Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Our aftermarket radio stays on for an hour before switching itself off but if I keep it powered-up for a few hours then I find that it zaps the cab battery power a bit.

Nice work John (y)

OP
OP
jezport
Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
My requirements were more complicated. My head unit is going to be part of a full media system. Running rear speakers and a sub. I also connect my Amazon fire stick to it for TV and have kodi running on the fire stick. I also wanted front usb power points that ran off the habitation battery.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Yes Mel I read your post but with our Blaupunkt Our red lead wasn’t ignition feed, on ours It was the blue lead. It’s all now working the same as yours.

John.
Serves you right for buying a 'posh' Globecar with a different wiring set up! :D2;)

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
@Neckender

Hi John, I was wondering if you've gone down the 3 x hab battery route like me.

I've been given it some thought on how to charge my standalone Varta 95Ah AGM and I've decided to put a switch and a fuse in the regulator +ve output line so that it diverts the solar charge @ 14.8v to the AGM when required.

My Yuasa L36-EFBs can be rapid charged at 14.8v (according to Yuasa), which means that I don't ever need to change the output voltage setting on the Reg.

I intend to route the wires through the lower near-side metal structure of the van and then through the toilet and onward to the rear bed where the AGM is located.

Are you doing something similiar to me as I think it will resolve the issue of how to charge the standalone battery without too much faff.

Regards,

Andrew

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
I’ve gone a simpler route Andrew I’m just charging 1 of my AGMs up and carrying it in the rear and using it for my CPAP machine, if we are camping longer than a few days without hook up I’ll take my ( must say this very quietly) Genny.

John.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I’ve gone a simpler route Andrew I’m just charging 1 of my AGMs up and carrying it in the rear and using it for my CPAP machine, if we are camping longer than a few days without hook up I’ll take my ( must say this very quietly) Genny.

John.
Did you say GENNY John????

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp

John.

You've finally gone to the dark side then :D:D

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
We had the Avtex one & changed to Necvox aerial as smaller to store & when tried it picked up as many stations as the Avtex so quite impressed so far (y)
a bit of a necrobump.
I ordered the Necvox aeriel at the weekend off amazon - £38. in the urban environment (i.e. at the house :) ) , it seems to work as well if not better than the Avtex STH3000 aeriel. The magnetic pad is definately much better than the avtex sucker than keeps falling off - and i dind't have to faff with aeriel horixontal or vertical polarisation or direction finding the transmitter.
time will tell how it performs in the wild

the cableis really long - I wouldn't mind shortening it but a bit nervous about ballsing it up.

G

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
a bit of a necrobump.
I ordered the Necvox aeriel at the weekend off amazon - £38. in the urban environment (i.e. at the house :) ) , it seems to work as well if not better than the Avtex STH3000 aeriel. The magnetic pad is definately much better than the avtex sucker than keeps falling off - and i dind't have to faff with aeriel horixontal or vertical polarisation or direction finding the transmitter.
time will tell how it performs in the wild

the cableis really long - I wouldn't mind shortening it but a bit nervous about ballsing it up.

G
I’ve shortened mine Gerry but it states as warranty is void if shortened.

John.

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
You've finally gone to the dark side then :D:D

I’ve been on the dark side for a couple of years I bought a Hyundai 2000sei remote start generator but I’ve only used it once and that was on my last van not the Globecar.

John.

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
I’ve shortened mine Gerry but it states as warranty is void if shortened.

John.
is it simply a coaxial cable terminated in a Sat cable end?
If that is the case i should be able to simply cyt the cable, strip the sheilding and terminate with a standard screw on male coaxial aeiral end.
no?

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
Hi Andrew check your weight plate vin against your V5 as John got 1 number wrong on mine he put a C instead of a 6 and DVLA never noticed the mistake, I only recently noticed it but I’ve done nothing about it as I’ll plead ignorance.

John.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Just recived my new 4.5T weight plate today from John Ruffles. I'll write a quick review in the next few days but in a nutshell I saved £180 for a 7-day turnaround.

