How to Keep Mice out of Your Motorhome (2 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
I found a new tip . I put in a spraying bottle half of pure ammonia and half white vinegar, and I spray the mixture all around and underneath the van (I don't spray the tyres) . Instant running away! It smells like their worst predator's urine which are supposed to be birds of (s)pray (lol). I've done this in my caravan... never saw the one rat I had in, last winter. If it works for rats I bet it does for the mice! Do be careful though when spraying it, don't smell it on purpose ... it's really strong, and makes you dizzy!

Sep 2, 2016
France
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Since 2015
My biggest nightmare (apart from the even bigger version ugh).

So far a combination of telling MrS we don't want them, praying silently each time we get the MH out of storage, and cleaning with plenty of bacterial spray before putting it away, have been our 3 main strategies.
Seem to have worked so far, fingers crossed. The day they don't is the day you will see it in the Classified section...

Any more practical suggestions would be greatly welcomed. We are both too wimpy to deal with the contents of a trap though..
Mrs S

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
Itā€™s gone!!šŸ˜¢
Exp
4 yearsā€¦.
Iā€™m SortedšŸ‘šŸ‘
2C8347D3-D8DD-4DC0-A897-E2450493EDE8.jpeg

Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
My biggest nightmare (apart from the even bigger version ugh).

So far a combination of telling MrS we don't want them, praying silently each time we get the MH out of storage, and cleaning with plenty of bacterial spray before putting it away, have been our 3 main strategies.
Seem to have worked so far, fingers crossed. The day they don't is the day you will see it in the Classified section...

Any more practical suggestions would be greatly welcomed. We are both too wimpy to deal with the contents of a trap though..
Mrs S
When the devils rats invaded my moho a few years ago I phoned a vet. Might sound silly but indeed he gave me details about the way they live.
He said first thing, remove ALL kind of food from the moho. Tins just the same nothing at all. Coffee is also food! And take away kitchen rolls toilet paper and Kleenex. Just think that a male can smell a female 4 kms away... Makes you think ! If you add my previous tip and also do the inside you put a few drops of essential oils such as green mint, sage, eucalyptus, and lemon sage, non only it will smell nicely, it will be anti bacterial but it will also disgust the little devils. So....do your homework now šŸ˜šŸ˜
šŸ˜

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2016
France
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Since 2015
When the devils rats invaded my moho a few years ago I phoned a vet. Might sound silly but indeed he gave me details about the way they live.
He said first thing, remove ALL kind of food from the moho. Tins just the same nothing at all. Coffee is also food! And take away kitchen rolls toilet paper and Kleenex. Just think that a male can smell a female 4 kms away... Makes you think ! If you add my previous tip and also do the inside you put a few drops of essential oils such as green mint, sage, eucalyptus, and lemon sage, non only it will smell nicely, it will be anti bacterial but it will also disgust the little devils. So....do your homework now šŸ˜šŸ˜
šŸ˜
Thank you šŸ˜Š. Will give it all a go. We do take most food out but havenā€™t bothered with tins before šŸ‘

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2016
France
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Since 2015
Jim Iā€™m sure your article is really interesting and I braved going past the first photo because I knew I needed to read it. But honestly I had to give up - too many rodent pics šŸ˜±
I know Iā€™m wimp but I might not be the only one out there, any chance you could do a non photo version? Pretty please?
MrsS

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Jim Iā€™m sure your article is really interesting and I braved going past the first photo because I knew I needed to read it. But honestly I had to give up - too many rodent pics šŸ˜±
I know Iā€™m wimp but I might not be the only one out there, any chance you could do a non photo version? Pretty please?
MrsS

There you go :D

How to Keep Mice out of Your Motorhome​

We can get a rodent infestation at any time of year, but itā€™s at the time of the first frosts that we need to be especially on our guard from rats or mice looking for somewhere warm and dry to spend a cold winter.

