Rally Chat Gathering at the Caravan Salon, Düsseldorf. 29 August 2025 (19 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Sep 19, 2013
Cabbunk Central
Funster No
MH
Carado T459
Exp
Not long enough!
How about a group gathering at Düsseldorf next year? We could all meet at a nearby service station and travel as a group to the show to get parked together. While I expect that during the day, most will want to explore the show on their own. Funsters could gather in their area in the evenings for beer and BBQ's etc making it a memorable show.

Who'd be up for it?
Yes. The campground is as good if not better than the exhibition. SO many amazing vans from all over the world. Good currywurst as well.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
It might be bit nose to tail parking but at least you get a decent amount of space outside between vans (unless you are a UK van)

IMG_2849.jpeg

Looking at this which is only a small part of a double row of Morelo's makes me think that you may be able to reserve spaces if you know who to talk to, or maybe arriving at the very start is the way to go :unsure:

IMG_2841.jpeg

We were OK for room but the trees were not good for solar, the only other problem is this is the year Morelo turned me upside down till enough loose change fell out for a deposit :LOL:

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Thought he was Austrian 😂
Many moons ago we had a family meal in an Austrian Restaurant.
My brother was at one end of the table, and my father at the other end.

My brother, who as he an occasional compiere is not known for talking quietly, but on this occasion he did, prompting my father to say 'can you talk up a bit', which my brother appeared not to hear, so my father said in a loud voice heard across the restaurant 'LOUDER'

Sitting right behind my Dad was Nicki Lauder.

(I think only my brother and Nicki got the joke, my Dad was mortified when he realised)

Ber090

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 12, 2012
West Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick
Exp
Since 2012
Jim, We went this year for the third time. Very different. You are only allowed 2 nights camping in the trees. If you book 3 nights as I did you are put in a field about 15 mins drive away on the provided shuttle bus. The field has no water available but dumps are there. There were many dissatisfied campers as no mention of the lack of water was made. We left a day early and wrote a strong email to the organisers. No reply received. Incidentally we found the show to have less stands than usual much quieter. The free transport has been withdrawn as well.
Cheers
Bernie

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 13, 2014
Bury St. Edmunds
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
Jim, We went this year for the third time. Very different. You are only allowed 2 nights camping in the trees. If you book 3 nights as I did you are put in a field about 15 mins drive away on the provided shuttle bus. The field has no water available but dumps are there. There were many dissatisfied campers as no mention of the lack of water was made. We left a day early and wrote a strong email to the organisers. No reply received. Incidentally we found the show to have less stands than usual much quieter. The free transport has been withdrawn as well.
Cheers
Bernie
Do you mean there’s no free shuttle buses to the show or into Düsseldorf now? Not free included😉

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
FYI:
For a meet up location outside Dusseldorf for a convoy entrance to the Exhibition site, it would appear the best motorway service station is on the Autobahn 52 to the east of the city (above Munchen Gladbach) 20 mins from the Exhibition site.

400km's/5hrs from Dover-Folkstone/Calais
230km's/3hrs from Harwich-Hull/Hoek van Holland/Rotterdam (Arrival at Hoek 08.00h and 17.15h)

Tank & Rast Cloerbrunch Sud
BAB52, Am Nordkanal 60, 47877 Willich, Germany
Lat/Long 51.236883, 6.510696
https://what3words.com/trials.usage.torched

Last edited:
Reactions: Jim
Mar 30, 2022
Banbury, Oxfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A white and grey one
Exp
Tugging since I could drive, now joining the dark side 😁😉
Definitely interested, we're thinking of going anyway, it'll be our first visit so a couple of pointers from those who have visited previously could be useful 👍

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
We got blocked in a few years ago, had to pay for an extra night, no big deal though, we just had another evening in Dusseldorf.

May 19, 2014
Keynsham, Bristol, UK
Funster No
MH
Pilote
Exp
Since 2005
FYI:
For a meet up location outside Dusseldorf for a convoy entrance to the Exhibition site, it would appear the best motorway service station is on the Autobahn 52 to the east of the city (above Munchen Gladbach) 20 mins from the Exhibition site.

400km's/5hrs from Dover-Folkstone/Calais
230km's/3hrs from Harwich-Hull/Hoek van Holland/Rotterdam (Arrival at Hoek 08.00h and 17.15h)

Tank & Rast Cloerbrunch Sud
BAB52, Am Nordkanal 60, 47877 Willich, Germany
Lat/Long 51.236883, 6.510696
https://what3words.com/trials.usage.torched
Jim,

As Brains points out, don't dismiss Harwich-Hook as an option, simply because sometimes the deals on offer make it attractive financially, as well as a sociable option for gathering in a large bar onboard to kick things off.

Dave

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Jim,

As Brains points out, don't dismiss Harwich-Hook as an option, simply because sometimes the deals on offer make it attractive financially, as well as a sociable option for gathering in a large bar onboard to kick things off.

Dave
A bit of an old chestnut as far as I'm concerned.

If you left your home in SE England at the end of the working day:
Via Harwich you can easily be in Dusseldorf in time for lunch the next day.
Via Calais the bars should still be open in Dusseldorf by the time you arrive in the evening.

We live in SE London. We can be in Kent in under 10 minutes, Dover/Folkestone are just over an hour away.
We NEVER use Dover-Folkestone/Calais for any trip except Paris, north west France and maybe southern Belgium.

For Germany (And all points east, Italy, etc) we always use Harwich/Hoek of Holland.
We always try to take the night boat, which means a pootle in the evening to Harwich, load up at 9pm in bed for departure at 10.30, sleep your way across and get off the ship at 8am for a late breakfast in Germany.

It's cheaper, if the cost of fuel, overnight camping etc are all included.
It's faster, if you count door to door time
You have to sleep somewhere;
Which do you prefer? An Site or Aire in Kent or Calais area or a nice ships cabin with ensuite etc. (And bar and restaurant)
It's a considerably shorter road distance.
It's a LOT less hassle, as only one ship departs at a time, so they can check all the passports etc without the need to mess you around like Dover.
And of course the quality of the ship is a lot better than a cross channel ferry!

Stena of course know all the above, and therefore price their fares accordingly!
It may 'appear' to be the more expensive option, but not when you add it all up

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back