HELP - No Electricity

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Swift Suntor 590RL
CutThroatJake so the battery is accepting charge OK but not supplying any power ?
Sounds like the BMS has turned off discharge when the voltage got low to protect the battery from over discharge.
You will need to get into the app settings to turn it on.
You said Vanbitz fitted it ?
I would ring Vanbitz and they will explain what you have to do.

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
I’ve just checked the 50A fuse and it bleeped so I assume that’s good.
When you say bleeped do you mean you were testing continuity? If so then yes means it's working.

Have you got 230v working?

Does the Roamer battery have a setting to allow charge and discharge like the Fogstar ones or a switch like the older KS ones that needs to be turned on after the BMS shutdown?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
If the battery is charging then it looks like the BMS has reset already. Perhaps the panel/EBL need resetting.

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
When you say bleeped do you mean you were testing continuity? If so then yes means it's working.

Does the Roamer battery have a setting to allow charge and discharge like the Fogstar ones or a switch like the older KS ones that needs to be turned on after the BMS shutdown?
Looking at thr Roamer web site the App has a setting to turn discharging on and off is yours on?

Last edited:
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
My HYMER control panel is flashing red where you check the state of charge.
I wouldn't be too worried about that. The Hymer SOC indicator is probably set up for lead-acid batteries. If the nominal battery capacity is entered as say 200Ah, then that is taken as 100%. But the '0%' level is set at 20% of that, ie 40Ah. This is presumably so that the user can use down to 0% on the indicator, but still have 20% left so the lead-acid batteries are not damaged.

Obviously that's not the best for lithium, which can go lower than 20%. best to ignore it and go by the battery app, or better still a battery monitor with a shunt, such as the Victron SmartShunt.

When you say the battery is at 32%, what indicator is showing that? Are you reading the Hymer display or something else?

Is everything working, 230V and 12V, apart from the Roamer battery app? If not, what exactly isn't working now?

Last edited:
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
My Roamer battery has an on /off switch which glows when the battery is on, might be worth checking it is lit if yours has one. Also some EBLs have a Batterie Ein / Batterie Aus switch which has been known to play up, might be worth wiggling this off and on.

OP
OP
CutThroatJake

CutThroatJake

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
HYMER B890 MLi
Exp
Learning
Did you check out any of the videos on Youtube as I suggested ?
I did. The ones I watched showed how to wake the BMS so it will accept a charge.

Would I be correct tin thinking as my batteries are charging then I don’t need to ‘jump start’ them?

OP
OP
CutThroatJake

CutThroatJake

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
HYMER B890 MLi
Exp
Learning

No the 230v is still not working.

I’m not sure about the charge and discharge settings. The ones on the main screen say I could damage the batteries if I press them on load.

OP
OP
CutThroatJake

CutThroatJake

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
HYMER B890 MLi
Exp
Learning
I wouldn't be too worried about that. The Hymer SOC indicator is probably set up for lead-acid batteries. If the nominal battery capacity is entered as say 200Ah, then that is taken as 100%. But the '0%' level is set at 20% of that, ie 40Ah. This is presumably so that the user can use down to 0% on the indicator, but still have 20% left so the lead-acid batteries are not damaged.

Obviously that's not the best for lithium, which can go lower than 20%. best to ignore it and go by the battery app, or better still a battery monitor with a shunt, such as the Victron SmartShunt.

When you say the battery is at 32%, what indicator is showing that? Are you reading the Hymer display or something else?

Is everything working, 230V and 12V, apart from the Roamer battery app? If not, what exactly isn't working now?
No I still have no 12v or 230v

I have a smart shunt which is now showing the batteries at 33% charged

OP
OP
CutThroatJake

CutThroatJake

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
HYMER B890 MLi
Exp
Learning
My Roamer battery has an on /off switch which glows when the battery is on, might be worth checking it is lit if yours has one. Also some EBLs have a Batterie Ein / Batterie Aus switch which has been known to play up, might be worth wiggling this off and on.
I don’t think mine have a switch on the batteries. They are the Smart3 version.

