How Easy To Get Another 240v Socket Fitted? (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Oct 5, 2021
Thame UK
Funster No
MH
boxer compass 140
Exp
A newbie solo
I believe your allowed one spur off of a original socket or you can change it into a ring circuit by spurting from original socket then from added socket back to consumer unit electrition should do it with in a hour

Reactions: HKF
Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
You definitely need to know where the consumer unit is, with the RCD and MCBs. This should have been shown to you at handover. It is a fundamental safety item. I think you should drive in to a Benimar dealer and ask to be shown where the consumer unit is. Any motorhome dealer that is selling Benimars, not just an official dealer, should be able to help you. In theory you are supposed to test the RCD monthly by pressing the 'Test' button to make sure it is still working.
Maybe Chainwheel2 could shed some light on where the RCD and MCBs are located in a Benimar.

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
I believe your allowed one spur off of a original socket or you can change it into a ring circuit by spurting from original socket then from added socket back to consumer unit electrition should do it with in a hour
Nobody uses ring circuits in a motorhome, they are all radial. Just connect new sockets in the radial, daisy-chain fashion. Ring circuits are a quirk of UK domestic house wiring.

The incoming mains into the motorhome will be limited to 16A. The wiring will be 1.5mm², which is fine for 16A. I'd say you could put as many sockets as you want in the motorhome. It's up to you to make sure you don't draw more than 16A. If you do, the MCB will trip. I have over a dozen sockets at various points around the motorhome, so that I don't need trailing mains extensions anywhere.

OP
OP
HKF

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
Nobody uses ring circuits in a motorhome, they are all radial. Just connect new sockets in the radial, daisy-chain fashion. Ring circuits are a quirk of UK domestic house wiring.

The incoming mains into the motorhome will be limited to 16A. The wiring will be 1.5mm², which is fine for 16A. I'd say you could put as many sockets as you want in the motorhome. It's up to you to make sure you don't draw more than 16A. If you do, the MCB will trip. I have over a dozen sockets at various points around the motorhome, so that I don't need trailing mains extensions anywhere.

Thank you so much for this information. This will help me plan. Can you also tell me, disregarding the 'why', would it be possible to fit both UK and French sockets on the same daisy chain, please?

Apr 20, 2012
Bristol, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson Allegro 83
Exp
since Feb 2012
You can include both nationality sockets on a MH circuit, both are made to a very high standard and all essentially work in the same way.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 22, 2017
Bristol
Funster No
MH
DAF LF Conversion
Exp
Since 2013
Thank you so much for this information. This will help me plan. Can you also tell me, disregarding the 'why', would it be possible to fit both UK and French sockets on the same daisy chain, please?

You could fit both. However, you have sockets that don't suit all appliances. Fit uk and use adapters (that you probably already have.)

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
As Bucket says. You can fit them in a motorhome because they are on a 16A radial circuit.

You can't fit French sockets in a UK house which has a 32A ring main, you'd have to put them on a 16A radial, or a fused spur. Ring mains need fused plugs, and only UK plugs have fuses. But you could fit UK sockets in a French house if you wanted to.

• Thanks
OP
OP
HKF

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
You could fit both. However, you have sockets that don't suit all appliances. Fit uk and use adapters (that you probably already have.)

I don't want to fit all UK, as it's a French registered MH and the one socket it already has is French but it would be handy to have a couple of UK sockets along with additional French ones.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
I don't want to fit all UK, as it's a French registered MH and the one socket it already has is French but it would be handy to have a couple of UK sockets along with additional French ones.

I find it a bit disconcerting you don’t know where your “trips” are.

How would you get your power back if something tripped your mains 🤔

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
If you are fitting CBE sockets, the UK, French and German type sockets all fit in the same size frame and are interchangeable.

OP
OP
HKF

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
I find it a bit disconcerting you don’t know where your “trips” are.

How would you get your power back if something tripped your mains 🤔

I have no idea, which is why I'm trying to find out where they are :)

OP
OP
HKF

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
Did you buy from a dealer as it might be worth a phone call to them?

Or the previous owner?

We bought from the previous owner but I'd rather not contact them, in case they are still upset by selling it.

Jan 22, 2017
Bristol
Funster No
MH
DAF LF Conversion
Exp
Since 2013

OK, same applies in my opinion. Fit French and use adapters. You can, of course, do whatever you like thoughđź‘Ť

OP
OP
HKF

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
OK, same applies in my opinion. Fit French and use adapters. You can, of course, do whatever you like thoughđź‘Ť

I'm very wary of using adaptors, since one almost burst into flames in our house.

Jun 2, 2023
Lancashire, UK
Funster No
MH
Benimar 143
Exp
I'm a newbie (ISH) 2022( type 2 VW's and caravans 1980 s to 2022)s
Our circuit breakers are below the lift up seat on the left as we enter through the habitation door. This is where the boiler is.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
Plan carefully where you want the sockets and don't just add them without planning how you will use them and what for. Have you considered an external socket? We use ours for cooking outside, but it could just as easily be used for something else. I would also suggest considering if there are any other 'electricals' that could be installed at the same time as its not difficult to run two cables (12v and 240v) at the same time.

• Thanks
OP
OP
HKF

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
Plan carefully where you want the sockets and don't just add them without planning how you will use them and what for. Have you considered an external socket? We use ours for cooking outside, but it could just as easily be used for something else. I would also suggest considering if there are any other 'electricals' that could be installed at the same time as its not difficult to run two cables (12v and 240v) at the same time.

Thank you, this is great advice. I'm going to have a good think about this and not just only what we use now but also what we might use in the future. Thanks! :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back