Jane And Rog

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
A few years
Oh blimey you're mere youngsters 🤣. Sort of expected that as you're still working.

Looking forward to tomorrow's report 👍
One of the few good things about this kind of social media (the good kind) is that you get to make virtual friends with people based on what they write and how they react, not how they look (old, young, you can fill in the rest). I think it’s a real benefit to be weighed against the problems it can also bring.

Likes collected
Funster No
One of the few good things about this kind of social media (the good kind) is that you get to make virtual friends with people based on what they write and how they react, not how they look (old, young, you can fill in the rest). I think it’s a real benefit to be weighed against the problems it can also bring.
Couldn’t agree more, although for the record can I add I am very young and look good.

OP
OP
Peavy
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Day 4.
As I said, a plan was scheduled for today.
We drove to Quinta do monte Travesso, a Cellar and vineyard in the the protected geographical origin of the Douro Wine*
1000014169.jpg

But, first things first.
On arriving there we had some pasta (industrial made) with home made (van made?) tomato sauce.
1000014145.jpg

1000014146.jpg

The place was stunning.
We had booked a classic wine tasting (25€ for two people).
We spent the night in their designated area for motorhomes (free of charge with EHU and toilet facilities, including shower, but we use always the van, so we didn't bother with none of that).
The wine tasting was great and included a tour in their facilities, where they explained the whole process in creating all the kinds of wine they produce.
1000014152.jpg

1000014148.jpg

We tasted white, rose, red and, as an extra, we had also the premium RESERVA red wine.
We also had bread with oil from their production, very nice oil.
Wine helped to make more fluid our English with the Canadian couple joining us in the taste.
Again, we had a quiet night, the place was just for the two of us and the experience was perfect🍷🍇
1000014141.jpg

We walked within the vineyards in the evening, enjoying a nice fresh temperature.
Absolutely recommended experience if you ever get around there.
You just need to book a tasting in their website.
A day to remember.

* I don't know an English translation for "Denominación de origen", maybe Martin jumar or Judith jumartoo or Barriesimpson would help with that?

Tomorrow Porto awaits.
Rainy Porto, it seems.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Giottiline Toscan 74
Exp
* I don't know an English translation for "Denominación de origen", maybe Martin jumar or Judith jumartoo or Barriesimpson would help with that?

Tomorrow Porto awaits.
Rainy Porto, it seems.
I would say 'Guarantee of Origin', however I don't believe such a thing exists in the wine business in England. I could well be wrong.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
ADRIA Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2012
How good is that. Fantastic place to visit, I will one day. I think the English version would be almost a revers, such as Protected Designated Origin meaning something that is protected by its location like I believe a Cornish Pasty may be or cheeses such as Wensleydale

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
That vineyard looks beautiful, such lovely autumnal colours.

I'm getting itchy feet to get back out on a trip, but we're trapped waiting for companies to deliver.

Enjoy Porto and I hope it doesn't rain too much.

(I haven't answered the question as I think it's already been answered correctly.)

OP
OP
Peavy
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Days 5 and 6.
Oporto is a city we have visited before, but it needed to be included in our 1st incursion to Portugal with the van (south of the country, will be left for a future quest).
Our achievement to tis trip has been reached: from coast to coast (from our Mediterranean sea, to the Atlantic).
1000014231.jpg

So we reached the beach, and it was both rany and sunny, like the whole Porto staying.
For the first time, we saw the rainbow in the beach (maybe in UK is more frequent?)
1000014208.jpg
After a careful search, we decided to stay at Salgueiros Camping. It's very old facilities are crying out for an upgrade, but personnel were helpful and it did quite ok the job.
We used Uber to move to the city and back, wich was really easy to use (unfortunately for us, Uber is not as common in Spain as in Portugal).
1000014173.jpg

If you don't know Porto, it is a beautiful town wich deserves a visit for it's beauty, it's story, it's gastronomy, or it's culture.
Not going to explain or post here the typical pictures of what the city offers.
Just a few snippets of our staying, like a picture of a yummy Pastéis de Nata (PdN as per Jane And Rog ) or a random church with a mystical sunlight effect.
1000014213.jpg

1000014209.jpg

The highlights, are worth to discover.
Porto is a stunning vibrant city.

One of the goals was also to attend a Fado event. I discovered Fado a few years ago and I loved it.
I'm a musician and I love playing guitar.
I love flamenco guitar, but I'm not really interested in the flamenco folk style as a whole (I don't know...), but Fado is different (as I chatted about with pyro in the morning thread once).
I just cannot explain how a Fado live performance it's just goosebumps for us, (luckily Mrs Peavy has the same feelings too). So we had two nights of traditional Fado in two different venues, both very intimate and so close to the artists.
It was just perfect.
1000014217.jpg

1000014191.jpg

We truly have to recover after these high intense feelings...

Next day is going to be the typical laundry / shopping boring day, so we'll skip day 7 and let's hope day 8 will be more interesting.

Jane And Rog

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
A few years
Also, with the fado, can you understand the words? I get the feeling it must make all the difference. I find the sound haunting but I have no idea what the singer is saying.

OP
OP
Peavy
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
“Just a few snippets of our staying, like a picture of a yummy Pastéis de Nata (PdN as per Jane And Rog ) or a random church with a mystical sunlight effect.”

