Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
There is a faster short cut to get down but I prefer the long route….😆🤣😎
You need a fireman's pole ... or maybe a slide, something like this positioned correctly would plonk you right back in your chair! :LOL:

iu

Wheeeeeeeeee .....................................

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Some people on here have met me and know how I get around, some ask how do I do things and this shows you how compromise and a little determination gets you there in the end, today I put two 200w panels on the roof, and I don’t mind telling you I am knackerd up and down several times and once up there forget something and had to come down again, it’s a palaver but I got there in the end and got done what I needed. Tomorrow I’ll wire it up…😎

View attachment 740250

Fantastic achievement!

I vote that we get that video playing on a continuous loop in all Benefits Offices in UK.!!!

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Very impressed with your determination (y)

But climbing up the scaffold is not half as impressive to my mind as the question of how the feck did you put the scaffold up in the first place :D

Your video is a great reminder to the rest of us to stop whining and crack on. Thanks for sharing (y).

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Awsome Garry but how you got 200 watt panels in position is amazing. Even with a 100 watt panel I get someone to help me position it. I suspect your arms and shoulder mussels are much stronger than most of us old farts on here.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Don’t tell them…. They’ll takeaway me disability allowance…😆

No, they should take away the benefits of those who say they will not take a manual job 'because they have a degree in media studies'

BTW did Blair ('education, education and education') ever have a manual job?

OP
OP
Just smiffy
May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
No, they should take away the benefits of those who say they will not take a manual job 'because they have a degree in media studies'

BTW did Blair ('education, education and education') ever have a manual job?

I’ve done more then my 35yrs work for my full pension that I’ll get in 3 years time and once even had an argument with an advisor in a job centre as he kept telling me you don’t want a job as you’ll get more on disability benefits… :doh:

Believe it or not I have to be assessed every 5 years for my DLA to make sure I’m still disable…🤣 and I know people that are running around that have got it for life with no assessments… 🤷🏼‍♂️

OP
OP
Just smiffy
May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Just noticed your Victron controller should be mounted vertically so air can pass through the heat sinks.
Hmm… I’ll keep an eye on it, the most work it’ll do is replenish the batteries from charging my bike batteries and the remoska occasionally…. I think most of the time with my consumption it’ll be on float…😎

That’s why I posted a picture for advice like this…👍🏼

May 2, 2014
Washington
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 584DL
Exp
17 years + 35 tugging
I’ve done more then my 35yrs work for my full pension that I’ll get in 3 years time and once even had an argument with an advisor in a job centre as he kept telling me you don’t want a job as you’ll get more on disability benefits… :doh:

Believe it or not I have to be assessed every 5 years for my DLA to make sure I’m still disable…🤣 and I know people that are running around that have got it for life with no assessments… 🤷🏼‍♂️
I know, My brother was born paraplegic with spina bifida and was often being asked by benefits agency whether he still had it.

TheBig1

Deceased RIP
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid

I recall years ago the government of the day brought out a so called benefit integrity program. This was supposedly a random check on all the people getting DLA on an indefinite award. They sent a doctor to our house and before he left he told us that it was an absolute waste of his and our time other than the fact that it had highlighted that I should have been awarded more, and I was not the first he had interviewed that it had happened to. I got a fair few grand in back payments. He said he read my medical notes before the appointment to familiarise himself with my specific issues. The decision maker on the initial award had ignored several parts that took my score well into the top category and it was suspected that this was on orders from up the chain of command. I was considered too young to pension off basically. But three fractures in my spine were never going to resolve and spontaneously repair the spinal chord damage.

Even then I got bored and tried going back to work, which the doctors told me was stupid. And they were right of course. But that decision years ago is still giving me issues now. Then each new government try and change things up, migrating the old disability payments to a new improved version. Each time it screws things up for the genuinely disabled. The reason for this boils down to the miners strikes years ago and the closure of the mines. The government of the day put thousands of ex miners onto disability benefits to hide the terrible unemployment figures. Since then they have tried their hardest to weed the non genuine ones out, but very badly

Yes, you got advised that you will be better off on disability benefits than returning to work. Very few companies were flexible enough to allow for an employee that might need months off each year or two for operations and recovery. So many of us struggled along as self employed and yo-yoed on and off benefits. Then you retire and won't qualify for the full state pension. So the whole idea of people "living it up on disability benefits" is pretty much a conspiracy theory. So then people like Gary get reassessed every 5 years, just in case his legs miraculously grow back. It would be laughable to most people, but those are the facts of being disabled.

