Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
I was flashed near Reims in my Van (not Moho) 2005, never got a ticket
I got flashed at the tunnel towards Monaco, hire car I was being tailgated by a Mercedes Limo, I was trying to get out of the way) 2010, never got a ticket.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 29, 2018
Funster No
MH
New owner
Exp
new
I have had several tickets from cameras on travels through France (car rather than motorhome). It comes through with my name slightly wrong so they don't have it from the DVLA but they do have my licence plate and name from somewhere. Time for a new car perhaps? Fines are relatively small and no points obviously so tend to pay and forget about it rather than risk some sort of recrimination when I next go to France.

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
As SMO129. Have been flashed several times in France,they must check the photo's and see that it/you are in a mo-ho.....LONG may it stay the same.
Tea Bag

POH

May 29, 2018
Funster No
MH
Pilote 740c
Exp
5 years
I've been flashed quite a few times- I think the camera picks up a large vehicle and flashes, thinking it is an HGV- My van is sub 3,500kg and I have never had a fine to date
Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Me too, flashed at least twice, not heard anything šŸ‘

Got a parking ticket by the local Spanish police too 4 years ago, they keep sending reminders every year. I'd pay it but there were no signs up and the police said I wouldn't be fined.
I'll pay it when the van gets impounded šŸ˜

OP
OP
Reusables
Jul 24, 2015
Ramsgate Kent
Funster No
MH
Fiat ducato c class
Exp
5 years
Me too, flashed at least twice, not heard anything šŸ‘

Got a parking ticket by the local Spanish police too 4 years ago, they keep sending reminders every year. I'd pay it but there were no signs up and the police said I wouldn't be fined.
I'll pay it when the van gets impounded šŸ˜
They actually got a digit wrong on our van ..I mean my friends van. šŸ¤­

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Yes it would be a worry to most of us getting flashed anywhere in France, returning home, fingers crossed that we will hear nothing, or should we get a fine, pay it?, or ignore it?, from what I read on here in the recent past, most seem to be advised to pay any fines, just in case its recorded against your number plate, should you return to France, you could well incur further late payment fines.:oops:
I am wondering how & when this check would be carried out as most border crossings are happy to just see your passports, plus any Covid related paperwork, then wave you on.
Then again maybe if you were unfortunate enough to be pulled over for a full docs check, inc V5 ownership, then maybe that's when the unpaid fines would show up on their system, especially if you have an A Frame with a toad on the back, well you are asking for it then.;):giggle:
LES

Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
I got flashed in Bristol at 1.00am on the M4 on my way back from France in September. The bloody camera was just past the 40mph temporary sign approaching roadworks. I was fuming as I was already slowing down and there was NOTHING ELSE behind or in front of me so didn't bother to brake. I was still probably 1/2 a mile from the first cones so would have been down to 40mph by the time I reached them anyway. I had to do a 'motorway awareness' course to save the 3 points. šŸ˜ 

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
I got flashed in Bristol at 1.00am on the M4 on my way back from France in September. The bloody camera was just past the 40mph temporary sign approaching roadworks. I was fuming as I was already slowing down and there was NOTHING ELSE behind or in front of me so didn't bother to brake. I was still probably 1/2 a mile from the first cones so would have been down to 40mph by the time I reached them anyway. I had to do a 'motorway awareness' course to save the 3 points. šŸ˜ 
Some of the speed limits are ridiculous aren't they, we come home during the night and I always wonder if the cameras are active for the roadwork speed limit.
I feel as though someone could run into the back of us if I slow down that much.

May 14, 2021
East Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
ADRIA Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2012
Not exactly related to France but when Portugal first introduced their new toll motorways, where you registered a card against the VRM and the the ANPR cameras then picked up your use in the motorway, I had the pleasure of speaking to one of their ā€˜Tollā€˜ Police patrols.

He explained the new system and said if you were caught by camera having not paid etc then their system retained your VRM and when it @gainbsaw you on the motorway it alerted the patrols to your presence and they came looking for you.

