Garages. Why so few from British Motorhome builders? (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
I am sitting on a campsite in Spain, full of motorhomes from all over Europe. As far as I can see, they all have garages. When I asked one UK builder they told me they do not include ‘garages’ in their range. Searching UK sales there are very few available at all.
Without a garage I would be stuck with a sun-bed, 2chairs, 2 beach chairs, a spare wheel, a drying rack, sun brolly, 2 bikes, a ground mat, ramps, two tables and a long list of necessities too long to list, so why are garages considered a luxury or not considered at all?

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
3 years 30,000 miles UK and Europe.. Campsites and off Grid.
Just had a quick look at Bailey and Auto trail and they both have models with garages in. Not seen any A classes though.

My impression of of British motorhomes generally from wandering though a few at NEC shows they feel very caravan like so perhaps have been slow in adapting to more modern designs as found in European vans.

Feb 12, 2018
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 600SL
Exp
Since 2017
Most British builders seem to have a caravan mindset and think a rear u-shaped lounge, with make-up beds, together with a gas oven with 4 ring hob are what UK buyers want. Probably not that daft with the British summer weather we have seen this year, which means more time inside. Most look to me as if the converter has taken a caravan body and grafted it onto a van cab/chassis. Wonder if they sell (m)any outside the UK?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
Most British builders seem to have a caravan mindset and think a rear u-shaped lounge, with make-up beds, together with a gas oven with 4 ring hob are what UK buyers want. Probably not that daft with the British summer weather we have seen this year, which means more time inside. Most look to me as if the converter has taken a caravan body and grafted it onto a van cab/chassis. Wonder if they sell (m)any outside the UK?
The rear U shape lounge is very popular with Carthago and Frankia buyers.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Designed for large, but light, items like cycles, they have become ubiquitous. But I’ve never been a fan of the garage. Even the most organised ones are a mess. You start off packing them nice, but everything then has to be junked on top, you are forever removing this, to reach that. It always means your bed is too high, and all that weight behind the rear axle is not clever. Especially in those models when the garage is really the only locker.

These days they put a garage on even the smallest vans, meaning that the already tiny payload is reduced further by overloading rear axle weights. I much prefer a traditional proper double floor with plenty of outside lockers on both sides of the van. Weight distribution and a sense of order. (y)

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Designed for large, but light, items like cycles, they have become ubiquitous. But I’ve never been a fan of the garage. Even the most organised ones are a mess. You start off packing them nice, but everything then has to be junked on top, you are forever removing this, to reach that. It always means your bed it too high, and all that weight behind the rear axle is not clever. Especially in those models when the garage is really the only locker.

These days they put a garage on even the smallest vans, meaning that the already tiny payload is reduced further by overloading rear axle weights. I much prefer a traditional proper double floor with plenty of outside lockers on both sides of the van. Weight distribution and a sense of order. (y)
Proper double floor and a garage (y) best of both worlds Jim, yes possibly that means that the garage can be neat and tidy and used for things with wheels as it should be ;) the double floor means that the bed can be lower and still get a good garage space, some vans need more weight at the back to balance high front axle weight (ours does) I would really struggle to use a van without a garage:unsure:

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
Proper double floor and a garage (y) best of both worlds Jim, yes possibly that means that the garage can be neat and tidy and used for things with wheels as it should be ;) the double floor means that the bed can be lower and still get a good garage space, some vans need more weight at the back to balance high front axle weight (ours does) I would really struggle to use a van without a garage:unsure:
The garage was a priority for me. 😎
IMG_8254.jpeg

May 29, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line
Exp
Since 2016
Wonder if they sell (m)any outside the UK?

Very few.
We saw a LHD Belgian-registered Autotrail earlier this year (about 10ish years old looking at the shape of the overcab)....we remarked on it because I think its the first time we'd seen a UK brand built for the continental market. Think its the only one we've ever seen.

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
The garage was a priority for me. 😎View attachment 926724
The Frankia with the rear door is an excellent design, this van was a special order with a higher opening. I bought the Carthago as it has a large enough opening but is more of a challenge due to the step section that protrudes into the garage, I have to load the bike from the near side.
IMG_8128.jpeg

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Designed for large, but light, items like cycles, they have become ubiquitous. But I’ve never been a fan of the garage. Even the most organised ones are a mess. You start off packing them nice, but everything then has to be junked on top, you are forever removing this, to reach that. It always means your bed is too high, and all that weight behind the rear axle is not clever. Especially in those models when the garage is really the only locker.

....and British?

Even when I was looking for first MH I did not consider British. For markets divided by only a 22-mile channel it is surprising that the manufacturers' designs are in general so different.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
....and British?

