How Easy To Get Another 240v Socket Fitted? (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
OP
OP
HKF

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
Check out the local press for a local electrician, should be a lot cheaper than £300!

Thanks but it's not quite as easy as that. I live in France and don't speak French. Only enough to converse very basically. However, we may be bringing the MH over to the UK soon, so that's something we can get done when we're over here :)

Aug 15, 2022
Bristol, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph
Exp
1 year and a bit
I’m sure French electricians are as competent as the home grown type.
Maybe ask at a local camp site?

OP
OP
HKF

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
I’m sure French electricians are as competent as the home grown type.
Maybe ask at a local camp site?

I'm sure they might be but being able to get across what I want will be impossible. Plus, I need someone I can trust who has adequate insurance. Too many people working under the table in France (French and English alike).

May 29, 2014
southampton
Funster No
MH
A frame
Exp
since 1985
I'm sure they might be but being able to get across what I want will be impossible. Plus, I need someone I can trust who has adequate insurance. Too many people working under the table in France (French and English alike).
Do you live in France full time or just for holidays?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
Thanks but it's not quite as easy as that. I live in France and don't speak French. Only enough to converse very basically. However, we may be bringing the MH over to the UK soon, so that's something we can get done when we're over here :)
if you pitched up at a rally i was at, i would help you fit one (as i am sure many more competent people would also do), the hardest thing usually is running the cables in between voids etc, so all wiring is hidden.

one thing i would definitely be doing in your position, is sourcing the socket itself, so that it matches what is already in your motorhome, then if you do ask someone in the UK to fit it, youre not waiting around to source the socket.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
When you come to the UK I would go to a benimar dealer and ask if they would show you on the same model where the distribution unit and fuses for everything are or ask on here if someone has the same model and would photograph the relevant page for you. In your position I would certainly get someone qualified to fit the socket but would buy the socket myself to make sure it matches. I'd also ditch the 12 v kettle ( is the wiring to where it plugs in sufficient) and use a gas one!

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
You definitely need to know where the consumer unit is, with the RCD and MCBs. This should have been shown to you at handover. It is a fundamental safety item. I think you should drive in to a Benimar dealer and ask to be shown where the consumer unit is. Any motorhome dealer that is selling Benimars, not just an official dealer, should be able to help you. In theory you are supposed to test the RCD monthly by pressing the 'Test' button to make sure it is still working.

Can you post a picture of the existing socket? There are two main brands (CBE and Berker) that look similar but are not exactly the same, and can be distinguished by looking at them.

OP
OP
HKF

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
if you pitched up at a rally i was at, i would help you fit one (as i am sure many more competent people would also do), the hardest thing usually is running the cables in between voids etc, so all wiring is hidden.

one thing i would definitely be doing in your position, is sourcing the socket itself, so that it matches what is already in your motorhome, then if you do ask someone in the UK to fit it, youre not waiting around to source the socket.

Good advice on the socket. Thank you so much!! I'll start sourcing a suitable one / ones :)

OP
OP
HKF

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
When you come to the UK I would go to a benimar dealer and ask if they would show you on the same model where the distribution unit and fuses for everything are or ask on here if someone has the same model and would photograph the relevant page for you. In your position I would certainly get someone qualified to fit the socket but would buy the socket myself to make sure it matches. I'd also ditch the 12 v kettle ( is the wiring to where it plugs in sufficient) and use a gas one!

The 12v kettle works fine, although the 12v plug gets a bit hot. I guess that's because it takes 30 minutes to boil?

I'm too scared of fire to use the gas.

OP
OP
HKF

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
You definitely need to know where the consumer unit is, with the RCD and MCBs. This should have been shown to you at handover. It is a fundamental safety item. I think you should drive in to a Benimar dealer and ask to be shown where the consumer unit is. Any motorhome dealer that is selling Benimars, not just an official dealer, should be able to help you. In theory you are supposed to test the RCD monthly by pressing the 'Test' button to make sure it is still working.

Can you post a picture of the existing socket? There are two main brands (CBE and Berker) that look similar but are not exactly the same, and can be distinguished by looking at them.

I think the family who we bought it from were too distraught to show us everything. Two crying children, one crying wife, a not-so-far-off crying husband with tears in his eyes, lots of kisses and hugs and the two of us left wondering if they'd ever forgive us for driving their beloved MH away!! There's no way I'm blaming them for forgetting to tell us where the consumer board is.

