Has anyone fitted full air suspension and then regretted the result?

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer B614SL
Exp
since 2020
I’ve had all the quotes and I’m 80% ready to go but of course, I’m worried about dropping that much money for something I can’t experience until it’s done.

I’m referring to full 4C air suspension rather than air assist and really was to know if anyone has regretted it after the event?

Predominately I’m looking to improve the ride which is awful and crashy on anything other than billiard table smooth roads. I know it won’t become a Citroen ride but I’m looking for improvements. (Tyres already changed from CP and pressures at 55/65 psi)

Secondly I want better handling and motorway stability.

Feedback really appreciated before I 100% pull the trigger.

Thanks.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
We were on the cusp ourselves of having VP semi air which we had on our last Hymer.
However changing the tyres to the Michelin cross climate campers, which are CP rated, made such a difference we definitely don’t need full or semi air any longer. Re purposed the money onto replacement electric bikes.

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
I had full air 4C fitted and it is fantastic. Way over priced in my view but if I ever get another Motorhome It will be the first thing to be fitted and I will still resent the cost.
Benefits: levelling on site is a breeze, stability much improved, crashing on bumps much improved but still there a bit but I keep my a/t tyres at 70 &75. Overtaking Lorries much improved, as is being overtaken by coaches. Loading and unloading scooter much easier as can dip the back down! Driving on and off ferry’s much safer as can lift the back up, we have a long overhang and often ground. Grounding wheels no longer necessary. Rough farm tracks etc better because whole suspension can be lifted. Emptying grey water tank easier as can dip the rear corner down. Uprating suspension possible with better wheels and tyres.
Downsides: Cost only.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Frankia A Class
Exp
Had this done last month and are currently on our first long trip since and the difference is unbelievable in my opinion. I did not think that the ride quality would improve as much as it has. I have run trucks with both metal and air suspension for years so fully expected some improvement but not the dramatic improvement that this has made, possibly due to the front being air as well. All the other benefits mentioned by OldAgeTravellers apply as well. I would also question the cost though.

OP
OP
a900ss
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer B614SL
Exp
since 2020
Had this done last month and are currently on our first long trip since and the difference is unbelievable in my opinion. I did not think that the ride quality would improve as much as it has. I have run trucks with both metal and air suspension for years so fully expected some improvement but not the dramatic improvement that this has made, possibly due to the front being air as well. All the other benefits mentioned by OldAgeTravellers apply as well. I would also question the cost though.

Great feedback. What sort of van do you have? Mine is based on a Ducato. Thanks.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Mine is an A class on a Ducato chassis (it's only 6m long). It was very crashy when I got it. Tiring to drive. Switching to van tyres helped a lot.

I put VB 4C full air on it last year. The step change in vibration and noise reduction was similar to switching to van tyres. There's still rattles, but a lot less. And the ride is actually pretty plush. A hell of a lot less busy than my parents Skoda SUV (which has no rattles, but you feel every road ripple). It's mainly internal noise rather than whole body shake now. My wife falls asleep very quickly. 😋

Handling improved a bit, but being a small van, it wasn't that bad to begin with. It does nod the front a little on successive bumps like it's maybe a little under damped? It also rides very low now, mainly because it was very high at the rear and they've leveled it off. But off-road mode can compensate for when I'm running across rough ground. Self leveling means I've only used the ramps a couple of times.

Not had any reliability issues. It was expensive, but I like it. The cat doesn't get worked up by the noise and barf now, so that might be affecting my assessment. Cat says it was a good buy. 😸

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
Just to add, mine is an “A” Class 7.1mt and 4.5 tonne soon to be uprated I hope.
I have just thought of a minus, it seems slower than I thought to act. Having a fairly large reservoir I would have expected it to rise quicker than it does. When you see how quick busses for example dip their front for loading.
p.s. Sorry for the positive reply to your question above a900ss but I can’t find any negatives except the price and speed of acting.
But, the company VB has not left me happy. Mine had a factory assembly fault which I highlighted in another thread which they said was not dangerous but I shouldn’t drive it! But they have failed to pay what it cost me to rectify the fault or even contact me to say why they would not pay my costs.

Last edited:
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
My VB 4C can take the best part of a minute to switch modes. It's not quick. It's not practical to switch it to rise mode just for a big speed bump. But 99% of the time, it's fast enough.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
AS Warwick XL MQ
Exp
Since 1986
I've had both VB and Goldschmitt on previous A Class motorhomes. Goldsmith far superior, allows you to raise the back far higher (ferry's etc), and is recommended by Hymer UK). Great ride too.

Worth looking at.

