LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Have you ever heard of anyone getting done for speeding through the average speed cameras in The UK? I personally haven't yet, but then I set the cruise control for the say 50MPH limit and just sit it out until the road clear sign come up. The reason I ask is that I always seem to get some impatient person overtaking me, going a lot faster than they should.
I think that average speed cameras are a great idea, as they seem to keep traffic flowing better, and most people behave themselves better, less lane changes just before junctions especially.
LES
If your going ny your speedo and the person behind is using a gps, chances are their speed will proly be right while you are going a little slower ?
Also, unless things have changed ( quite possible but not heard anything ), average speed camera's are set to trigger at quite a bit beyond the posted limit... at least 10mph in the case of those set on motorways

Aerialmark

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 13, 2018
Burnley
Funster No
MH
Knaus/Weinsburgh
Exp
I'm new to it
Have you ever heard of anyone getting done for speeding through the average speed cameras in The UK? I personally haven't yet, but then I set the cruise control for the say 50MPH limit and just sit it out until the road clear sign come up. The reason I ask is that I always seem to get some impatient person overtaking me, going a lot faster than they should.
I think that average speed cameras are a great idea, as they seem to keep traffic flowing better, and most people behave themselves better, less lane changes just before junctions especially.
LES
Hi Yes, 2 drivers that work for me were fined on the "Stockport Bend" on the M60 within a month of each other. Its a 50mph average speed cameras. Strangely enough both were done at an average of 58mph. Neil said he hit the entry camera at about 65 and just rolled until he hit 50 and exited at 50. He didn't think they worked but is now a believer (y)
Before this happened I was sceptical about weather anybody was fined but now when i see somebody pass me at 65 to 70 mph and maintain that speed through the exit camera I think there is a good chance they will get done.

Last edited:

1ten

Free Member
Sep 10, 2017
Funster No
I've been flashed quite a few times in France without getting a fine through. We are in a PVC but it is a high top so sets of the lorry cameras. Our PVC is rated at 4.5 tonne but it would seem the French don't know that and never pick it up on the toll roads either.

The one time have been been caught and the fine came through I just paid it, my fault and didn't fancy get stopped in France and getting more problems having an outstanding fine.

If you don't pay in the America they can catch up with you next time you fly into that State, guess how I know!
Don't pay in Germany they stick you in jail for the day if they catch up with you and then you have to pay!!

POH

May 29, 2018
Funster No
MH
Pilote 740c
Exp
5 years
I got flashed on route back to Calais just prior to lockdown, thought nothing of it. Received a ticket about 2 weeks later when back in the UK.
But did you pay it :ROFLMAO:

Feb 23, 2021
BURY ST. EDMUNDS
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 670 SLT
Exp
Since 2002
This is a helpful article saying no we will not be contacted and fined.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 3, 2013
St.Neots Cambs
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I-414
Exp
2002-2006, 2013-current
LES
There is a section on the A1 near us which apparently catches loads of people-mate of mine lives in the village it runs through and they get a monthly report from the department running the cameraā€™s-the village lobbied to have the cameras as they couldnā€™t safely get out of the village across the A1 which is the only entrance and exit.

Sep 22, 2021
Funster No
MH
C class
LES
I know countless people been done on average speed cameras.

Apr 12, 2020
South Lincs....
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7095DF
Exp
20+ years. Previously Hymer B654 and Hymer S660 both c/w tow-bars.
LES
This guy might be able to tell youā€¦.. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lincolnshire-46512620

There are 7 average speed cameras shortly after this one, between the River Nene (Cross Keys) swing bridge and Kingā€™s Lynn.

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
We were flashed once using a road that lorries are not allowed on, in France, but it was because it recognised the height but not the vehicle! Never heard anything!

Mad dog

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2019
South West
Funster No
MH
Rapido Dreamer PVC
Exp
Was caught in France in Oct 2019, ticket arrived in the UK after. Don't think they can pass fines across the manche now??

ElliesBoss

Free Member
May 10, 2018
Bucks
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Augusta
Exp
MH newbie but we owned a caravan previously.
I thought the French authorities paid a British company to acquire the relevant details for them. No idea why I'm under that impression - might have dreamed it!