Here 's a picture of the 240v socket. Do you know what brand is it, please?

IMG_7113 001.jpg

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
Looks like a CBE. The inner part is square with rounded corners. The other brand, Berker, has a circular inner part. There are several CBE colours and styles

The silver outer bezel just clips on, so it can be prised off with a flat scraper or a knife. The socket, frame and bezel are bought separately - that's a double frame obviously. You can get single and triple frames if you want.

Most of the work with fitting sockets is running the wires to the new socket. Once it's there, it's about as easy to fit a double or triple as a single.

Last edited:

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
The 12v kettle works fine, although the 12v plug gets a bit hot. I guess that's because it takes 30 minutes to boil?

I'm too scared of fire to use the gas.
Perhaps reading all of https://www.morganclark.co.uk/about-us/blog/uk-house-fire-statistics/ will change alter your view.

To summarise what it's saying, if you assume roughly 50 percent of cookers are gas, then half of the 6,700 cooker fires are likely to be gas. However we don't know the split so for the sake of argument, lets skew that in your favour and 2,700 are electric meaning 4000 are gas. To the electric figure you have to add rings & hot plates (1,311), and grills & toasters (1,016) (you don't get gas toasters etc). so c5000 electrical fires thus far. Then you add in 3000 from electrical distribution (that includes cable reels and multi blocks), and 2000 from electrical appliances bringing the grand total of about 10,000 fires a years from electrical sources compared to about 4000 from gas. That means you are two and a half times more likely to have a house fire from an electrical source than gas - ignoring the candles, smoking etc.

I don't think there are any comparable stats for caravans and motorhomes, but our first caravan even had gas lighting. I saw a static van go up once, but that was someone welding the chassis under the van and setting light to the floor. Three other vans were destroyed by gas on the same site, but that was arson with people detaching the gas pipe and using it as a blowtorch.

We have only once had a fire in a house; caused by an electric deep fat fryer. Fortunately caught very quickly and dealt with by a fire blanket so the only damage was smoke on the ceiling and paintwork and a horrid smell. When I was a child, a brother, Not Ejaydee was playing with matches and candles in the kitchen and set the curtains alight! Nothing is risk free.

OP
OP
HKF

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
Perhaps reading all of https://www.morganclark.co.uk/about-us/blog/uk-house-fire-statistics/ will change alter your view.

To summarise what it's saying, if you assume roughly 50 percent of cookers are gas, then half of the 6,700 cooker fires are likely to be gas. However we don't know the split so for the sake of argument, lets skew that in your favour and 2,700 are electric meaning 4000 are gas. To the electric figure you have to add rings & hot plates (1,311), and grills & toasters (1,016) (you don't get gas toasters etc). so c5000 electrical fires thus far. Then you add in 3000 from electrical distribution (that includes cable reels and multi blocks), and 2000 from electrical appliances bringing the grand total of about 10,000 fires a years from electrical sources compared to about 4000 from gas. That means you are two and a half times more likely to have a house fire from an electrical source than gas - ignoring the candles, smoking etc.

I don't think there are any comparable stats for caravans and motorhomes, but our first caravan even had gas lighting. I saw a static van go up once, but that was someone welding the chassis under the van and setting light to the floor. Three other vans were destroyed by gas on the same site, but that was arson with people detaching the gas pipe and using it as a blowtorch.

We have only once had a fire in a house; caused by an electric deep fat fryer. Fortunately caught very quickly and dealt with by a fire blanket so the only damage was smoke on the ceiling and paintwork and a horrid smell. When I was a child, a brother, Not Ejaydee was playing with matches and candles in the kitchen and set the curtains alight! Nothing is risk free.

Thank you for trying to help me. I really do appreciate your time. However, it's not the risk of fire that bothers me. It's actual flames, of any size. So, even using a gas ring causes me anxiety. I don't really like anything that has a flame; an oven, a hob, a candle, matches etc. And the thought of how quickly a fire can take hold just terrifies me.

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
Understanding how fires spread or can be contained really helps manage the fear. It's no good having an extinguisher if you can't use it and don't know what sort to use on a particular fire. Ditto with a fire blanket. Squirt a water based extinguisher at an oil or electrical fire will spread the former and possibly kill you with the second. The rule in all circumstances is If in doubt, get everyone one out. Dial 999/112/911 and only then worry about fighting the fire.

