FTL + Quarantine on return (1 Viewer)

Dec 16, 2019
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
So we live in our motorhome and have been touring France for the last few months (partner is French). We have been planning to return to the UK during the start of October to tour Scotland and for a variety of other fairly important administrative reasons, we will probably leave again in Dec / Jan.

We're planning to spend a few weeks in the black forest to 'quarantine' before we run for the shuttle. If Germany falls off of the list (which is looking increasingly likely), we'll have to quarantine in the UK in our van. This brings the obvious issues of needing a fixed address & services (water & waste), not sure going to a campsite is the right way forward, don't want to ask relatives as the ones that have space should really be shielded, bit of a moral conundrum really. It's not like we've been going around licking door handles, we've been deliberately avoiding tourist hotspots / cities and sticking to the quiet country aires while maintaining S/D, so fingers crossed we should be clean.

Any other full timers quarantined in their van on a site?

Last edited:

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
If your confined to your van, then what's it matter that the relatives that have the space are shielding as you will not be coming into contact with them.
If they have an outside tap and a sewer drain cover you can lift then you can be interdependent of them.

OP
OP
olsgreen
Dec 16, 2019
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Don't really understand the problem. Being on a site and leaving it only for essentials IS being quarantined. Isn't it?

Yup, we're over thinking it. I suppose they ARE exceptional circumstances, so we can still go shopping and just put the sites address down on the paperwork.

If your confined to your van, then what's it matter that the relatives that have the space are shielding as you will not be coming into contact with them.
If they have an outside tap and a sewer drain cover you can lift then you can be interdependent of them.

👍 Thought of that, not readily accessible due to placement.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Give them GPS co-ordinates for up a Welsh mountain and show them fridge/freezer with 14 days food and garage with 4 cases if wine.

I doubt they will be near those co-ords.

Does the tracing system cross National boundaries within UK?

Geoff

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Clipgate

Free Member
Jan 1, 2014
Folkestone
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
This gives the rules and forms of compliance, I believe third party agents are tracking the returning passengers

OP
OP
olsgreen
Dec 16, 2019
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
This gives the rules and forms of compliance, I believe third party agents are tracking the returning passengers

I've heard similar, not sure I believe it. They are relying on people being honest with the declaration of the country they've been holidaying in, why would they bother tracking people or validating their location on return? But then again, I suppose the governments actions aren't always the most logical!

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
Yup, we're over thinking it. I suppose they ARE exceptional circumstances, so we can still go shopping and just put the sites address down on the paperwork.

I don't think you can go shopping even for essentials. You can do one shop on the way home once you arrive in the UK then you should ask a neighbour, family or home delivery service. You should not be shopping or going out for medication only in an emergency. Just passing on the relevant info.

OP
OP
olsgreen
Dec 16, 2019
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
they CAN confirm where you have been over the last few weeks using the software downloaded to every phone a few months back without user consent

TheBig1 That's simply NOT true. You would have to also download a CV tracking app and 'allow' it to report.

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
We have quarantined once, when we returned end of June. They certainly know where you are somehow, I have been contacted the next day. We had no reason to brake the rules and 14 days are gone very quick when you keep busy.

Sep 1, 2018
Strathaven
Funster No
MH
Pilote G741
Exp
Since 2018
We have quarantined once, when we returned end of June. They certainly know where you are somehow, I have been contacted the next day. We had no reason to brake the rules and 14 days are gone very quick when you keep busy.

how did they contact you ? , i take it was by phone ? (As others have reported) , did they specifically state where you were when they Phoned or Did they visit you ?

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
You have to be seen to be being "reasonable". If you have no fixed abode in the UK anyway. I would be surprised if the authorities are going to turn you away at the border?. (they don`t for "other" (and illegal) visitors!!). Find a site who will take you and make your one stop on the way in, after that you should be able to get a local or major store to deliver?. Are you a member of either of the clubs? approach them and ask?.

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
I don't think you can go shopping even for essentials. You can do one shop on the way home once you arrive in the UK then you should ask a neighbour, family or home delivery service. You should not be shopping or going out for medication only in an emergency. Just passing on the relevant info.
Please can you advise where it states “You can do one shop on the way home once you arrive in the UK” ?

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
how did they contact you ? , i take it was by phone ? (As others have reported) , did they specifically state where you were when they Phoned or Did they visit you ?

Yes by phone. Another tip, if you got nobody to do the shopping for you, when you place a order on line, mention you are quarantined; some make you a priority if you are in quarantine. What we did, is shopped and fuelled in Germany before we left for the border. We filled the fridge and the freezer and did not compromise anyone.

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
According to Gov. you are NOT allowed to even go shopping if you are under quarantine, you are supposed to stay in your ‘house’ and garden, not allowed shopping nor walking the dog!

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
True, but, IF you got nobody to help you with supplies, you need to eat. If medicine is needed you call 111 and you’ll get help. All is down to your forward planning and is not that bad at all. We knew we will quarantine and made appropriate preparations, stress free.