Mouse infestations are much more common than rats, and weā€™ll concentrate on these. If you focus on keeping the mice out, youā€™ll be keeping rats out too. They might be field mice who will use it as a base for their local foraging, or house mice, who have outgrown a nearby home.

With little or no use through the winter, the motorhome becomes potential winter quarters and infestations are common. There are a few things we can do to keep them at bay.

Why do we want to keep them out?
Many people have a genuine fear of rodents and could not bear the thought of sharing a van with them. Thatā€™s reason enough, but there are much more important motives for keeping them out.

If they nest in your upholstery or maybe a cosy cupboard, the acrid smell of pints of baby mouse urine is very offensive. When it soaks into wood or chipboard, you will never wash away. It will stink for months and will probably need to be replaced.

Rats and mice are Rodents. This name comes from Latin Rodere, ā€œto gnaw, scrape, scratchā€ and they love doing just that. They love nibbling on plastic. Corner joints of water pipes are a favourite. And of course, the pipe they gnaw through is always in the most inaccessible place, making repairs impossible without dismantling large parts of the interior of your motorhome.

While some mice are enjoying your water pipes, their siblings will eat into a wiring loom somewhere, deep inside the engine bay or some other inaccessible place, exposing wires, making dangerous short circuits or just having a giggle as they fix it so whenever you use an indicator, the horn sounds.

How long will they stay.
Mice donā€™t live long. A nine-month-old mouse is drawing a pension and could die anytime. With a belly full of wood and plastic, he might not last that long. He could die out in the open, but more likely to pop his clogs in some quiet, hard to reach cavity in your van. Other mice might do you a favour and eat the dead mouse, but dead mice might also attract rats. And you really donā€™t want rats in your van.

Decaying mouse, along with wood soaked in mouse urine is not a nice combination, it stinks and while you might get used to it, youā€™ll probably find that no matter how cold or windy it is, any guests you have round your van for drinks will insist that you all sit outside!

In a heavily infested area, it is difficult to keep your van rodent free. Lots of people discover this to their cost when using cheap motorhome storage on farms or at friendsā€™ small-holdings.
We once bought a new van that was too big for our town house drive, so we stored it at a friendā€™s horticultural farm; it was quite a way from home, and because it was stored with a friend, and so far away, our checks on it were infrequent. March the 1st was the first time weā€™d seen it that year and as soon as I opened the door. I knew we had big trouble.

We suffered all the problems I mention above. It took a week to be happy we had the situation under control, and they had all gone. We disinfected the van from top to bottom. We then spent a small fortune replacing all the soft furnishings and getting some reupholstery done. But no one felt comfortable in the van again and by the end of July, we sold it.

How to check if you have mice.
Rodents are nocturnal so wonā€™t show up in the day. The musty smell might not be evident in the early stages, and the first thing you might notice are droppings. Mouse poo is small and pellet like with smooth pointed ends and might look like dark grains of uncooked rice about Ā¼inch long. Look for it on worktops in cupboards and in drawers. Clean it up immediately and check again tomorrow. More poo means you have a mouse, a lot of poo means you might have a lot. But when I say a lot, I mean a lot, because a single mouse might leave you over 50 poos in a night.

When you cannot check your van for weeks on end, use a biscuit, not traps, as an indicator of infestation.

When you leave your van in storage or at home itā€™s a good idea to place a tiny piece of biscuit on the floor, whenever you visit, check for that biscuit, if itā€™s still there, youā€™ve had no visitors. Donā€™t leave baited traps as an indicator. If you catch a few mice in your traps and they are there for weeks, then as they decay, the smell will attract other mice, or worse, attract rats.

So how do you keep the mice out

Remove all food sources

A bag of emergency pasta stored in an under seat locker might be the foundation of a large mouse colony. Cereals or crackers, sugar, or flour will see that they stay quite a while. The only food you can safely leave in the van is tinned. With no food, they still might use your van as a warm base, but the chances of nesting within, reduce dramatically if there is no food source. Unless, of course, there is plenty of food outside your van. Which was the case with our mice. They will forage outside but come home to your warm and cosy van for sleeping and reproduction.

