Garages. Why so few from British Motorhome builders? (2 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
We have an end lounge layout with very limited underseat storage due to water heater etc
I’ve often wondered why no manufacturer has come up with a raised rear lounge area giving much more storage in underseat area with an across the rear locker accessible from both sides or rear lift up hatch / door
Raising the seating area would give much better views out of the windows, depending where you pitch up,
Yes the roof line would need raising over the seating area but no different to raising the roof at the front on an overcab style Moho

Our 1996 Kontiki 640 was like that. Just finally changed after 16 years a few weeks ago. It was brilliant but literally on its last legs mechanically. The garage was limited but did go right across the width of the van.

I had been trying to find a replacement (and I'm not joking) on and off for over a decade. We wanted to keep the rear lounge front dinette style but needed enough payload for the scooter and rack. An almost impossible task. I narrowed it down to a Bailey 760se and a swift Esprit 496. We finally got to see the Bailey in the flesh earlier this year and no garage! Deal breaker but I had my doubts about it anyway. The Esprit 496 is rare but I luckily managed to get one. On a shake down tour in it right now. It's garage is ok. Again all the way through and plenty of storage inside but only one garage door as it's deeper on one side than the other. All a compromise I guess. It takes four chairs, bike rack stuff, water carriers, buckets and hoses etc so its working for us so far but why some rear lounge models have nothing is beyond me. Where do you put all that stuff?

Apr 24, 2021
Sleaford, UK
Funster No
MH
Low profile coachbui
Exp
Since 2019
And Morelo Concorde etc, putting a rear longe on rear wheel drive IVECO chassis gives a lot more storage and even a small garage for a push bike.
Unfortunately Morelo, Frankie, et al, although very desirable are just above what I realistically would wish to invest in

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back