All sounded very feasible and efficient

Aug 29, 2018
Funster No
MH
New owner
Exp
new
Do you have a French emissions sticker?
Do yo have a Dart Charge account?
Are you registered with Transport for London?
No, I don't think I have any of those. Have SANEF autoroute tag - that was the only other thing I could think of. Doesn't really explain the spelling mistake on my name - unless some bored french admin person had to type them all in manually. šŸ„±

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Not exactly related to France but when Portugal first introduced their new toll motorways, where you registered a card against the VRM and the the ANPR cameras then picked up your use in the motorway, I had the pleasure of speaking to one of their ā€˜Tollā€˜ Police patrols.

He explained the new system and said if you were caught by camera having not paid etc then their system retained your VRM and when it @gainbsaw you on the motorway it alerted the patrols to your presence and they came looking for you.

All sounded very feasible and efficient
We stopped at the "foreigner" service toll booth thing when we first went into portugal. Put the credit card in, registered it and it gave us a receipt... We carried on our way and a couple of days later I noticed the number plate had beed read wrong by 1 digit šŸ¤©, never got any bills šŸ‘
I thought if we had got stopped it's their error not mine

That's twice our number plate has been miss read šŸ˜

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
Got flashed on our last trip about a week ago fairly certain I was only doing about 84kph so within tolerance, probably flashed due to the height of the van.
I hadnā€™t realised that the height of the van triggered a camera. I was flashed three weeks ago when I was confident I was within the limit. Just outside Auxerre. I havenā€™t heard anything yet but was certain I wasnā€™t speeding.

Jun 13, 2020
Garden of England
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML T570
I got flashed on route back to Calais just prior to lockdown, thought nothing of it. Received a ticket about 2 weeks later when back in the UK.

Oct 18, 2021
Mid Devon
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Exp
Camping since 1954, MoHo 2022

Iā€™ve been done on the M4/M5 interchange at Bristol - where the ā€˜Variable Speed Limitā€™ signage begins. Sunday night at 23.30 no other vehicles around and there were no speed restrictions indicated on the overhead signs - but the cameras on the side of the gantries are active 24/7 and will still nail you above the 70 mph limit (plus the variable they add on). Apparently itā€™s the same at all the Smart Motorway sections and junctions.

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
When you get back to the border crossing at Calais they will pull you in,search your van and take goods to the value of the fine. :rofl: :rofl:

Aug 26, 2021
Fleetwood, UK
Funster No
MH
a class Burstner
Anyone know what happens if a French speed camera flashes you?

Asking for a friend šŸ™„
It nearly blinds you if head on and rd wet. I know 8 could not see properly for ages, swore to get sun glasses on the rds in france after that. For us nothing happened, but it was 10 yrs ago nr bergerac.

Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
Iā€™ve been done on the M4/M5 interchange at Bristol - where the ā€˜Variable Speed Limitā€™ signage begins. Sunday night at 23.30 no other vehicles around and there were no speed restrictions indicated on the overhead signs - but the cameras on the side of the gantries are active 24/7 and will still nail you above the 70 mph limit (plus the variable they add on). Apparently itā€™s the same at all the Smart Motorway sections and junctions.
If I'd been aware of the fixed camera on the gantry I would have slowed down before it but the circumstances at the time didn't warrant braking... or so I thought.

Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
One of the interesting points I gleaned from my course is that the orange (or yellow) flashing speed signs are only advisory, the ones on smart motorways are compulsory and the various speeds start (and end) directly under the signs. It's down to the driver to pay attention to the signs up ahead and slow in time. Good practice for French speed limits šŸ™„

Jan 3, 2013
St.Neots Cambs
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I-414
Exp
2002-2006, 2013-current
I have been flashed last year and the year before in France-fine turned up at home which I paid both time-I think it was 30 or 35 euros so no big dea. We also got a parking ticket in Biscarosse Plage last year which basically said we had to go to the Hotel de Ville to pay-ignored that one. There were no ā€œNo Parkingā€ signs visible-turns out it was a permanent ban on overnight parking in the town boundary-but you needed to know the local by laws to know. We parked at about 22:45 and by 08:00 we had a ticketā€¦ā€¦.bloody French!

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Have you ever heard of anyone getting done for speeding through the average speed cameras in The UK? I personally haven't yet, but then I set the cruise control for the say 50MPH limit and just sit it out until the road clear sign come up. The reason I ask is that I always seem to get some impatient person overtaking me, going a lot faster than they should.
I think that average speed cameras are a great idea, as they seem to keep traffic flowing better, and most people behave themselves better, less lane changes just before junctions especially.
LES

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back