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
Please can you advise where it states “You can do one shop on the way home once you arrive in the UK” ?
I will see if I can remember, think it was the Times giving advice to those rushing back from France but didn't make it (which I know doesn't make it true) but I am sure it will be on the Gov web site. Let me know if you find it before me as I am just off for a bit of exercise.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
As no-one is now shielding knowing relatives who are vulnerable and wanting to avoid giving them the virus ought to make anyone really keen to isolate properly to avoid giving it to anyone else who is vulnerable. I'm sure most people must know someone who could accept an internet shopping delivery and leave it outside to be collected heading to a place to quarantine.

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
Had a brief look on the Gov web site and cannot see any mention of it, I will try later as I did see it somewhere. The Gov details do spell out quite specifically what you cannot and can do (only by extreme circumstances) so maybe you can't so a good call?

Rosemary1

Free Member
Jan 23, 2016
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
1 year

I believe you can’t shop at all - to protect other shoppers.

Could you stock up food and essentials in Germany. Book onto a fully served site and then either get a friend or relative to drop further supplies as need or book a home delivery explaining you are isolating?

As someone has said 14 days will go quickly

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Not allowed out to shop, and other details from Gov.com

How to self-isolate in your accommodation
You should self-isolate in one place for the full 14 days, where you can have food and other necessities delivered, and stay away from others. You must self-isolate at the address you provided on the public health passenger locator form.

This can include:

• your own home
  • staying with friends or family
  • a hotel or other temporary accommodation
You should not have visitors, including friends and family, unless they are providing:

• emergency assistance
  • care or assistance, including personal care
  • medical assistance
  • veterinary services
  • certain critical public services
You cannot go out to work or school or visit public areas. You should not go shopping. If you require help buying groceries, other shopping or picking up medication, you should ask friends or relatives or order a delivery.

In England, you must only exercise within your home or garden. You cannot leave your home to walk your dog. You will need to ask friends or relatives to help you with this.

NHS Volunteer Responders are also available if you need help collecting shopping, medication or would like a telephone ‘check-in and chat’. Call 0808 196 3646 (8am to 8pm) to arrange volunteer support. You can arrange one-off support, or schedule more regular help whilst you are self-isolating.

In England, you can only leave your accommodation in limited circumstances. These include where:

• you need urgent medical assistance (or where your doctor has advised you to get medical assistance)
  • you need access to basic necessities like food and medicines, but only in exceptional circumstances such as where you cannot arrange for these to be delivered
  • you need to access critical public services such as social services and victim support services, but only in exceptional circumstances
  • you need to go to the funeral of a family member of someone you live with
  • you need to visit a dying or critically ill family member or someone you live with
  • you need to fulfil a legal obligation such as participate in legal proceedings
  • there’s an emergency
You are not allowed to change the place where you are self-isolating except in very limited circumstances, including where:

• a legal obligation requires you to change address, such as where you are a child whose parents live separately, and you need to move between homes as part of a shared custody agreement
  • it is necessary for you to stay overnight at accommodation before travelling to the place where you will be self-isolating for the remainder of the 14 days
  • there’s an emergency
If this happens, you should provide full details of each address where you will self-isolate on the public health passenger locator form. If, in exceptional circumstances, you cannot remain where you are staying, you must update the form as soon as possible.

OP
OP
olsgreen
Dec 16, 2019
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I believe you can’t shop at all - to protect other shoppers.

Not allowed out to shop, and other details from Gov.com

Correct, unless you can't get the supplies delivered for some reason.

Could you stock up food and essentials in Germany. Book onto a fully served site and then either get a friend or relative to drop further supplies as need or book a home delivery explaining you are isolating?

That's the possible plan, however we won't need to quarantine on return from Germany as they are not on the naughty list.

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
The problem as I see it.

Many folk on here are retired.

but some have jobs, businesses or Other occupations we have to return to .

So yes, great for some. If all you have to do is: tidy the garden, clear the garage out, knitting or a jigsaw puzzle .

for me, if it was the latter. I would just stay away .

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
The problem as I see it.

Many folk on here are retired.

but some have jobs, businesses or Other occupations we have to return to .

So yes, great for some. If all you have to do is: tidy the garden, clear the garage out, knitting or a jigsaw puzzle .

for me, if it was the latter. I would just stay away .
Hopefully all those in business, need to go to work or their children need to start school at the beginning of term would have been keen to make sure they are aware as possible within this very dynamic and fluid period to avoid being caught out.

Blimey is that what one does in retirement, must give it a try as I need a new cardi!

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Hopefully all those in business, need to go to work or their children need to start school at the beginning of term would have been keen to make sure they are aware as possible within this very dynamic and fluid period to avoid being caught out.

Blimey is that what one does in retirement, must give it a try as I need a new cardi!
But many of those people were led to believe it was okay to travel to say, France.

Then told they had hours to get home.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back