French licence swap leaves Briton unable to drive €100,000 campervan (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Apr 7, 2022
34390 Saint-Étienne-d'Albagnan, France
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 70
Exp
I exchanged my UK licence for a French one in 2012 and was refused my C1. At that time licences were issued by the various Department Prefectures, it was lottery then as to whether you kept the C1 catagory, or even needed to exchange your UK/EU licence as a French Resident. Charente Department did not require you to 'exchange' your licence but the Gendarmes did if you were naughty; which I was !

Since Centralization at Rennes it is commonly understood that a C1 cannot be exchanged unless the documentation exists to prove you have passed the necessary test for that catagory of vehicle.

A Storm in a Tea Cup by somebody who didn't do his homework before ordering his van.
I exchanged mine in Herault in 2007, and got a full C1 without problem, but have lost it now as I didn't want the hassle of renewing it every 2 years, and I haven’t used it in the last 20 years anyway, but i didn’t lose the ability to have a trailer over 750kg, which is something I do use from time to time.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
That's not quite true though, is it. I have 2 leisure batteries at probably 15kg each. Air conditioning unit, 25kg. Awning, maybe 20kg. Invertor, B2B etc. probably another 10kg. So another 85kg minimum on top of the running weight which, according to the documents, is 3.081. So add me - 90kg, my wife - 60kg, 4 bottles of wine - 4kg, a few tins of whatever - 5 kg, bottles of water - 7kg, half full water tank - 50kg, 2 gas bottles - 24kg, fuel - let's say half a tank (I don't run with full fuel - something you learn flying 4 seater aircraft) - 40kg to get a grand total of 3.422kg. Still no clothes added or mobile phones, tablets, food stuffs (bread, eggs, milk, juice, meat, veg, yoghurts etc). I weighed the van yesterday with half a tank of diesel, full water, no grey or black, a few provisions and me and the weight is dead on 3.500kg. So do I need to leave my wife at home?

We would struggle the same way but our max weight is 3850kg. I cannot get it through to OH that if I lost my C1 we would be in trouble and that she should take the C1 exam.

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
We have a Hymer Tramp and we can, with care, just manage to keep within 3500. One advantage we have is no oven or microwave and no heavy drop down bed. We took out the 27 kg table, and use a light table inside and out, and now have a lithium battery instead of the heavy one.

We only travel with half a water tank and fuel tank and we take a small amount of clothes each. Our heavy weight comes from our two ebikes, but they are necessary! The fishing canoe has stayed home for the last few years. A shame, but needs must.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I have 2 leisure batteries at probably 15kg each. Air conditioning unit, 25kg. Awning, maybe 20kg. I
Your weights are a bit out, the batteries will be 25 - 30 kg each.
Awning 35 - 45 kg depending on size.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DandJ

Free Member
Aug 15, 2023
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Of course 3.500kg is entirely possible.
Indeed it is.....just may involved some swapping their van for a lighter one with more payload. I remain staggered that so many people will spend tens of thousands of pounds and fail to do basic homework on stuff like this (or actually believe everything a sales bod says) Finding information in 2024 is better than ever....a few seconds on a phone, tablet, laptop and you've got tonnes of useful info.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
But did they include the C1? No, didn't think so, mine neither.
We exchanged 22byears ago and got everything, which we still have.
The eu law is quite simple ,whatever is on the licence cannot be questioned from another EU state. You usedto get a similar problem with vehicles being reregistered, especially American ones . They'd throwback all sorts of nonsense but the law is quite simple. If it had already been registered in an EU state then nothing whatsoever, additionally, can be asked. It is taken as a right that everything required had been done already.
You wouldn’t get gestorias making complaints though as there living depends on it but it was a problem for me
Same for Germans, they kept grandfather rights, guess the issue is the UK not been a member of the EU
Evrn they had to change some years back around the time the UK convinced the eu that the uk licence required renewal at 10byears when photo needs it,the Germans had to change all new drivers to 10 year licences,from until death" & the Norwegians the same to10 years from age 100"
Those existing though retained the right unless they changed and probably why most Germans who live around me ,& have done for longer than I have lived in Spain, are not registered as residents.
I don't think it's just the cost it's the time taken learning enough Spanish and prospect of possibly failing the test
You also have to have an up to date medical certificate ,that only has a validity of 90 days, until you pass. Also if other categories are the same as cars each time you fail you have to have more and more lessons.
You could probably exchange for a Polish license then exchange that for a French one although moving country a couple of times would be a tad inconvenient!
There was a similar thing a few years ago with my job. At one time you could move to Australia and work with a UK qualification. They removed that several years ago but for a few years you could swap for a NZ registration and that was recognised in Australia!
If you register for aussie residency you still have to register for NZ.Wheras,if you register for NZ first you can then apply to aussie and it is a formality. Daughter &son in law did it that way in 2014.
I can also ride a 125 on my french license, But I wouldn't expect to be able to keep it if I went back to the UK.
Same in Spain.
I really meant I couldn't understand why people who move say to Spain quite often seem to make no real effort to learn the language
Main problem I didn't wish to learn was not wanting to understand another load of political liars in a second language.
do all french people have to pass a test for over 3.5 do none of the older folk have it automatically?
In Spain you basically have a test for everything ,including towing over750kgs. France is similar.