AXO66

Free Member
Oct 6, 2016
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Chasson 510
Exp
This guy might be able to tell youā€¦.. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lincolnshire-46512620

There are 7 average speed cameras shortly after this one, between the River Nene (Cross Keys) swing bridge and Kingā€™s Lynn.
Might be because most speedos show 2mph less than a sat nav. So speedo showing 50 , (and probably same electronics as the speed limiter uses ) but car doing 48mph , but actually 50 mph according to sat nav, which is likely to be more accurate re true speed. Then add on the speed tolerance you are allowed before being fined , say an extra 2 mph.

Therefore speed limiter set to 50mph, really 48 mph. Sat nav speed is ā€œtrueā€ 50mph plus 2 even 3 mph = 4 to 5 mph faster than than 48.

probably explains why some lorries trundle past me when I set speed limiter to 50mph.:giggle::(

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
If your going ny your speedo and the person behind is using a gps, chances are their speed will proly be right while you are going a little slower ?
Also, unless things have changed ( quite possible but not heard anything ), average speed camera's are set to trigger at quite a bit beyond the posted limit... at least 10mph in the case of those set on motorways
But what about the numpties who don't understand the word, 'average'.
The Number of times I have followed drivers who think that if they go anything over the stated average then they'll get a ticket.
This can be proved by the fact that they drive through the next village without average cameras at speeds above the limit (They're not angels, they're numpties.)

The Lobster

Free Member
Aug 13, 2011
Borders of Scotland
Funster No
MH
BĆ¼rstner A576
Exp
Still getting started
This article, written earlier this year, seems to say "it's harder for them to get you, but don't assume you'll get off scot free". And also notes that on-the-spot fines must still be paid - duh!

Kevin R

LIFE MEMBER
May 27, 2014
Germany
Funster No
MH
5th Wheeler Glendale
Exp
Since 2002
I drive on German vehicle registration and drive through France twice each year taking care not to exceed speed limits. However, they still send me dubious fines in German to compensate for the loss of the fines on UK registered vehicles. Brexit canā€™t be that bad! šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚

Deleted User
Does it make any difference? I don't intend to speed because they can't send the fine, if I do inadvertantly get flashed then I will soon find out

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I do try to adhere to all speed limits, but last year due entirely to abysmal signage ( thought the 50k had ended and I was in a 70k area ) I did get flashed along with several vehicles behind me ( looked like a machine gun going off in the mirror !! )
Even though I believe I had a fair case I still coughed up the fine and will do so if I get bagged again
I am FAR from a goody two shoes but I do believe in sticking to the rules of the country that is my host at the time

Jul 5, 2020
Southampton, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 696F
Exp
4yrs
I was flashed and received a ticket on my arrival home ....... I did pay, as was not sure what could have happened if I didn't...... the fines are less that the British ones and no points !!!!

TheBig1

Deceased RIP
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
A friend's Mrs got flashed once and was not too happy till her dog went after the bugger and bit him, then laughed about it for ages

OP
OP
Reusables
Jul 24, 2015
Ramsgate Kent
Funster No
MH
Fiat ducato c class
Exp
5 years
Yeah if one comes through I'd pay it no probs ,don't want any hassles abroad and getting frog marched to a ATM.

Got my fingers crossed that no news is good news though and will report back if anything changes.

As for Spanish parking fine the reg number was wrong so that went in the bin (apparently)

May 13, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
eight years in theory, a newby in practice!!!
I can remember heading for Manchester from Glasgow in my lorry and I was driving down the A74 at the time it was getting upgraded to motorway. There was a 12 mile section with a speed limit of 40mph and there was a BMW crawling past me about 1mph faster. Then this other BMW came right up behind him tailgating him flashing his lights. When the leading BMW eventually past me, he pulled in front of me to allow the other one past...... then as the other BMW sped away the one in front of me gave chase with blue lights flashing :giggler:
I gave them a toot as I passed them when he'd been pulled over :giggler:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back