French Visa Rejection

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I always believed that until a chinese bloke on one of the msm platforms explained that they get nothing in the way of tax breaks whatsoever nor have they ever done. He pointed out that they work hard & seven days a week.
Presumably a lot more difficult to employ people cash in hand in a country with id cards?

AGT

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Westfalia Columbus
Exp
Since 2021
Al n Val, Stewartwebr

Apologies for asking more questions on a painful subject:

- during your previous visa period did you return to the UK and stamp in/out from a non French airport or ferry terminal? We have Amsterdam/Rotterdam stamps which will appear on the copy of our passport which we have to file and I am wondering whether to explain these non French stamps.
- did your itinerary which you filed include time in a Schengen country other than France? We haven’t done this as we genuinely have no idea where we will go at the time of our application.
- had you booked a return crossing at the end of your visa period? We haven’t included this in our previous two applications.

I am suspicious about the new French government. Barnier wanted Brexit to hurt and he oversaw the 90/180 period (and understood what that meant) while our negotiators agreed 180/360 for EU passport holders visiting the UK.

Al n Val

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Rapido i1090 Distinc
Exp
since 2018
AGT

our itinerary only included France

We flew home for xmas and new year and our passports were stamped in Alicante and Leeds

We didn’t book a return crossing until we knew we were coming home and that was within the visa period

AGT

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Westfalia Columbus
Exp
Since 2021
Thanks Al.

I am vexed for you. A like for like application does give you a legitimate expectation for consistent treatment. If there has been a change in policy you would have thought that TLS might have mentioned it at your interview. Despite all the criticism of TLS we found our interviewer last year very helpful on a technical question which we had. I hope you find a work around to continue holidaying in the sun.

Your treatment makes no sense to me unless there has been a change in policy. One of the purposes of the visa is tourism and, even if we are using free or inexpensive aires, motorhomers extend the tourist season and do treat themselves to more than the occasional meal out!

We have a house in Alpes Maritimes and might, on that basis, have a stronger argument for a visa. The visa has been very important to us as 90/180 goes so quickly and it’s only with the visa that we have been able to include lengthy trips in the ‘van from and around our base in France.

We aren’t planning to make our next application until February 2025 when hopefully the position will be a bit clearer.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Presumably a lot more difficult to employ people cash in hand in a country with id cards?
no why would that be? Here there are actually 3 economies.
The legal one.
the 'black ' economy where it is cash in hand
the 'sort of black' economy whereby the legally self employed do the work but do not put it through the books. Nigh on impossible to catch as here in spain most jobs have a "minimum earnings amount" that you pay tax on.
I.e an electrician will be deemed to have a minimum income of 1500€ per month & that is what the tax would be based on & remember you are paying the tax regardless of whether you have an income.You cannot run a business at a 'loss' .they will shut you down. This is why you pay tax & NI even if you earn nothing & why self employed teacher's deregister at school year end so they don't have to pay 2 months NI without income.
Anyway back to the self employed.
So some pay the required minimum amount of tax based on this minimum earnings,1600€, the rest for many is cash work. If there is any suspicion about the work then it just gets put 'through the books'. .
some pay the minimum amount all there lives whilst a blind man can work out that expenditure is far in excess of income? Trouble is no one rarely looks.

I had a friend who was self emplyed engineer. Put is accounts in first month & accountant had a heart attack. " One for the taxman , three for you" was the only way he would do it.
I read an article some while back that if this could be stamped out the tax take would rise by around 40%.

When covid hit & even with businesses going under at record rates, the Murcian Hacienda ( tax office) was recording an increase in legally registered self employed, a tax & NI income 20% higher than in the previous 13 years & far more people legally employed.
All because the S/E & businesses found that help was only being given to those who were legal & who actually had the 'employee's ' on more than zero hour contracts. The other good thing to come from covid was gov.es making the 'zero hours' or '1hour/week' contracts unworkable by legally requiring employer's with anyone working to have them clock in & out every day. & for all the time cards to equate to the expenditure.
and he oversaw the 90/180 period (and understood what that meant) while our negotiators agreed 180/360 for EU passport holders visiting the UK.
Both of which were the status quo when in the EU so were just continued under the WA.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back