How Easy To Get Another 240v Socket Fitted? (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
Hi everyone! :)

We only have 1 x 240v socket it our MH. It's in the middle, at the end of the kitchen. When we're using it, we have to connect an extension to power 2 laptops and a 4 socket USB adaptor (for phones, camera battery, power packs etc). This extension ends up on one of the seats (so we don't trip up over it on the floor) and then have the inevitable array of cables coming off it. It all ends up looking like Spaghetti Junction....and it drives me mad!! Aside from this, I know it's not the ideal setup because sometimes the USB adaptor gets hot so we end up having to charge one thing at a time, which also drives me mad. On top of all this, if I want to make a cuppa, I have to unplug the extension to use the kettle!!! OK, I could use the 12v kettle but that takes 30 minutes to boil!!

So, how easy would it be to get another 240v socket fitted, please? Ideally, it would be great to have a second one somewhere near the table but how would the cables be routed from wherever they start, so that they're not on show? Is that even possible, or will it forever look like a retro-fit? Or is there some other solution that will be safe and tidy at the same time? Thank you :)

PS We do have 2 USB sockets in the rear bed area, which would be great for charging the phones etc., but we have to have the main lights on for the sockets to work!!

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
It depends on the van. Never seen two the same. Ideally a separate spur from the distribution unit wherever that is ( where the RCD is). Any sparky worth their certificate should be able to run one in without too much ado. As a tip, ask them to lay the cables in mini trunking. It makes it easier if you have to trace things and also will have space for a second circuit in the future.

OP
OP
HKF

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
It depends on the van. Never seen two the same. Ideally a separate spur from the distribution unit wherever that is ( where the RCD is). Any sparky worth their certificate should be able to run one in without too much ado. As a tip, ask them to lay the cables in mini trunking. It makes it easier if you have to trace things and also will have space for a second circuit in the future.

Thank you but......I'm going to sound really dumb here......I have no idea where the RCD is, or what it might look like. I know where the control panel is and it looks like this behind it...

IMG_3882 001.jpg

I have no idea where anything else is. We haven't seen anything electrical in the garage or in any of the cupboards. Should there be something else? What might it look like, please? And where might it be? Thank you :)

Aug 22, 2007
essex
Funster No
MH
2017 sunlight t69s euro6
Exp
since 1999
It's usually on the inside close to where the ehu lead plugs in

Reactions: HKF

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
It could be anywhere. Ours Is under the internal step that hinges up. The previous van, it was in the wardrobe.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
UK vans are usually on a radial circuit meaning each socket is wired from the previous socket (daisy chained) so only one twin and earth cable goes back to the consumer unit.
There's no reason why the same principle can't be employed on EU vans.
Once a route is planned for the new socket it takes maybe 20 minutes to install.

OP
OP
HKF

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
It's usually on the inside close to where the ehu lead plugs in

The EHU plugs in in the garage but there's nothing else electrical in there, apart from a small light. I can't think where else it might be!!

OP
OP
HKF

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
It could be anywhere. Ours Is under the internal step that hinges up. The previous van, it was in the wardrobe.

I honestly can't think where it is but, when we get back home, I'll search every inch of it!! 🔍

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
UK vans are usually on a radial circuit meaning each socket is wired from the previous socket (daisy chained) so only one twin and earth cable goes back to the consumer unit.
Once a route is planned for the new socket it takes maybe 20 minutes to install.
I thought Europe and most of the world used radial circuits with only the UK and Ireland using ring circuits (and perhaps Singapore?).

Last edited:
OP
OP
HKF

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021

Fantastic! That's great news, as the socket we have now is on the same side that I'd like the new one. Also, the cabling is inside a cupboard in the kitchen so the new cabling can be routed in the cupboard, through one of the seats and up underneath the table where I'd like the new one :)

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
It would be sensible to put in a double plug with usb outlets already in, I have replaced two of mine with ones that include usb’s , also have at least 6 12v usb sockets scattered around the van.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I thought Europe and most of the world used radial circuits with only the UK and Ireland used ring circuits (and perhaps Singapore?).
Quite possibly but being in the UK I've never worked on other counties electrics.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
HKF

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
While you are at it, I would fit more outlets. Nothing worse than mains leads trailing around in van.

Geoff

That's a great idea! Thank you :) One towards the back end of the van would be really useful, too. You're right, trailing cables are a nightmare! :eek:

OP
OP
HKF

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
It would be sensible to put in a double plug with usb outlets already in, I have replaced two of mine with ones that include usb’s , also have at least 6 12v usb sockets scattered around the van.

Excellent!! Thank you. Another great idea :)

Oct 28, 2022
Funster No
MH
Rapido
I just fitted two extra sockets, one in the garage, one by the galley, cost me under £30.

Hardest bit is drilling the 28mm hole! Well hoovering up after….

Dealer price is approx £300 a socket, installed.

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
I tried looking for the user manual to find teh location of the of the RCD. They say that 'Except for older models, we can provide it in digital format. Contact us indicating the chassis number of your vehicle, from our contact form or our email info@benimar.es.' If you get the manual it should show you exactly where to find it.

OP
OP
HKF

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
I just fitted two extra sockets, one in the garage, one by the galley, cost me under £30.

Hardest bit is drilling the 28mm hole! Well hoovering up after….

Dealer price is approx £300 a socket, installed.

Unfortunately, I'm no good at this sort of thing so would have to rely on our nearest dealer :cry:

OP
OP
HKF

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
I tried looking for the user manual to find teh location of the of the RCD. They say that 'Except for older models, we can provide it in digital format. Contact us indicating the chassis number of your vehicle, from our contact form or our email info@benimar.es.' If you get the manual it should show you exactly where to find it.

I do have a manual but it's all in French....and I don't speak French. Anything from Benimar will be in Spanish....and i don't speak Spanish, either. I can ask the dealer who upgraded us to lithium when I get back home. They must know where it is! :)

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
Not trying to be difficult but are you sure the whole manual is in French? Part of our Euromobil manual is in about half a dozen languages in sections of the same book.

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
With the Google or Apple Translate apps, you can point the phone camera at the manual in any language and read it on the phone.

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
Check out the local press for a local electrician, should be a lot cheaper than £300!
I agree but make sure they know to do it it flex as suggested by dunnah01. Solid core twin and earth will not like the constant vibration when travelling. It will eventually harden the single copper cores, and it will fracture internally.

OP
OP
HKF

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
Not trying to be difficult but are you sure the whole manual is in French? Part of our Euromobil manual is in about half a dozen languages in sections of the same book.

Thanks for double checking with me but, yes, it really is just all in French, unfortunately.

OP
OP
HKF

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
You really do need to know where it is.
If something trips a breaker (mcb) or the RCD you need to reset it or rely on 12v only..... Or go home.

I'm going to solve this as soon as I get home :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back