Exp
4 years….
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
In this new Bailey i think we have done about 40 nights, not sure as connot remember where we have been exactly.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Pilote G781C Emotion
Exp
Caravanning over 30 years, Motorhoming 16 months
Have you been away in your van??

Have managed around 75 nights away with the van in the last year plus around 10 days out over the local beach so bit more than last year.
We are a bit restricted to long trips by elderly parents so need to be back to sort them out fairley regular.

Unfortunately this year not been able to have any of my 2 nights a month away fishing trips to the New Forest as been busy, hopefully next year will do more.
Good for you with your elderly parents. One day they will no longer be around and you will miss them for the rest of your life.

OP
OP
Coastal Cruiser.
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
It’s gone!!😢
Exp
4 years….
Good for you with your elderly parents. One day they will no longer be around and you will miss them for the rest of your life.
Yes for sure, only my mum and Mrs CCs dad left now, my mum has terminal cancer Mrs CCs dad had a couple of heart attacks so they need a fair bit of care now😁😁

Worked most days for 30+ years with my dad since I left school and still miss him 4 years after he died 😪😪

OutTheOffice

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker
Exp
Since 2016
Sorry totally off topic here but some interesting comments re elderly parents. My wife and I looked after all four of our parents through their final months , weeks and hours with us. Then we bought a motorhome to enjoy our retirement. At that point an elderly aunt and uncle with no kids of their own expected us to look after them in the same way and kicked off when we spent any longer than 2 weeks at a time away complaining we were not there to care for them.

They were / are wealthy and can easily afford care in the home, so we kicked back and said it was now our time and whilst we are sorry we can only do the best we can. This led to a massive row and them getting very nasty towards us, we cut off all contact. I wonder what others would have done, have we been unreasonable, but after working all our lives, bringing up 3 kids, supporting 4 parents are we entitled to our time in the sun or should we have been more compassionate to my mothers brother and his wife???? When we bought our van, I never expected it to lead to a family fall out.

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
I don’t count but looking at the calendar for this year it’s 140 nights , Europe and UK , we will hopefully fit in a few more nights away before the end of the year.

BillandHelen

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
IH 630
Exp
since 2004
77 nights away to date, we are up at Balloch on Loch Lomond this weekend, still got another 3 week work/holiday trip in November, so might just sneak over 100 nights this year. Not too bad given I’m still full time working.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Burstner IXEO Time
Exp
Complete newbie
About 57 for us. !7 in Kintyre and up around Oban. The rest in France visiting offspring and touring the south. Not enough. Need to do better..

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2001
We always count our mileage - nights away - and fees - fuel costs - that's Diesel and Gas - and the wife keeps a ledger so we know what we paid for food and drinks and entertainment

our first big trip in 2022 was for 74 nights and we spent a grand total of £3.5K including Tunnel out and Ferry back
our 21 nights trip in the UK cost us £2.5K in Cornwall (OUCH!!)
Like your style , it's interesting to see the difference between the trip through the tunnel and the one in Cornwall , I always found my trips abroad , especially in the winter months were always better value for money , keeping an eye on expenditure is even more relevant in this day and age we are living through. Regards

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
3 years 30,000 miles UK and Europe.. Campsites and off Grid.
Roughly (can't be bothered to count) 120 ISH. Just about used up my 90 in Europe - currently in Italy heading home fast!

What's more concerning is I will have done 18000 miles when I get home - in my 18 month old van!! A little above the average for a motorhome I think.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Overhead cab
Exp
8 years
90 days touring Somerset, Dorset, Devon, Cornwall, Cambridgeshire, Bedfordshire. About £5000 because we prefer campsites.
The year before Covid we did 90 days starting in Amsterdam. Then Germany, Slovenia, Croatia, ferry to Italy and back home cost about £6000.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
15 years
Must be a different New Forest to the one we visited with ponies etc but no fish!

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend A
Exp
July 09
77 nights away to date, we are up at Balloch on Loch Lomond this weekend, still got another 3 week work/holiday trip in November, so might just sneak over 100 nights this year. Not too bad given I’m still full time working.
Nice one, I m still in full time employment and managed 72 abroad which would have gone up to 84 this calendar year if number 1 daughter didnt require wife for babysitting as gone full time working from home.

If the job admit they have done me out of 2.6 days leave for the past 9 years that will add a further 20 days away each year for the next 3 years

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend A
Exp
July 09
Sorry totally off topic here but some interesting comments re elderly parents. My wife and I looked after all four of our parents through their final months , weeks and hours with us. Then we bought a motorhome to enjoy our retirement. At that point an elderly aunt and uncle with no kids of their own expected us to look after them in the same way and kicked off when we spent any longer than 2 weeks at a time away complaining we were not there to care for them.

They were / are wealthy and can easily afford care in the home, so we kicked back and said it was now our time and whilst we are sorry we can only do the best we can. This led to a massive row and them getting very nasty towards us, we cut off all contact. I wonder what others would have done, have we been unreasonable, but after working all our lives, bringing up 3 kids, supporting 4 parents are we entitled to our time in the sun or should we have been more compassionate to my mothers brother and his wife???? When we bought our van, I never expected it to lead to a family fall out.
Very reasonable response (imv)

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp

Totally understandable.
You have to draw a line somewhere.
We don't have kids, and I have no intention of lining up my nieces and nephews to look after me in old age.

We were heavily involved in looking after my wifes mother, then father, then brother, and my sister then mother.
All of whom died over a short period of time.
(We organised all five funerals, three of which were at the height of lockdown)

Luckily it all caused fairly minimal rifts in the family, and parents could afford the care needed (my mother was burning through £100k a year!)

To be honest the motorhome was a saviour, without it, I doubt we would have coped.

Night count for 2022:
About 100 so far, but we still have 2 months to go, we will be in it over Xmas and New Year.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Coastal Cruiser.
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
It’s gone!!😢
Exp
4 years….
Must be a different New Forest to the one we visited with ponies etc but no fish!
There are plenty of ponies just outside the fisheries and a pub.
Son normally comes over one day and we go for a bike ride through the forest😁😁

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
If the job admit they have done me out of 2.6 days leave for the past 9 years that will add a further 20 days away each year for the next 3 years
2.6 days X 9 years is 23.4 days.
Divided by 3 years, that is an extra 7.8 days a year (not 20!)

I'd get whatever they have promised in writing!

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend A
Exp
July 09
2.6 days X 9 years is 23.4 days.
Divided by 3 years, that is an extra 7.8 days a year (not 20!)

I'd get whatever they have promised in writing!
Your maths is correct.
If I take 4 days off I get 12 days away from work (2 days 2 nights 4 days off shift pattern)
I normally take 8 days of work off so it gives me 20 days and if I take 12 days I get 28 days away from work.
I ll be taking an extra 8 days per year for 3 years

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Broadway
Exp
Since 2019
UK 55 France 18 other holidays 36 so far since January, still not enough though

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!