I have tried switching the EB on & off. Should I jiggle it about for a while?

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
Would I be correct tin thinking as my batteries are charging then I don’t need to ‘jump start’ them?
How do you know the batteries are charging? If it's the Hymer panel display, I wouldn't take that as an accurate percentage level by any means. Can you see the charging amps going into the battery, if so what amps is it? What is the Ah capacity of the battery?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
If the voltage has cut off the EBL will have turned on off, there is a small slide switch turn it off then back on.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Sounds like the Hymer EBL has switched itself off. Have you tried switching it back on manually? Different ways to do that but on my 2015 Hymer just push in the round knob on the panel.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
No I still have no 12v or 230v

I have a smart shunt which is now showing the batteries at 33% charged
I thought you only had the 12v not working the Multiplus needs 12v on it for the mains pass through to work and it also needs to be switched to either charger or inverter for the mains pass through to work.

OP
OP
CutThroatJake

CutThroatJake

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
HYMER B890 MLi
Exp
Learning
How do you know the batteries are charging? If it's the Hymer panel display, I wouldn't take that as an accurate percentage level by any means. Can you see the charging amps going into the battery, if so what amps is it? What is the Ah capacity of the battery?
I have the cerbo screen which is connected to my smart shunt

IMG_5167.jpeg

OP
OP
CutThroatJake

CutThroatJake

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
HYMER B890 MLi
Exp
Learning
If the voltage has cut off the EBL will have turned on off, there is a small slide switch turn it off then back on.
I have done that but it doesn’t appear to be doing anything. I assume that not a good thing?

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
I'm not sure I understand this. You have no 230V, but the battery is charging. Is it charging from solar, or is some of the 230V still working?

The 230V should work independently of the EBL. The only thing in the EBL that is 230V is the charger. The 230V trip switches should be in a separate box somewhere, probably near the mains inlet somewhere. Have the trip switches tripped? Is it just the RCD (the one with a 'Test' button) or did more than one of them trip?

OP
OP
CutThroatJake

CutThroatJake

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
HYMER B890 MLi
Exp
Learning
Sounds like the Hymer EBL has switched itself off. Have you tried switching it back on manually? Different ways to do that but on my 2015 Hymer just push in the round knob on the panel.
How do I do that? I have switched the little switch on and off. Is there something else?

OP
OP
CutThroatJake

CutThroatJake

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
HYMER B890 MLi
Exp
Learning
The 230V should work independently of the EBL. The only thing in the EBL that is 230V is the charger. The 230V trip switches should be in a separate box somewhere, probably near the mains inlet somewhere. Have the trip switches tripped? Is it just the RCD (the one with a 'Test' button) or did more than one of them trip?
I’m not sure. Are these the ones you mean?

IMG_5168.jpeg

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
I’m not sure. Are these the ones you mean?
Yes, it looks like they are all on, ie none of them has tripped. Is that a photo of them now, or an old photo?

FYI, there's two separate boxes. The lower box has one RCD (with the blue 'Test' button) and two MCBs (no test button). The middle MCB has 'B16' on it, which means it's a 16A trip. The upper box has one RCD and one MCB. Unfortunately I can't quite read the other MCBs, but I can see they are double figures, so they are at least 10A.

About the two boxes, do you have an inverter fitted? Maybe the upper box is for the inverter output. Or it could just be an extra box because the lower box is too small.

Last edited:
OP
OP
CutThroatJake

CutThroatJake

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
HYMER B890 MLi
Exp
Learning
Yes, it looks like they are all on, ie none of them has tripped. Is that a photo of them now, or an old photo?

FYI, there's two separate boxes. The lower box has one RCD (with the blue 'Test' button) and two MCBs (no test button). The middle MCB has 'B16' on it, which means it's a 16A trip. The upper box has one RCD and one MCB. Unfortunately I can't quite read the other MCBs, but I can see they are double figures, so they are at least 10A.
The picture was take a few minutes ago👍🏻

I just pressed the test button on the both. No change to our situation.

IMG_5170.jpeg

IMG_5169.jpeg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back