Life can be a real bitch sometimes, but the way the media would like people to see disabled people is as greedy parasites that won't work. When in truth, you would do anything to have your health back and be truly productive

OP
OP
Just smiffy
May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
I recall years ago the government of the day brought out a so called benefit integrity program. This was supposedly a random check on all the people getting DLA on an indefinite award. They sent a doctor to our house and before he left he told us that it was an absolute waste of his and our time other than the fact that it had highlighted that I should have been awarded more, and I was not the first he had interviewed that it had happened to. I got a fair few grand in back payments. He said he read my medical notes before the appointment to familiarise himself with my specific issues. The decision maker on the initial award had ignored several parts that took my score well into the top category and it was suspected that this was on orders from up the chain of command. I was considered too young to pension off basically. But three fractures in my spine were never going to resolve and spontaneously repair the spinal chord damage.

Even then I got bored and tried going back to work, which the doctors told me was stupid. And they were right of course. But that decision years ago is still giving me issues now. Then each new government try and change things up, migrating the old disability payments to a new improved version. Each time it screws things up for the genuinely disabled. The reason for this boils down to the miners strikes years ago and the closure of the mines. The government of the day put thousands of ex miners onto disability benefits to hide the terrible unemployment figures. Since then they have tried their hardest to weed the non genuine ones out, but very badly

Yes, you got advised that you will be better off on disability benefits than returning to work. Very few companies were flexible enough to allow for an employee that might need months off each year or two for operations and recovery. So many of us struggled along as self employed and yo-yoed on and off benefits. Then you retire and won't qualify for the full state pension. So the whole idea of people "living it up on disability benefits" is pretty much a conspiracy theory. So then people like Gary get reassessed every 5 years, just in case his legs miraculously grow back. It would be laughable to most people, but those are the facts of being disabled.

Life can be a real bitch sometimes, but the way the media would like people to see disabled people is as greedy parasites that won't work. When in truth, you would do anything to have your health back and be truly productive

You’re so right…. And between me and you… what they won’t see is for the next week or so I’ll have to take it really easy as my arms, back neck, and hands are fooked and the pain is bad….🥴

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
Smiffy with 2 fs your amazing as a double amputee I thought my father was amazing as he had his right leg amputated well above the knee in 1958 at the age of 32 and the artificial legs them days were a heavy cumbersome things, but he never let it beat him.
He carried on working for the coal board, kept 6 allotments with 3 green houses and kept our family of 6 with fresh veg althrough the winter he did al his own decorating and diy and when I got married he did all our decorating he even did the same for his grandchildren when they had their own properties, he was an inspiration to us all and once again Garry I take my hat off to you as your an inspiration too.

John.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Wired it all up today….😎

View attachment 740720

View attachment 740725

View attachment 740722

I know it doesn’t look pretty Lenny but I’ve got a little tidying to do but it’s all working a treat…

View attachment 740723

Not wanting to be picky. But the fuses are there to protect the cables. You really should have one on all the red cables coming off the positive terminal as close to the battery as possible.
It looks like two of the cables are not fused. If one of these shorts it could cause a fire or a big bang. If they were fused it would blow and protect you.

I personally even fuse the interconnect between two batteries but I am possibly going too far on that. But my fear was if a cell in the one battery goes closed circuit it could cause a lot of current to flow from the still good battery heating up the cable a LOT.

Just my thoughts. I hope you don't mind.

PS: Also are the batteries clamped down somehow? If not think about where they would go if you had an accident and rolled over or flipped etc? If they can't get to the driver/passenger seat then not too much of an issue. But if in any accident they could break free and smack you in the back of the head????

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back