Garages. Why so few from British Motorhome builders? (4 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
We would never ever ever ever even consider a van without a garage. Jim is absolutely right that its got potential to cause all sots of problems if its over loaded. However, we do not take any more stuff than when we had van without a garage. Its just that now all that stuff is stored out of the way so that if I get up in the night I don't break my neck tripping over a camping chair or get chain oil on my legs and the upholstery

Our van has a rear island bed. Its about a foot higher than it would normally be. Our heaviest items are the Weber and the awning. When travelling I put them amidships and as soon as we stop they go back into the garage.

Being a cyclist I am a "weight weenie" (I am not going to mention water tanks) and just because something is in the garage doesnt mean it can be forgotten

Last year we were along side a couple from the UK. The had just bought a lovely bessacarr 7.5m van. I was getting our gear out of the garage and he asked me if he could have a look at our van. Man he was gutted. He was obsessed with the garage. They had been travelling for 6 weeks. The only locker they had was big enough to fit a disposible bbq! They had a lovely end lounge though. Everything is a compromise.

Apr 7, 2014
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLI 580
Exp
Since 2002
We used to have garage envy but loved our van. However, advancing years and getting our e-bikes onto a high bike rack, not to mention the security, convinced us it was time to scratch the envy. So nice big garage now, bikes easy to get in and out and a higher payload to boot. Less room inside the van though and high rear beds to climb into. As others have said, everything is a compromise but for us this is now a better compromise.

Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
I believe that all vehicles imported in NZ and possibly Australia as well have to be RHD and door on the proper side ie left.
Its a lot easier to import them if they comply and this applies especially to new imports. However if you are prepared to deal with the admin you can import anything. There are different rules for immigrants who already own vehicles than for those importing for business or to save money. So if you have a motorhome and move to NZ you can import it and the rules are not as strict. However if you are a dealer its harder and if you just try to save money by buying abroad rather than from NZ then they make it very difficult.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Yes Jock...but you and me are retired Firefighters....with HUGE pensions and nothing to spend it on...😀😀😀😀🇪🇦👍🎖️🎖️
😂 😂 😂 .....as in belly laughing..... 😂😂😂

I get that too. After all you can't take it with you.
He's taking the urine Tam.............though being 3 x ranks above me, his pension would have been HUGE right enough. :LOL: .....more belly laughing..... :LOL:

Cheers,

Jock. ;)

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
😂 😂 😂 .....as in belly laughing..... 😂😂😂

He's taking the urine Tam.............though being 3 x ranks above me, his pension would have been HUGE right enough. :LOL: .....more belly laughing..... :LOL:

Cheers,

Jock. ;)

Many firefighters did not get to enjoy any pension.

You guys are worth every penny of your pensions:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Many firefighters did not get to enjoy any pension.

You guys are worth every penny of your pensions:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:
Kind words Geoff... fortunately UK Firefighter deaths while on active duty are very remote...
However in other parts of the world not so, this is down to many factors...
But Firemen as we were called when I started my training in 1970, didn't get to draw their well earned pension for many years after retirement at 50 or 55 years old....why was this...well now we all are living longer for sure...But respiratory and heart conditions caused premature death of many young retired members...the use of Self contained Breathing Apparatus and the introduction of Health and Safety at work made vast differences..

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Kind words Geoff... fortunately UK Firefighter deaths while on active duty are very remote...
However in other parts of the world not so, this is down to many factors...
But Firemen as we were called when I started my training in 1970, didn't get to draw their well earned pension for many years after retirement at 50 or 55 years old....why was this...well now we all are living longer for sure...But respiratory and heart conditions caused premature death of many young retired members...the use of Self contained Breathing Apparatus and the introduction of Health and Safety at work made vast differences..
Always had more respect for firefighters than i have the police. They don't get to stand by and wait till the danger has passed before going to work ... or choosing to rescue a kitten over entering an inferno. I too agree .you deserve the pension

Now that I've buttered you up uncle martin .... if you don't manage to spend it all on a new van . You could adopt a scotsman and ill help you out 🤣🤣🤣🤣

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Always had more respect for firefighters than i have the police. They don't get to stand by and wait till the danger has passed before going to work ... or choosing to rescue a kitten over entering an inferno. I too agree .you deserve the pension

Now that I've buttered you up uncle martin .... if you don't manage to spend it all on a new van . You could adopt a scotsman and ill help you out 🤣🤣🤣🤣
Any Scotsman in mind...?