OP
OP
HKF

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
Understanding how fires spread or can be contained really helps manage the fear. It's no good having an extinguisher if you can't use it and don't know what sort to use on a particular fire. Ditto with a fire blanket. Squirt a water based extinguisher at an oil or electrical fire will spread the former and possibly kill you with the second. The rule in all circumstances is If in doubt, get everyone one out. Dial 999/112/911 and only then worry about fighting the fire.

I would never try to fight a fire. I know all about the fire triangle, attacking fires with positive and negative pressure and even supply firefighting equipment to fire departments around the world but I would never get involved in fighting a fire myself. As the old saying goes.....get out, stay out.

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
Don't disagree. However I did undergo three days training with a fire brigade much if which was identifying if a fire could or should be tackled.

OP
OP
HKF

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
:ROFLMAO: why? Everyone was crying?

Yes, because the whole family were upset at selling their MH. Sorry but I don't understand why you think that's funny?

Jul 13, 2022
Tarragona, Spain
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Yes, because the whole family were upset at selling their MH. Sorry but I don't understand why you think that's funny?
Sorry, I found that funny, apologies, it must be some cultural country humour differences, no offence 😀

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
i dont think anyone should be too scared to tackle a fire, the important thing is knowing the size of the fire in the first instance and what is on fire. blowing out a candle is tackling a fire ....... =

sorry if thats ove simplistic, so perhaps a fire in a waste paper bin might be a better example. if you dont tackle it then it can spread to become significant, if you have the means to tackle it at its early stage, why wouldnt you? Its all about risk assessment, which is something we all do every day of our lives, more so when getting behind the steering wheel of our motorhomes.

dont be scared of fire, just treat it with the respect its due .......

OP
OP
HKF

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
Sorry, I found that funny, apologies, it must be some cultural country humour differences, no offence 😀

That's ok. We're English and bought our MH from a French family, in France. Their personal circumstances meant they were selling their MH and it was very upsetting for them and for us, seeing them so upset. We let them know that we'd decide to call our MH 'Tom' after their cute little dog and they said that was very nice of us and had made them smile :)

OP
OP
HKF

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
i dont think anyone should be too scared to tackle a fire, the important thing is knowing the size of the fire in the first instance and what is on fire. blowing out a candle is tackling a fire ....... =

sorry if thats ove simplistic, so perhaps a fire in a waste paper bin might be a better example. if you dont tackle it then it can spread to become significant, if you have the means to tackle it at its early stage, why wouldnt you? Its all about risk assessment, which is something we all do every day of our lives, more so when getting behind the steering wheel of our motorhomes.

dont be scared of fire, just treat it with the respect its due .......

Thanks but I'll always be scared of fire.

OP
OP
HKF

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
How do you get on with the food!

Fine. We eat mostly English type food, as I'm very funny about what I eat. I'm never stuck for anything to buy. The only thing I can't find is large tins of salmon, so i stock up when I'm back in the UK :) Were you thinking about any food in particular?

May 29, 2014
southampton
Funster No
MH
A frame
Exp
since 1985
Fine. We eat mostly English type food, as I'm very funny about what I eat. I'm never stuck for anything to buy. The only thing I can't find is large tins of salmon, so i stock up when I'm back in the UK :) Were you thinking about any food in particular?
No, Just an observation as it seems from your posts that you havn't really embraced France.
best wishes in getting van sorted.

OP
OP
HKF

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
No, Just an observation as it seems from your posts that you havn't really embraced France.
best wishes in getting van sorted.

I'm never sure what embraced means. I live there, I have a registered SAS business there, I bank there, I pay taxes there, I own a house there and I love living there. I'm not French, I'll never be French and I may not live there for the rest of my life. I'm not really sure what else I should be doing. Cycling around the countryside with onions around my neck, maybe? :giggler:

May 29, 2014
southampton
Funster No
MH
A frame
Exp
since 1985
I'm never sure what embraced means. I live there, I have a registered SAS business there, I bank there, I pay taxes there, I own a house there and I love living there. I'm not French, I'll never be French and I may not live there for the rest of my life. I'm not really sure what else I should be doing. Cycling around the countryside with onions around my neck, maybe? :giggler:
:ROFLMAO:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back