Guys and gals I need your input. (27 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
If you lo e the van get it fixed you won't buy another for that price. Check the insurance may even pay for you to collect it.

Don't forget your travel insurance will Cover the loss of your holiday.

So you should get back ferry costs and any bookings.

Good luck keep calm
If Jim doesn't want to get involved, I can see no reason why he has to be as long as he doesn't mind the membership being involved?
All it needs is someone being Treasurer for a small fee.

I have travelled the world and been paid to do it because it was work. As I said earlier, if I was younger, travelling all over Europe with all reasonable expenses paid, sounds just the job for me but sadly, I'm too old BUT, if I was recently retired, it sounds a great way to meet thankful fellow Funsters and more of Europe. Just the job for someone like Northernraider perhaps? 😄
I'm lost

What you talking about?

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
That does sound very reasonable as I expect the out and return ferry fare will be quite a few quid.
Out of interest do any of our trucker posters know how much the ferry might be?
They'll do it as a back load. Basically the truck will already be in France delivering something else

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
Hmm, although it'd surely cause long delays waiting for sufficient (broken down ?) vehicles to make up an economical load both ways?

Yebbut, wouldn't the French truck also have the cost of going both ways?
When I moved house to Cologne 30 years ago the outward trip was about three times the cost of when I moved back to the U.K. four years later using the same firm. I was told that it was less expensive because many trucks would otherwise be coming back empty. 🤷‍♂️
Yes a FRENCH Truck would have the cost of going both ways BUT as it was part of a RETURN load on a BRITISH vehicle, just for costing purposes I thought I would look up the costlier single crossing? 🤔

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Sorry Tam, I should not have highlighted you as I know you have enough on your hands at the moment but you came into my head as an ideal person for the job, a free spirit with common sense! 😄
What job ?

Sorry I've not read all the posts on this .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 28, 2022
Western France
Funster No
MH
Pilote G600
Exp
Since 2006
I absolutely understand your scepticism because I found it hard to believe too. I have looked for a leak without success, and had better do so again, but have also seen the interior of the wheel running with condensation. It is bone dry at the moment but we are visiting Cornwall next month which might throw-up an answer!
Well, it is 1 - 0 to the sceptics! It has started raining here and I have checked the wheel well again. It is soaking wet but there is no condensation on the spare wheel. I'm drawn to the conclusion that, as someone said, there must be a leak and the reason I have seen lots of condensation on the spare wheel is because there is a puddle to evaporate and condense on the cold metal. Just got to find the leak now; I've tried before and it wasn't obvious. Thanks for your opinions.

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
Well, it is 1 - 0 to the sceptics! It has started raining here and I have checked the wheel well again. It is soaking wet but there is no condensation on the spare wheel. I'm drawn to the conclusion that, as someone said, there must be a leak and the reason I have seen lots of condensation on the spare wheel is because there is a puddle to evaporate and condense on the cold metal. Just got to find the leak now; I've tried before and it wasn't obvious. Thanks for your opinions.
Sprinkle talc or flour you will see the runs
Talc smells nicer flour can turn to glue

You have been warned ⚠️

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I see from another thread chaser that you are safely home 👍 time to reflect and regroup I guess

I am by slightly confused why the repairs are still being done then you are having it recovered. I get you don’t want the drive and the potential risk driving the newly repaired unit back. Have you already paid for the repairs, could you not cut your losses and bring it back broken and sort it back here?

Apologies if you have explained already , I have skimmed over the last few pages but didn’t see why. Your tale is making me nervous about taking our nearly 20 year old MH overseas again 🤔🙁

Hope it gets back quickly and you are back on the road , we followed you down the canal du midi many years ago used that aire with the old abattoir quite close to Carcassone we got there a few days after you , but have yet to meet up, next year maybe 👍

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I see from another thread chaser that you are safely home 👍 time to reflect and regroup I guess

I am by slightly confused why the repairs are still being done then you are having it recovered. I get you don’t want the drive and the potential risk driving the newly repaired unit back. Have you already paid for the repairs, could you not cut your losses and bring it back broken and sort it back here?

Apologies if you have explained already , I have skimmed over the last few pages but didn’t see why. Your tale is making me nervous about taking our nearly 20 year old MH overseas again 🤔🙁

Hope it gets back quickly and you are back on the road , we followed you down the canal du midi many years ago used that aire with the old abattoir quite close to Carcassone we got there a few days after you , but have yet to meet up, next year maybe 👍
The problem with this is that I had already agreed with the garage for them to do it and they went ahead and got the parts now I suppose I could have wangled my way out of it but you can bet they would have wanted storage costs and what have you.
On top of that I like to think I am straight in my dealings and just didn't want the mither.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 6, 2019
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1987
One point. If they decide to get your van home, make sure they cover the number plate, or part of it. Otherwise you could end up with all sorts of fines, charges, tolls etc as so many are automatic these days. The last thing you want is bills from each country landing on your mat for the next few months.
Good luck

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Post in thread 'canal du midi à la chaser Feb 2017'
https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/canal-du-midi-à-la-chaser-feb-2017.145381/post-2233283

Hadn’t realised we named our trip after you 😁 2017 although it actually seems longer ago and I now think it might have been a year after you visited
I well remember that site by the midi in an old butchers all fitted out with kettles and stuff for ramblers, we arrived one day and went into the town and there was genuinely not one person about or anything open.
We went in the next day and there was a market all over the town and it was rammed.

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
The problem with this is that I had already agreed with the garage for them to do it and they went ahead and got the parts now I suppose I could have wangled my way out of it but you can bet they would have wanted storage costs and what have you.
On top of that I like to think I am straight in my dealings and just didn't want the mither.
Tomorrow I will attempt to write it all down although I'm afraid you won't believe me on half of it as I can hardly believe it myself. (y)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
would dread coming back to get it.
Which looking at it the £1850 won't be a lot more than fetching it ourselves.
Normally breakdown insurance will cover your cost to travel out to the vehicle once it is repaired. Worth asking LV for a contribution towards your costs of getting it back.

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Normally breakdown insurance will cover your cost to travel out to the vehicle once it is repaired. Worth asking LV for a contribution towards your costs of getting it back.
Yeah going to try that but don't expect much luck.
They seem to have their set procedures and stick to it even if it's costing more.

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Yeah going to try that but don't expect much luck.
They seem to have their set procedures and stick to it even if it's costing more.
An example of this is our air fares today, it was about £80 a piece on ryanair but seriously they couldn't book any airfare that was less than £300 so we have had to book our own and claim it back.
This is dead serious, no joke.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back