Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
This really is good news, if any people get there and use the facilities, be sure to drop the council a line and thank them for the provision. It will go a long way toward making it permanent. I wrote to them yesterday thanking them on behalf of all of us.

pemp.png

Nov 19, 2017
Funster No
MH
Hobby Siesta
Exp
Since 1989
Thank you Jim. I have emailed the council myself and I hope others do likewise. It might encourage other councils if it's successful.

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
Let’s hope they police it right and folk don’t start abusing it. Well done to Pembrokeshire council for giving it a go. 👍
Just allow a couple of extra days on your trip for getting there and back at 20mph. 😂

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
Whilst I wholeheartedly approve of this provision, I wonder what consideration has resulted in the "no camping waste or recycling points being provided." I don't know the area and perhaps there are already bins for domestic waste or recycling close by? By camping waste I assume they mean black water, which could be an expensive item but what about grey waste? Is there a facility for this or are we going to see it dribbling from below vans and the general public assuming the worst?

I sincerely hope that this is a step along the road to enlightenment BUT I worry that these constraints might be a devious plot to say "we made this provision and it has been abused: nowhere else needs to suffer in the future"!

Gordon

May 8, 2021
Bedford, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph792F
Exp
Since June 2021
Whilst I wholeheartedly approve of this provision, I wonder what consideration has resulted in the "no camping waste or recycling points being provided." I don't know the area and perhaps there are already bins for domestic waste or recycling close by? By camping waste I assume they mean black water, which could be an expensive item but what about grey waste? Is there a facility for this or are we going to see it dribbling from below vans and the general public assuming the worst?

I sincerely hope that this is a step along the road to enlightenment BUT I worry that these constraints might be a devious plot to say "we made this provision and it has been abused: nowhere else needs to suffer in the future"!

Gordon
I don't see the issue to be honest, £10 a night is the same as one of our favourite spots Lytham, nothing there but bins.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
It's a parking stopover where sleeping is allowed, no booking required. That's perfect for most of us. It's not supposed to be a holiday destination. We can easily do two or three days with nothing but that. (y)

Feb 22, 2020
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E582
Exp
2011, 11.6m cruiser on Thames for 5 years before
Sounds fair. Hopefully, as above, the scheme won’t be abused; as far as I am aware it isn’t on the Continent but ….

Reactions: f6c
Feb 9, 2011
Sussex
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 120
Exp
Since 2002
Parts of Wales have been doing this in towns for years and whilst car parks in towns are not at all picturesque, it does allow you to go into town and have a few drinks without needing to walk/take a bus/taxi. A positive move.

AlunandFelicie

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2018
Funster No
MH
Burstner lyseo time
Just a little local knowledge, Manorbier is where we spent our honeymoon and we went back to celebrate twenty years😊 ,it is a great place to visit for you who don’t know the area with a great little castle for the history buffs ,a nice church overlooking the bay ,lots of rock pools ,a couple of pubs doing food and the car park is right on the beach with a pleasant stroll up to the village .
if you’re visiting Tenby or the area give it a try👍

OP
OP
Nanniemate

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
I was in Tenby yesterday sat on a bench at lunch time eating chips from paper.
Relatively mild and the rain had stopped

Wondered around town loads of independent shops had a very nice time , this is off season it will be very busy in the summer months

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 24, 2007
Funster No
This is the thin end of the wedge for those of us who live in N. Pembs, Goodwick Moor car park has always been free for all types of vehicles, & motorhomes often stop there overnight waiting for the Irish ferry. The powers that be will probably now charge everyone for parking there.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
This is the thin end of the wedge for those of us who live in N. Pembs, Goodwick Moor car park has always been free for all types of vehicles, & motorhomes often stop there overnight waiting for the Irish ferry. The powers that be will probably now charge everyone for parking there.
Yep they will .

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
I live in Pembs and not really impressed with these locations but at least they are trying……I suppose 🤔

We need to do better across Wales and invest in good aires.
Is that not impressed as a local or as poor locations form use as a motorhome.

A trial at minimum costs to see if it works, it’s now upto the motorhome community to show it deserves more investment.

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
2 of us vans, stayed on the marine (floral hall) car park a few weeks ago in Southport, I thinks it's only 8.00 24 hours.
Lovely spot next to marine lake with the swans, easy access to town or beach walks.
Had a table for 4 in the bistro restaurant at the grand, that was lovely, few wines, couple hundred quid spent in town at night then a whizz to morrisons for shopping 35.00 diesel top up 50.00 and breakfast in the van.

Councils need to think more about this.

Dec 13, 2019
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2019

Gordon
If it works and is well supported by the MH community, it could lead to more sites opening up with part of the revenue being reinvested to provide MH facilities. Fingers crossed.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
2 of us vans, stayed on the marine (floral hall) car park a few weeks ago in Southport, I thinks it's only 8.00 24 hours.
Lovely spot next to marine lake with the swans, easy access to town or beach walks.
Had a table for 4 in the bistro restaurant at the grand, that was lovely, few wines, couple hundred quid spent in town at night then a whizz to morrisons for shopping 35.00 diesel top up 50.00 and breakfast in the van.

Councils need to think more about this.
Quite like Southport, do you know if Pleasureland still offering stopovers?

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
If it works and is well supported by the MH community, it could lead to more sites opening up with part of the revenue being reinvested to provide MH facilities. Fingers crossed.
Im all for it, would even consider going back to Wales I just hope the 'park sideways and put the washing out mob' dont spoil it.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back