Moth Balls
Some swear that strategically placed moth balls will keep mice out, others report their mice ate the moth balls.

Peppermint
Some people say the peppermint-soaked cotton wool balls are brilliant at keeping mice away. While others say the peppermint cotton wool was used to line nests!

Sonic Deterrents
If you believe everything in the sales blurb about these things, they are fantastic. The reality is different. Some swear they work, others just swear at them, claiming they are a waste of money and batteries. Thatā€™s what I think too.

Light
Mice donā€™t like bright light. They feel safer in the dark, so a good idea is to use a string or two of LED lights under your van, have them on a timer to come on when it is dark. The underneath of your van bathed in Bright light is a good deterrent.

You can use solar charged LEDs, but for winter use they will probably only come on for a few hours. Ideally, you would want them on all night. You could fix some LED lights under the van permanently with a switch inside the van. These will keep mice away and as a bonus make your van look funky on a rally!

Physical Barriers
Mice need the tiniest of gaps to get into your van. If you are leaving your motorhome in a storage area where you think there might be a mouse or rat problem, then you need to spend some time under your van and under the bonnet plugging these entry points.

Experts say that if a pencil can roll under a door, then a mouse can get under too. You should plug holes and gaps wider than 10p. Mice donā€™t enjoy chomping on metal; which is why wire wool and the shiny wire washer/scourers forced into the gaps will keep them out.

We have mice in the Motorhome. How do we ged rid of them?

Don't use Poison
When most people have an infestation of mice, poison is often the first thing they think about, but it should be the last.
Most poisons are anticoagulants: They reduce the ability of the mouseā€™s blood to clot. The mice die slowly from internal bleeding and will probably go somewhere quiet to die, maybe deep inside some little cavity in your motorhome! The resulting decomposition can smell for many weeks, so using poisons is not a good idea.

Traps
No matter how much you hate these mice, any traps you use should be humane. That means they catch the mice alive or in a trap that kills them instantly. Never use glue-traps that cause unnecessary suffering.

If you donā€™t want to kill the mice, you should know a live trap might not be as kind as it appears to be. To avoid suffering, you need to check them regularly, and then you must consider how you will get rid of your catch. Releasing them too close to home and chances are they will find their way back. Then too far, and the odds of a relocated mouse surviving in a new area are quite low, so are you making them suffer? If you really cannot kill the mice, then you could take your live catch to a vet. But even then, this might not be as kind as a quick kill from a sprung trap.

A spring trap can be distasteful, but it is the best and most humane way. Buy at least 6 traps, bait them with chocolate spread or peanut butter and check them every day. Remember to keep pets away from traps!

Cheap plastic traps work well, as do the wooden little-nipper types. Once baited and set, place them at right angles against furniture or walls with the baited end closest to the wall.

In the absence of other food, you will catch mice in these traps. Rather than extricate the crushed mouse, some prefer to just throw the whole trap in the bin. You can do this if you wish, but you will need to buy some replacements as you need to keep the traps set for quite a few nights without a catch to be reasonably sure you are rid of them.

We must check traps daily. Never set traps unless you are going to check them daily

Electric Shock Traps

These have some appeal, but they donā€™t always work. You need to remove the mice, and that can be a little fiddly. I cannot recommend one.

In Short. How to keep mice out of your motorhome.
  • Remove all food inside and outside if you can
  • Block all holes
  • Get some light under the van
  • Mess with Mothballs and Peppermint if it makes you feel better
  • Chocolate biscuit test
  • Use Traps, check daily
  • poison only as a last resort
3mice.jpg

Sep 2, 2016
France
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Since 2015

There you go :D

How to Keep Mice out of Your Motorhome​

We can get a rodent infestation at any time of year, but itā€™s at the time of the first frosts that we need to be especially on our guard from rats or mice looking for somewhere warm and dry to spend a cold winter.

