Guys and gals I need your input. (66 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Hi folks, no lv have been brilliant it's just the fact of one thing after another, you couldn't really make it up, one thing is my other phone decided to give up so haven't been able to get on here,bank or anything., but we are flying home tomorrow I will then fill you all in.
Tell you what though, Nanniemate idea of getting on to travel insurance is one I hadn't thought of.
I'll have to look into that.

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Just another thing I have now found a cheaper repatriation low loader firm , too late for us now but I will tell all tomorrow.
Just to say if I had found them before i went down the garage route I would have saved 5 grand.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
Just another thing I have now found a cheaper repatriation low loader firm , too late for us now but I will tell all tomorrow.
Just to say if I had found them before i went down the garage route I would have saved 5 grand.
So are you saying LV are not repatriating your van and you are paying?

Sep 7, 2017
Funster No
Oh no, that’s very annoying.

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
Whenever I read, the extraordinary amount to repatriate a relatively small vehicle from Europe, am I the only one who thinks, with such a large number of members, there must be a cheaper way?

Although, because of my age, my travelling abroad is over, I still wonder how many other Funsters go abroad on a regular basis and, if the number is sufficient, why can't they have an agreement with an existing hauling company OR purchase a suitable transporting vehicle of their own.

I had a HGV 1 and Transport Managers licence until I reached my 75 birthday in 2015, so I'm sure others will have similar?

I'm sure most of us would prefer our vehicles repatriated to home or a garage we trust, so is it worth thinking about it as it could be used in the UK too.

If only I was younger.....😢

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Whenever I read, the extraordinary amount to repatriate a relatively small vehicle from Europe, am I the only one who thinks, with such a large number of members, there must be a cheaper way?

Although, because of my age, my travelling abroad is over, I still wonder how many other Funsters go abroad on a regular basis and, if the number is sufficient, why can't they have an agreement with an existing hauling company OR purchase a suitable transporting vehicle of their own.

I had a HGV 1 and Transport Managers licence until I reached my 75 birthday in 2015, so I'm sure others will have similar?

I'm sure most of us would prefer our vehicles repatriated to home or a garage we trust, so is it worth thinking about it as it could be used in the UK too.

The bloke I have found is just another of the big mistakes, he is a guy we know but never thought about him till it was too late, he delivers plant all over the world and is always on the lookout for return loads, even though we are now having the van done he is bringing it back for £2500 just to save me anymore hassle.
Whether this is just a favour for us I don't know but will ask him if he would be interested.
But for 2500 our van could be at home now instead of in a garage.

May 5, 2015
Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2010
The bloke I have found is just another of the big mistakes, he is a guy we know but never thought about him till it was too late, he delivers plant all over the world and is always on the lookout for return loads, even though we are now having the van done he is bringing it back for £2500 just to save me anymore hassle.
Whether this is just a favour for us I don't know but will ask him if he would be interested.
See if he wants you to share his details on here Charlie?

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
Is that not always the way of life (it is for me), I KNOW I have a special tool in my collection, but can I find it, can I hell!
So, after days of searching, I buy another and next day I have found the original one! 🤬
I now have, at least, two of EVERYTHING especially the things I'm not looking for. 😄

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
This trip has been completely like that, make a decision then a better one turns up when it's too late.
It's easy sitting at home but when you are here and something has to be decided on the spot it's a different matter.

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
This trip has been completely like that, make a decision then a better one turns up when it's too late.
It's easy sitting at home but when you are here and something has to be decided on the spot it's a different matter.
Bit like choosing what lane to take or the queue in the supermarket, once you get in it the other one moves faster 😀

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
I definitely will when I see him.

He would make my proposal easier, he could cover Europe and what I proposed, could just be mainly UK only.

Just think about it, with 60,000 members, an extra £10 per year would allow an awful lot of money to use & play with?

Might even have a share out or buying a Lottery ticket with the surplus every 2nd year leaving the present years finance in place!

If on I was younger! 😢

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970

On Time logistics used to have a couple of car transporters working throughout France in the season picking up broken down cars and motorhomes..Ten years ago it was about £500 for a car.Dont know if they still do this service..BUSBY

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
That's about the right price . But do get onto travel insurance straight away DO NOT WAIT UNTIL YOU GET HOME
Another wise person said to me you make a decision AT THE TIME ITS THE RIGHT ONE .
You had to make a decision reflection is how you'd do it differently in a similar situation
Don't beat yourself up

Plus the added bonus of a good tale to tell
It would be boring if
Broke down
Rang brakedown service
Vehicle recovered
Flew home

What's the fun in that :wink:

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
On Time logistics used to have a couple of car transporters working throughout France in the season picking up broken down cars and motorhomes..Ten years ago it was about £500 for a car.Dont know if they still do this service..BUSBY
Yes they do on average 10/12 day turnaround but usually on contract to breakdown cover

Don't ask how I know but

They said 12 days from Barcelona turned up in 10 . Driver apologised as he got diverted to Portugal as he had room for 2 7m vans

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Here we are last lunch in Carcassonne
IMG_20240924_132720643.jpg

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Yes it was good, done know what it's called but it's in the main square at the highest corner.

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Hi folks, no lv have been brilliant it's just the fact of one thing after another, you couldn't really make it up, one thing is my other phone decided to give up so haven't been able to get on here,bank or anything., but we are flying home tomorrow I will then fill you all in.
Tell you what though, Nanniemate idea of getting on to travel insurance is one I hadn't thought of.
I'll have to look into that.
Infact lv are paying the air fare.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back