How did they unlock my cab? (3 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Feb 20, 2023
Funster No
MH
Benivan
You are right, UK motorway services demand a payment for stays longer than 2 hours, not sure what it is or if its even consistent across stations
Starts about £15 , some a lot more . Don't think there are any free ones Hence my post saying you get robbed on UK motorway services

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
Starts about £15 , some a lot more . Don't think there are any free ones Hence my post saying you get robbed on UK motorway services
so possibly cheaper to pull into a convenient CL site - other brands are also available

Feb 20, 2023
Funster No
MH
Benivan
so possibly cheaper to pull into a convenient CL site - other brands are also available
Have used UK motorway services when , suddenly, just too tired to drive . Usually a pub stop , carpark close by

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
Easiest way to unlock a van door? Force a screwdriver in, worse as this method will normally disarm alarms connected to the OBDP (alarm “arms when the door locks)

Motorways Aires? Thousands of people use them every night in the Summer, it’s what they’re for

Old ladies in convertible cars, asleep with a travel blanket over them, bikers asleep in sleeping bags next to their bike, families asleep in their cars, roof and windows open, all en route, all getting on with their lives, all using a facility designed to allow travellers to take a break and sleep, not forgetting the rufty tufty motorhomer’s, white knuckled, peering out through the cab curtains running commentary to “Doris” inside armed with an upside down can of pepper spray, wondering if they should remove their socks and crocs and Rohan trousers, or leave them on and sleep in shifts, ready for the inevitable break in!

We have always used motorway Aires when travelling, doors locked, alarm on and armed, bikes locked and protected via the alarm and I sleep like a baby.

I have no issues with people not using them! I just react to people try to put their own fear and neuroses on others “Ooooooo you mustn’t do that” “Oooooooo it’s not safe” when the facts are completely opposite

It’s really fine, it’s what they are there for
I love threads like this one that gives the opportunist car thief (the professionals already know it) tips on how to break into my vehicle!
Is this a Government sponsored programme to help the poor of Europe?

IF there was an easy way to overcome the Yale locks on our homes, would we advertise that too? 🤔

Last edited:

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Let’s just hope they don’t find Google or YoubTube eh?

Shall I post a link to a device that will guarantee to shut down any Thatcham approved tracker

Or simply Google it LOL

You buy them on eBay BTW

Jan 2, 2017
Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2010

Shall I post a link to a device that will guarantee to shut down any Thatcham approved tracker

Or simply Google it LOL

You buy them on eBay BTW
Does that also apply to the MetaTrak Plus? I’ve been happy with it so far, even though the annual subscription isn’t cheap

May 10, 2022
Funster No
MH
nuevo
Same thing happened to me in Spain in a small aire at 3.30 in the morning, the thief had used a screw driver to open all the doors, they push a screw diver up into the driver's door lock and operate the mechanism to open the doors, it's all on tube if you look for it. I went with pro plates to stop it happening again, some people strap drivers and passengers doors together, that doesn't work for me or you can fit secondary deadlocks.

Imo it's pretty well impossible to prevent thieves breaking to a van when your not there if the are determined and know what they are doing.
But you should be able to keep them out when you are in the van.

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend A
Exp
July 09
I have a cheap auto-play MP3 player connected to the rear speakers & wired-for-power via a relay from the alarm siren-output, and I've also fitted a manual inline off-switch so I can disable it when/if we have dogs onboard. ..... The only recording on it is a looped recording of one of our old pups that woofed like a savage wolf (but was in reality as soft as andrex), and when activated, it sounds from the outside like the Hound of the Baskervilles is trying to eat its way out.

Total cost sub-£15 and a couple of hours of easy wiring-in, and fortunately I've never needed it in anger (yet).
You can add the sound of loading up a rifle to that for alternative deterrent 👍

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975

Or simply Google it LOL

You buy them on eBay BTW

As you probably know, except for on here, I don't do much media watching but are you really saying that there are videos on YouTube showing exactly how to break into a Motorhome?

Surely under Government regulations, that's illegal and should be reported and IF people are not, then they are assisting the scumbags. 😡

PS. Thankyou once again for helping me find the tools that will help me change my profession to Motorhome stealer.
Sadly, your assistance has arrived too late! 😢

Mar 23, 2018
East Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 1995 + 20Yrs a 'Tugger' first.
I'm a VERY light sleeper and, against my Kukri, they would probably end up armless if that's how one spells it? 🤔
There is Police amnesty for "zombie knives" at the moment. You would be better advised to hand it in🤣

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
I love threads like this one that gives the opportunist car thief (the professionals already know it) tips on how to break into my vehicle!
Is this a Government sponsored programme to help the poor of Europe?

IF there was an easy way to overcome the Yale locks on our homes, would we advertise that too? 🤔

It's possible that sometimes people forget that whatever they write on here is public forever, since there's no way to delete posts and only a short window of time to edit them. It's probably the only downside to the friendliness of the group; it's easy to think you're chatting in private to your mates.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
As you probably know, except for on here, I don't do much media watching but are you really saying that there are videos on YouTube showing exactly how to break into a Motorhome?

Surely under Government regulations, that's illegal and should be reported and IF people are not, then they are assisting the scumbags. 😡

PS. Thankyou once again for helping me find the tools that will help me change my profession to Motorhome stealer.
Sadly, your assistance has arrived too late! 😢
There are Videos showing people being murdered and no one can do anything about it!

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
There are videos of how to open foolproof locks with a biro.

Sep 30, 2020
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg meteor 620
Exp
Since 2016
I doubt it can, the thieves will always move from one step behind to moving two steps ahead!

I have an electronics friend who can open almost any common, modern car. He made a device, sent it of to a couple of manufacturers so they could see how their vehicles but they were not interested. He convinced me that they already knee but any defence mechanism would be too expensive to build in and would soon be beaten and only removing modern features would cause a user revolt!
In that situation I would use a ratchet strap between the passenger and driver doors through the arm rests

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
In that situation I would use a ratchet strap between the passenger and driver doors through the arm rests

Wouldn't a chain be better, since they could break the window and cut a strap? I'm guessing that most thieves carry knives but not many would carry bolt croppers.

Nov 4, 2022
Hampshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg
Exp
Since 2005
May 10, 2022
Funster No
MH
nuevo
A 2017 article on van vulnerabilities and some precautions we can take, (I'm not posting a detailed how to video) our vans are designed for leisure with a reasonable amount of security. They will never prevent determined thieves.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

• Back