Dec 19, 2020
The salty bit of Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2017
My previous van, a Marquis Majestic (Accordo) 125 had a modest sized garage although they don't make that model anymore. Could just get 2 folding e-bikes in. Decent sized garage in the Carthago at 6.4M. What on earth do UK builders do with a 7.5m van that doesn't have a garage. Obviously wasting space.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
My previous van, a Marquis Majestic (Accordo) 125 had a modest sized garage although they don't make that model anymore. Could just get 2 folding e-bikes in. Decent sized garage in the Carthago at 6.4M. What on earth do UK builders do with a 7.5m van that doesn't have a garage. Obviously wasting space.
Many they fit either a French style bed or a u shaped lounge . I think the biggest problem with UK vans is they don't have a double floor , if they did then even a u shaped lounge model would have shed loads of storage . The euromobil I had last year had a u shape lounge at the back and a large dinette area with a sofa opposite at the front but it had a crazy amount of storage under those areas with lockers to access it from outside . Could carry way more stuff than you would carry in a garage . Garages are handy if you want to carry bikes or a scooter/motorbike in them . But if its just to carry tables chairs etc then I think I'd opt for a lower bed or a larger lounge with storage under it.

But double floors make that much more useful

May 29, 2014
southampton
Funster No
MH
A frame
Exp
since 1985
There not really garages but more like storage lockers.
We have a rear longue (in the motorhome) and manage quite well.We don't carry alot of tutt around just take what we need.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
There not really garages but more like storage lockers.
We have a rear longue (in the motorhome) and manage quite well.We don't carry alot of tutt around just take what we need.
Yes but they're very big storage lockers on the euramobil you had complete rear floor storage the full width and each side was 80cm high .

May 29, 2014
southampton
Funster No
MH
A frame
Exp
since 1985
Yes but they're very big storage lockers on the euramobil you had complete rear floor storage the full width and each side was 80cm high .
My smallest car is 1.3m wide 1.5m tall 2.2 long

20240722_205844.jpg

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
My smallest car is 1.3m wide 1.5m tall 2.2 long

View attachment 928827
You wouldn't get a car in any motorhome garage then unless you buy a toy mover or a morelo.

But it's not only cars that go in garages. OK so they're more the size of a shed but I doubt manufacturers would sell many if they used that wording.

P.s that's more of a go kart / buggy than a car if we're going to be pedantic 😉

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2012
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
Just had a quick look at Bailey and Auto trail and they both have models with garages in. Not seen any A classes though.

My impression of of British motorhomes generally from wandering though a few at NEC shows they feel very caravan like so perhaps have been slow in adapting to more modern designs as found in European vans.
Autotrail do an ACLASS and a fairy large garage

Jul 7, 2021
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet.
Sadly, another reason we do not include ‘garages’ in UK vans is weight. Once over 3.5 tons, a different licence is required. A very expensive test if you have to pay for it. So heavier vans are more often driven by older people with grandfathers rights.
When/if heavy battery powered vehicles are developed, perhaps the weight limit may go up to a more practical 4tons and designs change accordingly.
Considering what people spend on a van I think paying for the test is a bargain and invaluable for people who have never driven anything bigger then their cars, great to get some instruction driving a big vehicle, I would like to see it made compulsory for every holder of a b licence to take 3 lessons at a HGV driving school, in that way they would have a better understanding of what not to do around heavier and larger vehicles

Feb 22, 2024
Funster No
MH
Just looking
If it works why change it?

I wouldn't change a van just because I had the money to do it, but I know many people do. If the layout works and it's not costing a fortune to maintain etc then why.
Because they can! 😁
Oh, to be in that situation whereby money isn't an issue 😂

Apr 24, 2021
Sleaford, UK
Funster No
MH
Low profile coachbui
Exp
Since 2019
We have an end lounge layout with very limited underseat storage due to water heater etc
I’ve often wondered why no manufacturer has come up with a raised rear lounge area giving much more storage in underseat area with an across the rear locker accessible from both sides or rear lift up hatch / door
Raising the seating area would give much better views out of the windows, depending where you pitch up,
Yes the roof line would need raising over the seating area but no different to raising the roof at the front on an overcab style Moho

Dec 20, 2018
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2004
We have an end lounge layout with very limited underseat storage due to water heater etc
I’ve often wondered why no manufacturer has come up with a raised rear lounge area giving much more storage in underseat area with an across the rear locker accessible from both sides or rear lift up hatch / door
Raising the seating area would give much better views out of the windows, depending where you pitch up,
Yes the roof line would need raising over the seating area but no different to raising the roof at the front on an overcab style Moho
Frankia do!

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
Frankia do! All there ’Plus’ models have this layout.

Frankia do!
You beat me to it!

Ian

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back