A big thank you to Mel and John for recommending JR Consultancy.(y)(y)(y)
@Minxy Girl @Neckender

Look forward to reading this Andrew as I'm contemplating doing ours.

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Hi Andrew check your weight plate vin against your V5 as John got 1 number wrong on mine he put a C instead of a 6 and DVLA never noticed the mistake, I only recently noticed it but I’ve done nothing about it as I’ll plead ignorance.

John.

Thanks John, will do sir (y)

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Look forward to reading this Andrew as I'm contemplating doing ours.

I sent the full details (no photos or images, just written info) on the 12th Feb and I got the plates today.

I've heard that SV Tech do it quicker but why bother when you can save 180-quid. You can buy a house for that money up our way :D:D

David60

Free Member
Dec 28, 2018
Funster No
MH
In the market to buy
Exp
I'm totally inexperienced!
Good afternoon Learned Funsters

I’m unsure of the etiquette of landing oneself upon a thread full of worthy contributions by asking a question. If I transgress or trespass upon accepted practice, please forgive me on at least three counts 1) I am an Irishman by birth 2) I am new to all this and 3) I am willing to admit my guilt and as far as I know, I have no previous!

My question is that of fitting Reversing Cameras to Globecars. …or more specifically, the fitting of monitors for reversing cameras as the camera itself is not an issue in my view (sorry, couldn’t avoid the pun).

The hypothesis and conundrum….

1. · The van has a stub for fitting but no rear-view mirror.
  2. · The privacy blinds as fitted to the internal windscreen need to close without impediment.
  3. · The stereo uses the lower one (of the two available) DIN slots and is not a screen type of head unit.
  4. · One wishes to avoid an electronics shrubbery of things stuck to the top of the dashboard (Sat Nav, Tyre Pressure monitor, Map Holder, Pen holder, Sweety Jar holder etc etc …okay some aren’t that electronic I grant you).
  5. · One wishes to retain use of the iPad/Tablet pop up thingummy jig.

So what type of monitor should be used for the reversing camera and how/where should it be affixed to the dashboard area?

Please might those who have navigated this path before with their Globecar, share their solution (Pics would be extra yummy). Thanks so much

Best for now

D

Mar 29, 2018
Scottish Highlands
Funster No
MH
PVC

I’m unsure of the etiquette of landing oneself upon a thread full of worthy contributions by asking a question. If I transgress or trespass upon accepted practice, please forgive me on at least three counts 1) I am an Irishman by birth 2) I am new to all this and 3) I am willing to admit my guilt and as far as I know, I have no previous!

My question is that of fitting Reversing Cameras to Globecars. …or more specifically, the fitting of monitors for reversing cameras as the camera itself is not an issue in my view (sorry, couldn’t avoid the pun).

2. · The privacy blinds as fitted to the internal windscreen need to close without impediment.
  3. · The stereo uses the lower one (of the two available) DIN slots and is not a screen type of head unit.
  4. · One wishes to avoid an electronics shrubbery of things stuck to the top of the dashboard (Sat Nav, Tyre Pressure monitor, Map Holder, Pen holder, Sweety Jar holder etc etc …okay some aren’t that electronic I grant you).

So what type of monitor should be used for the reversing camera and how/where should it be affixed to the dashboard area?

Please might those who have navigated this path before with their Globecar, share their solution (Pics would be extra yummy). Thanks so much

Best for now

D

David,
I have been down this same road over the past 10 months but perhaps without your red lines. I have considered sat navs, reversing cameras, and such. In the end, I have gone with a busy windscreen/dashboard... although not in @Blue Knight 's league :D.

I also wanted to be able to close the Remis blinds so nothing stuck to the window... I gave up. I felt that unless I was willing to spend significant amount of cash, I couldn't achieve a clean window and/or dash. To be honest, removing the dashcam and sat nav are not a big deal.