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
36 years and 16 motorhomes
I upgraded my first Morelo from 2C to 4C, it came factory fitted with the rear air to allow loading and management of the rear car garage. Being completely honest, on driving back home after having it fitted I felt like I had wasted my money. I did not notice a huge difference and would probably if in the same position again would not bother. Having moved to larger liners with the Mercedes factory fitted Air Suspension it is everything I hoped the VB System would be but wasn’t, even the lifting of the rear end for ferries etc was not that great with the VB but the complete opposite with the factory Merc system. I’m sorry this may not be what you want to hear but I’m being honest, it was not what I was expecting and it’s a lot of money to be disappointed with.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
Save a great big chunk of your money and get some proper shocks. I’ve fitted Marquart shock absorbers and they make a massive difference. They are c. €1200 and for that you get shock absorbers valved specifically to your vehicle, depending on overhang, what weight you carry and where etc etc.

Worth every penny IMHO.

Last edited:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I have just thought of a minus, it seems slower than I thought to act. Having a fairly large reservoir I would have expected it to rise quicker than it does. When you see how quick busses for example dip their front for loading.
That's you being a tight arse Steve you should have spent another £4k for the active air. 🤣

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Last van 4.5 ton Hymer on Ducato/Al-ko we originally had VB full air fitted it was too low at the rear had it taken off and a full refund.

The had Goldschmitt fitted the crashes turned to thumps but the ride was not as good at expected but the driving stability was amazing. You could go past arctics at 70 takes your hands off the wheel and it would keep a dead straight line.
Then I changed the Camper tyres to CP and got a similar improvement in comfort.
Could get level over 90% of the time.

I was going to get full air on the new van but now I've driven it a few thousand miles most of the crashing is from the rear. The van has VB font springs and side wind stability is almost as good as a van with full air.
So now thinking of semi air on the rear and Jacks.

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
36 years and 16 motorhomes
That's you being a tight arse Steve you should have spent another £4k for the active air. 🤣
Active air doesn’t increase the raise and lower speed, it is independent of the airbags. it is basically electrically controlled shockers which can stiffen or loosen as controlled by the control system to give better control dependant on the situation

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
Last van 4.5 ton Hymer on Ducato/Al-ko we originally had VB full air fitted it was too low at the rear had it taken off and a full refund.

The had Goldschmitt fitted the crashes turned to thumps but the ride was not as good at expected but the driving stability was amazing. You could go past arctics at 70 takes your hands off the wheel and it would keep a dead straight line.
Then I changed the Camper tyres to CP and got a similar improvement in comfort.
Could get level over 90% of the time.

I was going to get full air on the new van but now I've driven it a few thousand miles most of the crashing is from the rear. The van has VB font springs and side wind stability is almost as good as a van with full air.
So now thinking of semi air on the rear and Jacks.
You’ll be sorry!!! 😊

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Imminent Purchase!
I've had both VB and Goldschmitt on previous A Class motorhomes. Goldsmith far superior, allows you to raise the back far higher (ferry's etc), and is recommended by Hymer UK). Great ride too.

Worth looking at.
Goldschmitt owned by Hymer now (which is owned by Thor industries)!

OP
OP
a900ss
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer B614SL
Exp
since 2020
I upgraded my first Morelo from 2C to 4C, it came factory fitted with the rear air to allow loading and management of the rear car garage. Being completely honest, on driving back home after having it fitted I felt like I had wasted my money. I did not notice a huge difference and would probably if in the same position again would not bother. Having moved to larger liners with the Mercedes factory fitted Air Suspension it is everything I hoped the VB System would be but wasn’t, even the lifting of the rear end for ferries etc was not that great with the VB but the complete opposite with the factory Merc system. I’m sorry this may not be what you want to hear but I’m being honest, it was not what I was expecting and it’s a lot of money to be disappointed with.

All feedback welcome.

I've used to drive 44T arctics with full air (tractor and trailer) and those systems are state of the art.

Not expecting that level of sophistication but I’ve also driven older tractor units on steel springs and without a trailer. Easy to feel why full air is needed on HGV’s

Slower raising/lifting isn’t going to be a huge issue. Ride comfort and handling are the main objectives for me. Levelling is a nice to have as well.

Thanks.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Flair
Exp
25years
I’ve had goldsmith on my last 2 motorhomes in all 27years wouldn’t be without it ,just replaced it due to crazing like a tyre goes and I’m still very pleased.

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Also GS here (4c) i like a few things about it.

1) lowering of the whole van for access once parked up
2) raising the back end for ferry access
3) built in weighing system
4) programmable features like grey water tank emptying
5) lowering of van when on the highway which helps with stability and in theory very slightly on fuel saving (not sure about that last one…)

Ride is coach like 👍🏻

The only negative we found (beyond weight and cost) is that on our van it does jack up the back slightly vs the front in normal ride height mode, seems a bit odd but GS have confirmed it’s correct. Probably different on other vans.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Goldschmitt owned by Hymer now (which is owned by Thor industries)!
A right pain I couldn't transfer my Goldschmitt to my Carthago as Carthago don't approve it,. Obvisly because it's a Hymer company no other reason as it would be going from one Ducato /Al-ko chassis to another Ducato /Al-ko chassis.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back