DandJ

Free Member
Aug 15, 2023
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Why would it occur to them? They do not do it for there cars?
It probably wouldn't....so when buying something you know nothing about you'd do a little homework and if you searched for 'What to look for in a motorhome' weight would more than likely pop up...as would layout, size etc. As for cars...perhaps 1 in 1000 will ever overload their car...it's completely different and unless you're a professional who needs an estate car or 4 x 4 to lug around your collection of nuts and bolts or some other heavy things...there'd be no need to be concerned with weight...unlike a motorhome.

May 28, 2024
Maspalomas, Spain
Funster No
MH
Giottiline Toscan 74
Exp
Indeed it is.....just may involved some swapping their van for a lighter one with more payload. I remain staggered that so many people will spend tens of thousands of pounds and fail to do basic homework on stuff like this (or actually believe everything a sales bod says) Finding information in 2024 is better than ever....a few seconds on a phone, tablet, laptop and you've got tonnes of useful info.
Well I am counting on the European law change that comes into effect at the beginning of 2025 here in Spain, where class B holders can drive up to 4.250kg. Seeing as my moho can go to 3.850kg without any modifications, I will get it replated and have another 350kg for the wife and her shoes. Job done.

May 15, 2022
Bavaria
Funster No
MH
Pilote P969D
Exp
Since 2012
I had to exchange my licence in 2019 for a German one after being informed by the DVLA that they were going to invalidate it, the swap was easy enough but of course no C1, German rules are that from 50 you need a medical and a first aid course to keep the C1, being over 60 at the time they dropped the C1, but all I needed was to take a first aid course, have a medical and prove I could drive something of 3500 or over with a 1 hour assessment to show I really could do it (no problem on all counts),and then I could have my C1 back, fair enough, those are the rules here....

Go with the flow and the rules of where you live, when in Rome etc.

May 28, 2024
Maspalomas, Spain
Funster No
MH
Giottiline Toscan 74
Exp
I had to exchange my licence in 2019 for a German one after being informed by the DVLA that they were going to invalidate it, the swap was easy enough but of course no C1, German rules are that from 50 you need a medical and a first aid course to keep the C1, being over 60 at the time they dropped the C1, but all I needed was to take a first aid course, have a medical and prove I could drive something of 3500 or over with a 1 hour assessment to show I really could do it (no problem on all counts),and then I could have my C1 back, fair enough, those are the rules here....

In Spain you need a medical every time you renew your licence, even for first timers.

May 28, 2024
Maspalomas, Spain
Funster No
MH
Giottiline Toscan 74
Exp
We have a Hymer Tramp and we can, with care, just manage to keep within 3500. One advantage we have is no oven or microwave and no heavy drop down bed. We took out the 27 kg table, and use a light table inside and out, and now have a lithium battery instead of the heavy one.

