve used a local storage facility for about nearly 10 years and this is my first problem with rodents. Hopefully just a one-off.
I can park on my drive but it’s a steep incline and the van takes quite a battering in SW gales - quite frequent these days. Last time it was on the drive in a storm, rain blew in under the forward hatch and the fridge vent cover blew off never to be seen again!

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
Obvious ideal, but……..
Yea i know....and I have been ridiculed on "Fun" in the past by stating that the main criteria for me on a house purchase is onsite "caravan/motorhome storage.
Anything else is secondary..

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Yea i know....and I have been ridiculed on "Fun" in the past by stating that the main criteria for me on a house purchase is onsite "caravan/motorhome storage.
gus-lopez ... I said same ages ago on a similar thread and was basically ridiculed by some on here.🤣

Space for the van at home is a common requirement for most of us. You've mentioned this before. No one should be ridiculed here.. A quick check of your posting history and I must of missed this.

Point me to where you were ridiculed for wanting a house with space for your motorhome. Thanks

Westbarn1

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 25, 2019
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Hymer BMC-T 600
Exp
Parking at home a must for me too, we are between houses at the moment and living in our Hymer on the Daughter drive, until our new one is finished (end Jan) before I signed the developers contract I spotted the 'no motorhome or caravan clause' and flagged it to my solicitor and now have a written agreement that I will keep the motorhome away from our new home until the developer has finished/sold the 4 houses on the development, meanwhile he is going to pay us £100 a month towards storage.

Oct 18, 2022
South West
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 1992
I’m likely to be moving next summer and parking for the MH would certainly be high on the list of desirables. It would also save me £48 a month. However, it wouldn’t be a deal breaker, location & house would always win through. I think I’d also be wary about impact on neighbours. I’ve witnessed several disputes concerning work vans and MH parking and I really don’t want that kind of bother - life’s too short. I’d rather be sharing a beer with my neighbours than solicitors letters!

Last edited:

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
If they've moved into your van, the only sensible thing to do is make sure there are no other food sources and trap them.

The cold weather just saw some move into one of our old stables that is now a shed, housing freezers and dog food ect. I didn't want to put poison down because we have a local owl very active here right now. I set 4 traps inside and caught four mice every night for 4 nights, then three, two, a couple of ones and we are now mice free in the shed.
Do you put the caught mice put as a treat for the owls?

Westbarn1

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 25, 2019
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Hymer BMC-T 600
Exp
I’m likely to be moving next summer and parking for the MH would certainly be high on the list of desirables. It would also save me £48 a month. However, it wouldn’t be a deal breaker, location & house would always win through. I think I’d also be wary about impact on neighbours. I’ve witnessed several disputes concerning work vans and MH parking and I really don’t want that kind of bother - life’s too short. I’d rather be sharing a beer with my neighbours than solicitors letters!
Agree with that sentiment Bill, my house is at the end of the road and I'm having grass parking grids put in on the opposite side to my neighbour, so the motorhome will be out of sight of neighbours house down the side of mine and with a gate in front, plus a locking bollard.

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
Mine on next doors drive as my drive is too short. Better on his drive than on the road. Fortunately we have 7 great neighbours and 1 twat.
Kin freezing doing the jobs i wanted to do this am.
20231130_115736.jpg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back