Mouse infestations are much more common than rats, and weā€™ll concentrate on these. If you focus on keeping the mice out, youā€™ll be keeping rats out too. They might be field mice who will use it as a base for their local foraging, or house mice, who have outgrown a nearby home.

With little or no use through the winter, the motorhome becomes potential winter quarters and infestations are common. There are a few things we can do to keep them at bay.

Why do we want to keep them out?
Many people have a genuine fear of rodents and could not bear the thought of sharing a van with them. Thatā€™s reason enough, but there are much more important motives for keeping them out.

If they nest in your upholstery or maybe a cosy cupboard, the acrid smell of pints of baby mouse urine is very offensive. When it soaks into wood or chipboard, you will never wash away. It will stink for months and will probably need to be replaced.

Rats and mice are Rodents. This name comes from Latin Rodere, ā€œto gnaw, scrape, scratchā€ and they love doing just that. They love nibbling on plastic. Corner joints of water pipes are a favourite. And of course, the pipe they gnaw through is always in the most inaccessible place, making repairs impossible without dismantling large parts of the interior of your motorhome.

While some mice are enjoying your water pipes, their siblings will eat into a wiring loom somewhere, deep inside the engine bay or some other inaccessible place, exposing wires, making dangerous short circuits or just having a giggle as they fix it so whenever you use an indicator, the horn sounds.

How long will they stay.
Mice donā€™t live long. A nine-month-old mouse is drawing a pension and could die anytime. With a belly full of wood and plastic, he might not last that long. He could die out in the open, but more likely to pop his clogs in some quiet, hard to reach cavity in your van. Other mice might do you a favour and eat the dead mouse, but dead mice might also attract rats. And you really donā€™t want rats in your van.

Decaying mouse, along with wood soaked in mouse urine is not a nice combination, it stinks and while you might get used to it, youā€™ll probably find that no matter how cold or windy it is, any guests you have round your van for drinks will insist that you all sit outside!

In a heavily infested area, it is difficult to keep your van rodent free. Lots of people discover this to their cost when using cheap motorhome storage on farms or at friendsā€™ small-holdings.
We once bought a new van that was too big for our town house drive, so we stored it at a friendā€™s horticultural farm; it was quite a way from home, and because it was stored with a friend, and so far away, our checks on it were infrequent. March the 1st was the first time weā€™d seen it that year and as soon as I opened the door. I knew we had big trouble.

We suffered all the problems I mention above. It took a week to be happy we had the situation under control, and they had all gone. We disinfected the van from top to bottom. We then spent a small fortune replacing all the soft furnishings and getting some reupholstery done. But no one felt comfortable in the van again and by the end of July, we sold it.

How to check if you have mice.
Rodents are nocturnal so wonā€™t show up in the day. The musty smell might not be evident in the early stages, and the first thing you might notice are droppings. Mouse poo is small and pellet like with smooth pointed ends and might look like dark grains of uncooked rice about Ā¼inch long. Look for it on worktops in cupboards and in drawers. Clean it up immediately and check again tomorrow. More poo means you have a mouse, a lot of poo means you might have a lot. But when I say a lot, I mean a lot, because a single mouse might leave you over 50 poos in a night.

When you cannot check your van for weeks on end, use a biscuit, not traps, as an indicator of infestation.

When you leave your van in storage or at home itā€™s a good idea to place a tiny piece of biscuit on the floor, whenever you visit, check for that biscuit, if itā€™s still there, youā€™ve had no visitors. Donā€™t leave baited traps as an indicator. If you catch a few mice in your traps and they are there for weeks, then as they decay, the smell will attract other mice, or worse, attract rats.

