How to Keep Mice out of Your Motorhome (2 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
I found a new tip . I put in a spraying bottle half of pure ammonia and half white vinegar, and I spray the mixture all around and underneath the van (I don't spray the tyres) . Instant running away! It smells like their worst predator's urine which are supposed to be birds of (s)pray (lol). I've done this in my caravan... never saw the one rat I had in, last winter. If it works for rats I bet it does for the mice! Do be careful though when spraying it, don't smell it on purpose ... it's really strong, and makes you dizzy!
Birds dont urinate

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Birds dont urinate
I have wondered as well when I read the article on the web, and thought exactly the same, but they never mentioned another animal. They said that birds of pray were their predators , but never said what animal's urine was smelling the same than the mixture....

Dec 19, 2020
The salty bit of Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2017
One of the yachting dodges was to mix cayenne pepper into the antifouling paint as the barnacles found that "it doth twysteth their digestion". Perhaps a bit mixed into cable sheathing during manufacture....

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Plenty of solutions in the states

Electrified and physical

1669469956781.png

1669469974766.png

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
One of the yachting dodges was to mix cayenne pepper into the antifouling paint as the barnacles found that "it doth twysteth their digestion". Perhaps a bit mixed into cable sheathing during manufacture....

Never heard about that one, however I never got barnacles on my hull in Greece in 30 years but come to think I never saw many anyway - maybe they do not like warm water.

As for pepper specially mixed into cable sheathing for yachts and motorhomes, I am sure chandleries would love that to sell it at double the price, but I doubt boat and motorhome builders would fall for it - they are too mean to put in thicker cables where they should.

Oct 28, 2022
Funster No
MH
Rapido
let the cat sleep in it….no self preserving mice will go near it

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Globe Traveller
Exp
40+
I don’ necessarily think plastic pipe is rodent proof, they got into a friends loft whilst he was away on holiday for three weeks,long story short they chewed through copper pipe and flooded the house it was wrecked walls,ceilings, floors, months before they could move back in.

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
Never heard about that one, however I never got barnacles on my hull in Greece in 30 years but come to think I never saw many anyway - maybe they do not like warm water.

As for pepper specially mixed into cable sheathing for yachts and motorhomes, I am sure chandleries would love that to sell it at double the price, but I doubt boat and motorhome builders would fall for it - they are too mean to put in thicker cables where they should.

I think mixing it into some sort of paste and then painting it over the cables might be worth a go if I ever get attacked. :unsure:

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
I don’ necessarily think plastic pipe is rodent proof, they got into a friends loft whilst he was away on holiday for three weeks,long story short they chewed through copper pipe and flooded the house it was wrecked walls,ceilings, floors, months before they could move back in.

Mice! chewing through copper pipes, that's a new one, could use him when doing plumbing in awkward situations. :LOL:

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Sonic deterrents do work well if if they have alternating frequencies. We have a decent one installed at the hangar where we keep our van. It’s to keep rodents and mainly the Martins away. They are also much more effective if used in a building rather than in open spaces.

We bring the van around to the house the night before we go away and have once had a Martin attack, just took out the turbo vacuum pressure pipe, found out half way through France…..

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
Probably plastic pipe.
I went to a mates last year and all the plasterboard was missing from the dining room. Mice had chewed through the plastic heating pipes and flooded the house.
Read #38 post, Littlewheels said "copper pipe" :giggle:

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Globe Traveller
Exp
40+
Mice! chewing through copper pipes, that's a new one, could use him when doing plumbing in awkward situations. :LOL:

Probably plastic pipe.
I went to a mates last year and all the plasterboard was missing from the dining room. Mice had chewed through the plastic heating pipes and flooded the house.
I did say Rodent so probably Rats but it was fourty years ago in a newly built house and they didn’t use Plastic pipes back then.

May 29, 2014
southampton
Funster No
MH
A frame
Exp
since 1985
Thank you 😊. Will give it all a go. We do take most food out but haven’t bothered with tins before 👍
Very important to take tins out, Although they cannot smell what is inside the crafty little buggers read the labels.
We just remove the labels.

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
I spray Jayes Fluid all round where the vehicles stand.
Also use Mothballs in the van and Battery Anti Vermin devices in all.
🤞
Mitch

Jan 1, 2013
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu 640
Exp
since May 2013
Has anyone fitted LED lights underneath their mh? If so, would you be willing to share a link and advice of how you fitted and powered them? I’d be very grateful!🙂

May 29, 2014
southampton
Funster No
MH
A frame
Exp
since 1985
Has anyone fitted LED lights underneath their mh? If so, would you be willing to share a link and advice of how you fitted and powered them? I’d be very grateful!🙂
That will not deter vermin.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I have suffered from mice in the past and now use peppermint spray and sonic repellers, which also have flashing lights.
I also set spring traps and hope not to catch anything.

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
That will not deter vermin.
Not according to a thread on here posted (I think) by our illustrious leader.... or maybe he was just quoting someone else..
Don't know for certain but one deterrent was lights under van cause they don't like light..

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
We have had mice and rats in the engine bay in the past, we used essence of peppermint in small foil dishes and mothballs.
Had a mouse once in the van, terrier sat and watch it until I told her to ‘get it’! Found an opening under dash, sealed it up.
Possibly had a Squirrel so now use a Hot Chilli Sauce, they don’t like it!

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
We have had mice and rats in the engine bay in the past, we used essence of peppermint in small foil dishes and mothballs.
Had a mouse once in the van, terrier sat and watch it until I told her to ‘get it’! Found an opening under dash, sealed it up.
Possibly had a Squirrel so now use a Hot Chilli Sauce, they don’t like it!
Mice, rats and squirrels... Feck me, that's a job for Mrs Poopycamper..
I do slugs/snail and spiders..
Yep I a wimp...

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
Mice, rats and squirrels... Feck me, that's a job for Mrs Poopycamper..
I do slugs/snail and spiders..
Yep I a wimp...
They are not all at the same time, thank goodness!
The Mice and Rats were seen off by our first Terrier, this one doesn’t have the killer instinct (not yet, at least) she is fast enough to catch up with a Squirrel or Rabbit but then just races with them!!!

Oct 18, 2022
South West
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 1992
Had my first mouse experience recently. Just about to set off to Crystal Palace and engine warning light comes on and into limp mode☹️ Took it into my local garage who discovered a rubber seal on a pipe (something to do with the turbo) had been munched away. Quickly fixed for £84 but once back, and on closer inspection, I noticed a few more tell-tale signs the engine bay had had a visitor. Luckily nothing serious and no indication that the little bugger(s) had got inside the van. I’ve liberally sprayed the engine compartment with a peppermint oil solution and checked for nests including inside the air filter housing. I’ll see how deterrence goes before more drastic solutions.
I saw this (below) at my local agricultural store. They reckon it’s good but has anybody tried it?

IMG_1877.png

Jan 28, 2016
Stockport, Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bravaria i740 AClass
I have caught a fourth mouse this weekend. We are moving to new storage depot now due to the mice.
I have sealed all holes i can see in habitatation side but i think they are now accessing from engine bay where it meets the hab. Let us know if spray is affective.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back