The Brit makers have always loved the U shaped rear lounge. For good reason, If you have 3 or 4 kids, having a front dinette and a rear lounge is a perfect layout. Especially when rain confines you all to the van!

But when the kids are gone, I would not choose it. Even the best u-shaped lounges are essentially uncomfortable, sit up and beg, bench seats. To be comfortable, you need to put your feet up and use the bench seats as two sofas. I hate that. Then, very often, that lounge is the bed as well, so you have to make it up every night and sleeping on a jigsaw I never found to be comfy; and, all your useful storage holds pillows and quilts! No, for me, sans kids, the front lounge and fixed bed, as favoured by most Europeans, is IMO so much better.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I am sitting on a campsite in Spain, full of motorhomes from all over Europe. As far as I can see, they all have garages. When I asked one UK builder they told me they do not include ‘garages’ in their range. Searching UK sales there are very few available at all.
Without a garage I would be stuck with a sun-bed, 2chairs, 2 beach chairs, a spare wheel, a drying rack, sun brolly, 2 bikes, a ground mat, ramps, two tables and a long list of necessities too long to list, so why are garages considered a luxury or not considered at all?
Most have very small payload so no point having a garage.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Just had a quick look at Bailey and Auto trail and they both have models with garages in. Not seen any A classes though.

My impression of of British motorhomes generally from wandering though a few at NEC shows they feel very caravan like so perhaps have been slow in adapting to more modern designs as found in European vans.
Yes 40 years too slow

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
....and British?

Even when I was looking for first MH I did not consider British. For markets divided by only a 22-mile channel it is surprising that the manufacturers' designs are in general so different.
But their attitude to motorhoming is also different.. UK =campsites. Europe =aires, carparks, campsites
Half the British vans can't even travel with a full water tank . Be aswell carrying an aquaroll

I'd never consider buying a British built motorhome.

My parents did and all had issues. And my sister has an autocruise. It's in getting leaks fixed again

busbuddy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2018
leicestershire
Funster No
MH
swift suntor 630G
Exp
since 1994
Didnt brownhills have a batch of lhd motorhomes probably about 4 years ago, maybe swifts 🤔
Seem to recall big advertising about them

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
New Zealand and Australia is a good market for Autotrail apparently.
As an FYI, part of the reason for that is that it is relatively cheap to ship large new vehicles from Europe to the far east.
As the autoliners are mostly heading east part loaded to fully load in Japan and China for the European market.

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
When we were looking at buying our first motorhome (having had several Land Rovers and VW Camper vans).
Having decided on the basic spec (Twin beds, large garage, max 7m)

We started looking country by country.
We decided early on that it should be matching collar and cuffs where possible, so an Italian van on a Fiat, a French van on a Citroen or Peugeot, a British van on a Ford, and a German van on a Mercedes.

The Italian vans were fitted out like a yacht, beautiful, all set up for the full coffee machine, but no place for an oven, minimal heating.
The French vans were nice and airy, tended to be a bit boxy, style over function, and again most lacked decent heating.
The British vans were still built with wood frames! and designed like a caravan of 20 years ago. (And had a reputation for leaking)
The German vans, of which there was a vast range, were properly constructed, fully winterised, had all the fittings, multiple ones of our spec,
it was just a case of matching our budget.

We therefore changed our spec to be:
Twin beds, large garage, max 7m, German built, C Class!

But each to their own, otherwise there would be no point is nosing around campsites comparing makes and models!

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
When we were looking at buying our first motorhome (having had several Land Rovers and VW Camper vans).
Having decided on the basic spec (Twin beds, large garage, max 7m)

We started looking country by country.
We decided early on that it should be matching collar and cuffs where possible, so an Italian van on a Fiat, a French van on a Citroen or Peugeot, a British van on a Ford, and a German van on a Mercedes.

The Italian vans were fitted out like a yacht, beautiful, all set up for the full coffee machine, but no place for an oven, minimal heating.
The French vans were nice and airy, tended to be a bit boxy, style over function, and again most lacked decent heating.
The British vans were still built with wood frames! and designed like a caravan of 20 years ago. (And had a reputation for leaking)
The German vans, of which there was a vast range, were properly constructed, fully winterised, had all the fittings, multiple ones of our spec,
it was just a case of matching our budget.

We therefore changed our spec to be:
Twin beds, large garage, max 7m, German built, C Class!

But each to their own, otherwise there would be no point is nosing around campsites comparing makes and models!
What difference does it make if the base vehicle and coachbuilt part are from different countries I can't see any logic at all in that.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
As an FYI, part of the reason for that is that it is relatively cheap to ship large new vehicles from Europe to the far east.
As the autoliners are mostly heading east part loaded to fully load in Japan and China for the European market.
I believe that all vehicles imported in NZ and possibly Australia as well have to be RHD and door on the proper side ie left.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back