So how do you keep the mice out

Remove all food sources

A bag of emergency pasta stored in an under seat locker might be the foundation of a large mouse colony. Cereals or crackers, sugar, or flour will see that they stay quite a while. The only food you can safely leave in the van is tinned. With no food, they still might use your van as a warm base, but the chances of nesting within, reduce dramatically if there is no food source. Unless, of course, there is plenty of food outside your van. Which was the case with our mice. They will forage outside but come home to your warm and cosy van for sleeping and reproduction.

Moth Balls
Some swear that strategically placed moth balls will keep mice out, others report their mice ate the moth balls.

Peppermint
Some people say the peppermint-soaked cotton wool balls are brilliant at keeping mice away. While others say the peppermint cotton wool was used to line nests!

Sonic Deterrents
If you believe everything in the sales blurb about these things, they are fantastic. The reality is different. Some swear they work, others just swear at them, claiming they are a waste of money and batteries. Thatā€™s what I think too.

Light
Mice donā€™t like bright light. They feel safer in the dark, so a good idea is to use a string or two of LED lights under your van, have them on a timer to come on when it is dark. The underneath of your van bathed in Bright light is a good deterrent.

You can use solar charged LEDs, but for winter use they will probably only come on for a few hours. Ideally, you would want them on all night. You could fix some LED lights under the van permanently with a switch inside the van. These will keep mice away and as a bonus make your van look funky on a rally!

Physical Barriers
Mice need the tiniest of gaps to get into your van. If you are leaving your motorhome in a storage area where you think there might be a mouse or rat problem, then you need to spend some time under your van and under the bonnet plugging these entry points.

Experts say that if a pencil can roll under a door, then a mouse can get under too. You should plug holes and gaps wider than 10p. Mice donā€™t enjoy chomping on metal; which is why wire wool and the shiny wire washer/scourers forced into the gaps will keep them out.

We have mice in the Motorhome. How do we ged rid of them?

Don't use Poison
When most people have an infestation of mice, poison is often the first thing they think about, but it should be the last.
Most poisons are anticoagulants: They reduce the ability of the mouseā€™s blood to clot. The mice die slowly from internal bleeding and will probably go somewhere quiet to die, maybe deep inside some little cavity in your motorhome! The resulting decomposition can smell for many weeks, so using poisons is not a good idea.

Traps
No matter how much you hate these mice, any traps you use should be humane. That means they catch the mice alive or in a trap that kills them instantly. Never use glue-traps that cause unnecessary suffering.

If you donā€™t want to kill the mice, you should know a live trap might not be as kind as it appears to be. To avoid suffering, you need to check them regularly, and then you must consider how you will get rid of your catch. Releasing them too close to home and chances are they will find their way back. Then too far, and the odds of a relocated mouse surviving in a new area are quite low, so are you making them suffer? If you really cannot kill the mice, then you could take your live catch to a vet. But even then, this might not be as kind as a quick kill from a sprung trap.

A spring trap can be distasteful, but it is the best and most humane way. Buy at least 6 traps, bait them with chocolate spread or peanut butter and check them every day. Remember to keep pets away from traps!

Cheap plastic traps work well, as do the wooden little-nipper types. Once baited and set, place them at right angles against furniture or walls with the baited end closest to the wall.

In the absence of other food, you will catch mice in these traps. Rather than extricate the crushed mouse, some prefer to just throw the whole trap in the bin. You can do this if you wish, but you will need to buy some replacements as you need to keep the traps set for quite a few nights without a catch to be reasonably sure you are rid of them.

We must check traps daily. Never set traps unless you are going to check them daily

Electric Shock Traps

These have some appeal, but they donā€™t always work. You need to remove the mice, and that can be a little fiddly. I cannot recommend one.