Although my Campscout has been prewired for a reversing camera, I have gone with a wireless camera which feeds into my sat nav. I already had both so it didn't cost me any more. However, i have now decided to add another sat nav so that I can have both a camera and sat nav at the same time.

The current plan (it may change by tomorrow ;)) is to mount the camera "monitor" on or over the rear view mirror - which I purchased and added to stub on window.
The new sat nav will sit on the bottom of the windscreen or on the dash. Oh, and there's a dashcam up high and a tyre pal on the dash as well.

Van is a mess right now so no pics but I am based just outside Inverness so you are welcome to stop by for a visit if you want to chat Globecar.l

Good luck and welcome to the Globecar club :D
Sue

David60

Free Member
Dec 28, 2018
Funster No
MH
In the market to buy
Exp
David,
I have been down this same road over the past 10 months but perhaps without your red lines. I have considered sat navs, reversing cameras, and such. In the end, I have gone with a busy windscreen/dashboard... although not in @Blue Knight 's league :D.

I also wanted to be able to close the Remis blinds so nothing stuck to the window... I gave up. I felt that unless I was willing to spend significant amount of cash, I couldn't achieve a clean window and/or dash. To be honest, removing the dashcam and sat nav are not a big deal.

Although my Campscout has been prewired for a reversing camera, I have gone with a wireless camera which feeds into my sat nav. I already had both so it didn't cost me any more. However, i have now decided to add another sat nav so that I can have both a camera and sat nav at the same time.

The current plan (it may change by tomorrow ;)) is to mount the camera "monitor" on or over the rear view mirror - which I purchased and added to stub on window.
The new sat nav will sit on the bottom of the windscreen or on the dash. Oh, and there's a dashcam up high and a tyre pal on the dash as well.

Van is a mess right now so no pics but I am based just outside Inverness so you are welcome to stop by for a visit if you want to chat Globecar.l

Good luck and welcome to the Globecar club :D
Sue
Hello again Sue
Goodness, that's a helpful and generous reply; thank you very much indeed! You've both added to my options and confirmed some of my concerns :)
And yes, @Blue Knight has been incredibly helpful too on this topic and has PM'd me pics of his inventiveness and engineering skills. I fear I'm in a very much lower grade of capability.
I love the sound of your wireless setup!! (y) Please do tell more if you can. Does the camera integrate with the upper brake light and is the monitor capable of being an "over the mirror" type (I think I'll be buying an after-market mirror if so). Any further info on wireless options, including your experience of their reliability, would be great; I didn't know such options were available.
I'm not quite a "Globie" yet but should be within the month! My van is, I'm told, not pre-wired fro a reversing camera so my attraction to wireless speaks for itself. I wish to procure something so my electrical ally can fit it the day I bring my van home!:eek: (slightly terrifying yet exciting too).
I am based up on the Dornoch Firth/Kyle f Sutherland area so it would be great to link when next I'm Inverness way if convenient. I'm not sure I know how to initiate PMs but please do PM me Sue and I'll share email and numbers.
I must say, the very best thing I've done to accelerate my route to van ownership is to have joined this Forum. You and fellow Funsters have been extraordinarily generous to share hard won experience. Not only that; the good humour and camaraderie that permeates these pages has been such encouragement during times when hair of a silvery hue has been torn out by frustration and impediment elsewhere. It is appreciated more than I can say. Thank you so much. You're a wee bunch of stars! :cartoon:
Best just now
David

Mar 29, 2018
Scottish Highlands
Funster No
MH
PVC
David,
I've sent you a PM. If I've done it correctly, you should see a 1 next the Inbox in the top right of this screen. If you click on Inbox, you should be able to reply to my msg.
Sue

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
@David60 sorry I can’t help you with the monitor issue as I had my dealer fit a Blaupunkt media centre which is a DVD player, sat nav, reverse camera monitor and dab radio.
The dealer also fitted the revers camera which started to rust within a matter of months, so I changed it for a rear brake light camera combined.

