Good news for visiting Wales (1 Viewer)

Jan 1, 2019
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B704 PL
Exp
Since 2017
Is that not impressed as a local or as poor locations form use as a motorhome.

A trial at minimum costs to see if it works, it’s now upto the motorhome community to show it deserves more investment.
I think these are poor locations apart from the Tenby location but it is definitely a start.

There are loads of cracking spots in Pembrokeshire that could be opened up but the majority of the car parks are managed by the National Trust and that’s another story.

I believe every town and village should have an aire with a 48 hour stopover financed by the council. They will more than cover their costs in the long run.

Pembrokeshire Council Tax to rise by 21%

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
I agree that area of Wales could benefit greatly from decent stop overs properly controlled.

DiL from Tenby and our boys went to school in Saundersfoot.
They are in the area often.

Aug 19, 2007
Stockport
Funster No
MH
Tribute 615T sport
Exp
17 years + since 2006
Yes they were , Gates locked at night then opened in morning. Black disposal, fresh available. Note sure of current cost
Gates may be locked but you can access it by foot from beach or main entrance so not that secure, rough car park which i used to use when it was £5/£7 a night (its now £17.50 a night until 31 march then £20 and he hikes the prices up for fireworks or air show) ,wont use it any more as the C&C rally's at Victoria park are cheaper more secure and better parking .

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I think these are poor locations apart from the Tenby location but it is definitely a start.

There are loads of cracking spots in Pembrokeshire that could be opened up but the majority of the car parks are managed by the National Trust and that’s another story.

I believe every town and village should have an aire with a 48 hour stopover financed by the council. They will more than cover their costs in the long run.

Pembrokeshire Council Tax to rise by 21%
There are many better locations but would they benefit the local economy?

Take Freshwater West as an example - great position but nothing really to spend any money on.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 1, 2019
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B704 PL
Exp
Since 2017
There are many better locations but would they benefit the local economy?

Take Freshwater West as an example - great position but nothing really to spend any money on.
Hi Chris,
Every stop would benefit the local area in one way or another from shopping in the local stores through to eating in restaurants and cafes.

As you know, Fresh is used by surfers, walkers etc. An aire would be great there and there is space on the headland but it would have to be regulated ie. Vans would have to have toilets on board.

Anything is better than the current situation at Fresh with parking tickets being issued etc.

May 26, 2023
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
Swift c404
Exp
I don't mind contributing £10 to the local council for an overnight stop on my way to somewhere that does have facilities for black, grey and fresh, they are obviously not destination sites. Worth £10 knowing you are parked with full approval, also knowing that it may lead to more car parks opening up and knowing you will get a decent space because many that used to park there wont pay on principle

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I don't mind contributing £10 to the local council for an overnight stop on my way to somewhere that does have facilities for black, grey and fresh, they are obviously not destination sites. Worth £10 knowing you are parked with full approval, also knowing that it may lead to more car parks opening up and knowing you will get a decent space because many that used to park there wont pay on principle

I cannot agree with the discrimination that allows cars and MHs to park for free overnigh in all their CPs but charge one for 'sleeping'

How will they decide which MHs were just parked by locals or those visiting and sleeping at friends' houses? Knock on all MH doors at 0200?

What is the penalty for an alleged breach? Fixed penalty notice, issued at 0800 when the traffic warden comes on duty?

Some legislators do not think through the effects and enforcement.

Last edited:

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
2 of us vans, stayed on the marine (floral hall) car park a few weeks ago in Southport, I thinks it's only 8.00 24 hours.
Lovely spot next to marine lake with the swans, easy access to town or beach walks.
Had a table for 4 in the bistro restaurant at the grand, that was lovely, few wines, couple hundred quid spent in town at night then a whizz to morrisons for shopping 35.00 diesel top up 50.00 and breakfast in the van.

Councils need to think more about this.
edit, just looked it up and its a fiver, it was pay by APP too, dead easy

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Hi Chris,
Every stop would benefit the local area in one way or another from shopping in the local stores through to eating in restaurants and cafes.

As you know, Fresh is used by surfers, walkers etc. An aire would be great there and there is space on the headland but it would have to be regulated ie. Vans would have to have toilets on board.

Anything is better than the current situation at Fresh with parking tickets being issued etc.
I think the answer to a lot of these things is a system like NZ has; to stop in a location without toilet facilities the Motorhome has to have a self- contained sticker that is issued and regulated by the NZMCA New Zealand Motor Caravan Association. If it doesnt have one they are fined heavily.

Full NZMCA members can go a step further and have there membership number on display, this allows them to stop in additional member only locations but makes them accounable for their behaviour.

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
For an encouraging effort by the local Pembrokeshire council I find it depressing that there are funsters too mean to fork out £10 for an overnight stop. Its no more than you would have to pay for parking for that amount of time and if it works out to their advantage they might see the benefit of putting in a borne for fresh water, great water and a loo dump. Well done Wales lets hope some others follow their example and well done Jim for spotting their initiative and writing to praise them for it!

We went last year and enjoyed Pembrokeshire and afterwards the Brecon Beacons!

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
For an encouraging effort by the local Pembrokeshire council I find it depressing that there are funsters too mean to fork out £10 for an overnight stop. Its no more than you would have to pay for parking for that amount of time and if it works out to their advantage they might see the benefit of putting in a borne for fresh water, great water and a loo dump. Well done Wales lets hope some others follow their example and well done Jim for spotting their initiative and writing to praise them for it!

We went last year and enjoyed Pembrokeshire and afterwards the Brecon Beacons!
I can't actually remember the last time I ever paid for parking.. it had to have been in Morocco last year and that was only 2 or 3 times.
Even with a car I never paid to park it.

There's always other options ...

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
I think the answer to a lot of these things is a system like NZ has; to stop in a location without toilet facilities the Motorhome has to have a self- contained sticker that is issued and regulated by the NZMCA New Zealand Motor Caravan Association. If it doesnt have one they are fined heavily.

Full NZMCA members can go a step further and have there membership number on display, this allows them to stop in additional member only locations but makes them accounable for their behaviour.

Couldn’t agree more, nearly the perfect system.

Unfortunately there are still those that degrade areas as they travel and camp on the cheap in just cars or vans with no facilities.

I don’t think they have enough wardens to check all the vehicles.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
if it works out to their advantage they might see the benefit of putting in a borne for fresh water, great water and a loo dump.

Not to difficult to put in a black waste dump if there are toilets there.
Especially if connected to the main sewer.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Hi Chris,

My Mum is down there most mornings Toady giving campers a hard time for not clearing up their mess.

It can get bad at the little carpark on the right(as you look out to the sea)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I cannot agree with the discrimination that allows cars and MHs to park for free overnigh in all their CPs but charge one for 'sleeping'

How will they decide which MHs were just parked by locals or those visiting and sleeping at friends' houses? Knock on all MH doors at 0200?

What is the penalty for an alleged breach? Fixed penalty notice, issued at 0800 when the traffic warden comes on duty?

Some legislators do not think through the effects and enforcement.
Totally agree as I said eairler.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Do FLTs spend £10 on overnight stays? 🙄

Gordon
It depends if cars are charged £10 to overnight then I'm happy to pay £10 but if a car can park overnight for free but Motorhomes have to pay, no way just on principle.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back