In Short. How to keep mice out of your motorhome.
  • Remove all food inside and outside if you can
  • Block all holes
  • Get some light under the van
  • Mess with Mothballs and Peppermint if it makes you feel better
  • Chocolate biscuit test
  • Use Traps, check daily
  • poison only as a last resort
View attachment 691056
Great thanks ā€¦ apart from the photo at the end!! šŸ˜±šŸ˜©šŸ˜­

Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
Other problems relating to mouse infestation of engine bay include air filter destruction and debris affecting MAF sensor, even read of a dead mouse being found far up the inlet track. Also read that some wire insulation is now made of Soya products (yum yum). How true?

Jan 17, 2021
Essex, UK
Funster No
MH
Phoenix 8800
Exp
Since 2004
Really enjoy reading your articles Jim. Thank you. I've often wondered why all the cables on our Phoenix run through large diameter hard plastic conduits, much like drainpipes. It does make it easier to run new or replacement cables through the van, but I now realise it helps to protect the wiring from rodents. It seems such a good idea I wonder why all manufacturers don't do it?

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
I hope Jim goes on to give advice about keeping ants out, we had an infestation in France once........................Horrible !

Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
Don't underestimate how much damage (and how fast) they can do it.
I've attended many Data Centre outages that've been caused by mice/rats and squirrels chomping their way through cable / fibre insulation. They'll go through insulation like a drunk goes through a kebab !
Our first motorhome was the target of mice. Went to get the MH ready for a weekend away, and found the controller totally dead. Found insulation completely stripped off the main cable loom (25 - 30 way), and a large nest next to it. A days work to make good, and a lesson learned :rolleyes:

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
The taste of plastic pipes and wiring insulation needs to change. Manufacturers, please take note and get researching NOW.

Obviously the material they use is much too tasty.

Sep 21, 2016
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
Frankia i740
Exp
since 2007
We had mice once in our van they made such a mess, but we were very lucky as it seems to have been a flying visit, they chewed up a few throws and some kitchen roll. I cleaned up the mess then left a peanut in the area where there were droppings, but they didn't return. I assume they got in when I left the door open during the hot weather.

Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
This is what I've also done to prevent another rats' infestation.
I bought a rubber mat, the type you put in your boot or under your feet in your car . I put aside a few glass bottles. When I had enough of the latter , I broke them into bits , then put liquid glue on the rubber mat, and glued the crushed glass on, then I put the whole thing on the tarmac in between the 2 front wheels. They don't like it either!

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
A lot of the wiring and 'plastic' bits in my car makes a big statement about being edible and biodegradable.
Had mice in a motorhome once, chewed through wires and nested in a difficult place.
I always leave a number of traps, baited with Nutella (horrible stuff but mice love it). I only check about weekly, and always feel very guilty if I catch one, furry little things and always look accusingly at me.

Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
The taste of plastic pipes and wiring insulation needs to change. Manufacturers, please take note and get researching NOW.

Obviously the material they use is much too tasty.
They've eaten the greasy hose of the power steering. my poor Max had to go on a trailer to be fixed!

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Although I live in the country with fields around me, the few houses around me all have so many cats that nothing lives for milesā€¦ the drawback is they love shitting on my artificial grassā€¦šŸ˜«šŸ˜Ž

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
I have never been troubled by mice, just dozens of bloody neighbourhood cats that use the soft ground underneath my van as their sh**house. (Have thought about concreting over but mains utilities are underground.)

You have my full permission to come and help yourself to as many as you like! šŸ˜”

Sep 2, 2016
France
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Since 2015
I have never been troubled by mice, just dozens of bloody neighbourhood cats that use the soft ground underneath my van as their sh**house. (Have thought about concreting over but mains utilities are underground.)

You have my full permission to come and help yourself to as many as you like! šŸ˜”
Ah, I have the solution to that! Place dishes of coffee grounds around the MH, looks a bit weird but it honestly works :)

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
Ah, I have the solution to that! Place dishes of coffee grounds around the MH, looks a bit weird but it honestly works :)

I tried chilli powder in the past but every time it rained, it got washed away. I'll give Coffee a go and see if it works. :unsure:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back