Now we need the full Rog-style rating! Pastry? Custard? Nice caramelisation on top? 😋
It would be in the top of the Rog-scale for sure 😀

OP
OP
Peavy
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Also, with the fado, can you understand the words? I get the feeling it must make all the difference. I find the sound haunting but I have no idea what the singer is saying.
That's a very good point and I agree with you. Luckily for us, we can understand enough to know what are the lyrics about which enhances the experience.
The tempo and melodies in the song, along with the gestures, expression and tone of the fadista (woman or man), also help to understand whether it is a sad or uplifting song.
Seeing it live is beyond words could describe.
Without disparaging the other version, I do prefer the sad Fado sung by a woman.

Last edited:

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
That's a very good point and I agree with you. Luckily for us, we can understand enough to know what are the lyrics about which enhances the experience.
The tempo and melodies in the song, along with the gestures, expression and tone of the fadista (woman or man), also help to understand whether it is a sad or uplifting song.
Seeing it live is beyond words could describe.
Without disparaging the other version, I do prefer the sad Fado sung by a woman.
We were in Tomar over 20 years ago to compete in a Running event...we we're invited to attend a FADO concert....but declined, because we needed to be fresh for the next days race....Did we miss something, perhaps we did...
Now talking about Pastel be Nata...a one time favourite of ours....In Lisbon, with a famous Portuguese friend we visited the local outlet of these...the best in the whole of Iberia...we ate them there with glasses of fine Port...quite an experience.....🇵🇹🇪🇦

Last edited:
OP
OP
Peavy
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Days 7 and 8.
The 7th day was meant for laundry and some groceries. It eats the whole day!
Anyway, the highlight for us was visiting Mercadona:LOL:
But, it was kind of cool because it was the first store opened in Portugal, and it's been a success, with all those different products from the same brand we are used to, but only in Portugal (I wish we had some of these local Portuguese stuff in our area too).
They have already 20 stores or so opened now in Portugal! Should be studied this kind of success, from a small store in Valencia, to this huge iberian empire, so weird.
1000014264.jpg

One of the things we needed to buy was the connection from garden hose to 1" as we found is more commonly used here and we didn't have one. Leroy Merlin saved the day (as has happened to us before).
1000014295.jpg

From Porto we moved toward Guimarães, a nice small historic town which is the cradle of the country, as the nation was founded there.
We slept in the official place for Motorhomes, very convenient and close to the old town.
The city deserves a quick visit in one or half a day, enough to see the old town and the castle.
1000014239.jpg

In the van food department, we had a nice tikka masala chicken with basmati rice, which was far better than it looked in the picture.
1000014285.jpg

Last edited:

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Chicken Tikka Masala...how very Spanish...
Good to hear you are having a good time, didn't know that Mercadona had supermarkets in Portugal, a good outlet for quality produce...🇵🇹🇪🇦🇪🇺

Likes collected
Funster No
Days 7 and 8.
The 7th day was meant for laundry and some groceries. It eats the whole day!
Anyway, the highlight for us was visiting Mercadona:LOL:
But, it was kind of cool because it was the first store opened in Portugal, and it's been a success, with all those different products from the same brand we are used to, but only in Portugal (I wish we had some of these local Portuguese stuff in our area too).
They have already 20 stores or so opened now in Portugal! Should be studied this kind of success, from a small store in Valencia, to this huge iberian empire, so weird.
View attachment 967770
One of the things we needed to buy was the connection from garden hose to 1" as we found is more commonly used here and we didn't have one. Leroy Merlin saved the day (as has happened to us before).
View attachment 967858
From Porto we moved toward Guimarães, a nice small historic town which is the cradle of the country, as the nation was founded there.
We slept in the official place for Motorhomes, very convenient and close to the old town.
The city deserves a quick visit in one or half a day, enough to see the old town and the castle.
View attachment 967772
In the van food department, we had a nice tikka masala chicken with basmati rice, which was far better than it looked in the picture.
View attachment 967784
Shame we missed Guimaraes it looks interesting.

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
We took two Spanish couples for a curry because they were desperate to try one. They chose their meals, after we told them which would be the mildest, and three of them ended up sharing one dish because the others were "far too spicy" for them 😂

OP
OP
Peavy
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
We took two Spanish couples for a curry because they were desperate to try one. They chose their meals, after we told them which would be the mildest, and three of them ended up sharing one dish because the others were "far too spicy" for them 😂
That's interesting and it's so true.
I don't know why, but in Spain we are afraid of spicy food. Not we two, because we are not so Spanish in many things as I have explained before 😀
Our friends aren't interested in Mexican, Indian or any different kinds of food.
We like to go to those kind of restaurants and we have problems to drag them to these restaurants we love :LOL:

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
I don't know why, but in Spain we are afraid of spicy food. Not we two, because we are not so Spanish in many things as I have explained before 😀
Our friends aren't interested in Mexican, Indian or any different kinds of food.
We like to go to those kind of restaurants and we have problems to drag them to these restaurants we love :LOL:

Paco, the fourth of the group, although he cooks traditional food at home, was up for trying something spicier and he helped us finish the other dishes as well 🙂. He also likes English mustard and horseradish sauce.

Angéla likes spicy food, and can eat it hotter than us.

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994

So who buys the guindillas and the salsa brava?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back