On my last motorhome I fitted a rear view mirror monitor and on my previous vans I fitted dash mounted monitors.

Our Campscout came prewired with reverse camera lead.

John.

David60

Free Member
Dec 28, 2018
Funster No
MH
In the market to buy
Exp
David,
I've sent you a PM. If I've done it correctly, you should see a 1 next the Inbox in the top right of this screen. If you click on Inbox, you should be able to reply to my msg.
Sue
Thanks Sue
Replied just now
:)
D

David60

Free Member
Dec 28, 2018
Funster No
MH
In the market to buy
Exp
@David60 sorry I can’t help you with the monitor issue as I had my dealer fit a Blaupunkt media centre which is a DVD player, sat nav, reverse camera monitor and dab radio.
The dealer also fitted the revers camera which started to rust within a matter of months, so I changed it for a rear brake light camera combined.

On my last motorhome I fitted a rear view mirror monitor and on my previous vans I fitted dash mounted monitors.

Our Campscout came prewired with reverse camera lead.

John.
Hi John
Really kind of you to engage with my query. Thank you Sir.

It sounds to me (Arrgggh! another lousy pun), that you indeed have the Gucci system. In time, and when budget allows given other priorities, I'd be surprised if I don't follow your lead. I think that is teh most efficient use of Dashboard real estate and keeps everything very neat. Might you share which Blaupunkt model number you have and if you are happy with it (now that you're sorted your camera issues)?

As I've mentioned before, I'm super-impressed by the Forum's generous and helpful knowledge sharing culture. I hope some day that I am able to repay such assistance.
Best
David

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
Hi David I have the Blaupunkt New York 830/835 fitted in my van it uses the double din opening on the dash.

John.

David60

Free Member
Dec 28, 2018
Funster No
MH
In the market to buy
Exp
Hi David I have the Blaupunkt New York 830/835 fitted in my van it uses the double din opening on the dash.

John.
Thanks John
As I say, I like the elegant resolution you have.
Hmmm, you have me thinking again along the twin DIN route. Possibly using the elevated brake light mount for camera and the well-reviewed Kenwood DMX7017DABS as a head unit/monitor. I'd like to see one in the flesh first.

Does anyone know if there is a twin camera version of the current design rear brake light replacement? I haven't been able to find one but I'm attracted to a camera facing rear traffic and another facing at a more downward angle fro reversing purposes.

Enjoy your Friday folks
Best
D

Mar 29, 2018
Scottish Highlands
Funster No
MH
PVC
Thanks John
As I say, I like the elegant resolution you have.
Hmmm, you have me thinking again along the twin DIN route. Possibly using the elevated brake light mount for camera and the well-reviewed Kenwood DMX7017DABS as a head unit/monitor. I'd like to see one in the flesh first.

Does anyone know if there is a twin camera version of the current design rear brake light replacement? I haven't been able to find one but I'm attracted to a camera facing rear traffic and another facing at a more downward angle fro reversing purposes.

Enjoy your Friday folks
Best
D

Dometic does something called Perfectview RVS536 which has the option of the twin cameras on the high brake light. Someone on here had one installed on their Globecar by a german dealer prior to import, but I can't recall who it was.

David60

Free Member
Dec 28, 2018
Funster No
MH
In the market to buy
Exp
You're rapidly heading towards the top of my Cristmas card list John
Many thanks Sir; really helpful. (y)
Best
D

OP
OP
jezport
Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008

Best for now

D
You can get one that fits on the centre mirror stub. I have one fitted. Bought from Autosound Bradford

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Dometic does something called Perfectview RVS536 which has the option of the twin cameras on the high brake light. Someone on here had one installed on their Globecar by a german dealer prior to import, but I can't recall who it was.
That's us :) with Dometic Cam 35 Twin - more info. here https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/foru...ding-accessories-discount-codes.184590/page-2 with photos.
It looks neat & works well with our Kenwood Multimedia DAB System DDX4018DAB (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back