Has anyone fitted full air suspension and then regretted the result? (6 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jul 4, 2021
Bristol, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B614SL
Exp
since 2020
I’ve had all the quotes and I’m 80% ready to go but of course, I’m worried about dropping that much money for something I can’t experience until it’s done.

I’m referring to full 4C air suspension rather than air assist and really was to know if anyone has regretted it after the event?

Predominately I’m looking to improve the ride which is awful and crashy on anything other than billiard table smooth roads. I know it won’t become a Citroen ride but I’m looking for improvements. (Tyres already changed from CP and pressures at 55/65 psi)

Secondly I want better handling and motorway stability.

Feedback really appreciated before I 100% pull the trigger.

Thanks.

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
We were on the cusp ourselves of having VP semi air which we had on our last Hymer.
However changing the tyres to the Michelin cross climate campers, which are CP rated, made such a difference we definitely don’t need full or semi air any longer. Re purposed the money onto replacement electric bikes.

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
I had full air 4C fitted and it is fantastic. Way over priced in my view but if I ever get another Motorhome It will be the first thing to be fitted and I will still resent the cost.
Benefits: levelling on site is a breeze, stability much improved, crashing on bumps much improved but still there a bit but I keep my a/t tyres at 70 &75. Overtaking Lorries much improved, as is being overtaken by coaches. Loading and unloading scooter much easier as can dip the back down! Driving on and off ferry’s much safer as can lift the back up, we have a long overhang and often ground. Grounding wheels no longer necessary. Rough farm tracks etc better because whole suspension can be lifted. Emptying grey water tank easier as can dip the rear corner down. Uprating suspension possible with better wheels and tyres.
Downsides: Cost only.

Jun 19, 2018
Perth Scotland
Funster No
MH
Frankia A Class
Exp
Had this done last month and are currently on our first long trip since and the difference is unbelievable in my opinion. I did not think that the ride quality would improve as much as it has. I have run trucks with both metal and air suspension for years so fully expected some improvement but not the dramatic improvement that this has made, possibly due to the front being air as well. All the other benefits mentioned by OldAgeTravellers apply as well. I would also question the cost though.

OP
OP
a900ss
Jul 4, 2021
Bristol, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B614SL
Exp
since 2020
Had this done last month and are currently on our first long trip since and the difference is unbelievable in my opinion. I did not think that the ride quality would improve as much as it has. I have run trucks with both metal and air suspension for years so fully expected some improvement but not the dramatic improvement that this has made, possibly due to the front being air as well. All the other benefits mentioned by OldAgeTravellers apply as well. I would also question the cost though.

Great feedback. What sort of van do you have? Mine is based on a Ducato. Thanks.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Mine is an A class on a Ducato chassis (it's only 6m long). It was very crashy when I got it. Tiring to drive. Switching to van tyres helped a lot.

I put VB 4C full air on it last year. The step change in vibration and noise reduction was similar to switching to van tyres. There's still rattles, but a lot less. And the ride is actually pretty plush. A hell of a lot less busy than my parents Skoda SUV (which has no rattles, but you feel every road ripple). It's mainly internal noise rather than whole body shake now. My wife falls asleep very quickly. 😋

Handling improved a bit, but being a small van, it wasn't that bad to begin with. It does nod the front a little on successive bumps like it's maybe a little under damped? It also rides very low now, mainly because it was very high at the rear and they've leveled it off. But off-road mode can compensate for when I'm running across rough ground. Self leveling means I've only used the ramps a couple of times.

Not had any reliability issues. It was expensive, but I like it. The cat doesn't get worked up by the noise and barf now, so that might be affecting my assessment. Cat says it was a good buy. 😸

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back