We only travel with half a water tank and fuel tank and we take a small amount of clothes each. Our heavy weight comes from our two ebikes, but they are necessary! The fishing canoe has stayed home for the last few years. A shame, but needs must.
We do have a drop down bed also, apart from our normal beds over the garage. Seeing as we have no intention of taking anyone with us (the van sleeps 5 apparently) I will remove the mattress from the drop down - that must be at least 20kg, then we can carry the wife's clothes as well as her shoes. Win win.

Oct 27, 2017
Perth
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2014
That's exactly what we do…and moves weight off the back axle.

Almost tempted to say wife could take more clothes, but common sense prevailed :)

Oct 12, 2009
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009

While we are just swapping requirements for exchange of C1, which i have done in Poland, I will explain the details.

I had to undertake a medical, which has to be repeated for licence renewal, but only every 5 years in Poland.

The initial medical, but not renewal, includes a psychological test, which basically consists of a 30 min. questionaire (usual crap about trying to spot inconsistencies in answers etc.). I was allowed to do it in English. The psychologist invigilator could see i was zipping through the questions and came over after 15 mins., took away my paper and declared that I had passed.

As for the 'Medical' it was usual blood test, BP etc. Eye test was a chart propped up on a seat. Interview with doctor was him ticking off the forms from the others and signing the PASS. His word was IT! - no DVLA Medical Dept.

I am not apprehensive about my renewal at age 83 in Nov 2025 ....nor 2030.

WHATEVER LICENCE, HOWEVER ISSUED, WE ARE ALL ALLOWED TO DRIVE ANYWHERE IN EUROPE.

ONLY PROBLEM COMES WHEN ONE CHANGES 'RESIDENCE' - WHAT HAS YOUR HOUSE GOT TO DO WITH ROAD SAFETY????

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
While we are just swapping requirements for exchange of C1, which i have done in Poland, I will explain the details.

I had to undertake a medical, which has to be repeated for licence renewal, but only every 5 years in Poland.

The initial medical, but not renewal, includes a psychological test, which basically consists of a 30 min. questionaire (usual crap about trying to spot inconsistencies in answers etc.). I was allowed to do it in English. The psychologist invigilator could see i was zipping through the questions and came over after 15 mins., took away my paper and declared that I had passed.

As for the 'Medical' it was usual blood test, BP etc. Eye test was a chart propped up on a seat. Interview with doctor was him ticking off the forms from the others and signing the PASS. His word was IT! - no DVLA Medical Dept.

WHATEVER LICENCE, HOWEVER ISSUED, WE ARE ALL ALLOWED TO DRIVE ANYWHERE IN EUROPE.

ONLY PROBLEM COMES WHEN ONE CHANGES 'RESIDENCE' - WHAT HAS YOUR HOUSE GOT TO DO WITH ROAD SAFETY????
We could probably have stayed with the reciprocal arrangements for driving licences when we left the EU if it had been a negotiating priority but I suspect a lot of things were not thought through. But the point remains really having left if there were people coming here able to exchange vehicle classes they never took a test for that people here were required to take a test for how many would feel it was right?

Apr 7, 2022
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 70
Exp

The french health check for C1 was every 5 years, the medical consisted of a quick chat, blood pressure, have a listen to heart and lungs, then basic eye test, the reason I decided to let my C1 go was after 65 it was every two years, and every year after 70.

Personally I think that when the UK moved over to the European style licence, they should have upgraded everyone who wanted to keep a C1 possibly with a medical and maybe a simple conversation course.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
“There is European case law that EU states must recognise validity of all categories of other EU countries’ licences,”

If this statement is correct then it illustrates an absurdity: My UK licence had C1 by virtue of the rights of having passed a test before 1997.

I exchanged my licence for a Polish one and it was issued with category C1 with no quibble.

If the statement I quote above is correct I could swap my Polish licence for a French one and retain C1.

This is an absurdity.
But but but we are not part of the EU…I feel genuinely sorry for the guy but it’s part of what we loose when we voted this like many things were not explained.

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
Well I am counting on the European law change that comes into effect at the beginning of 2025 here in Spain, where class B holders can drive up to 4.250kg. Seeing as my moho can go to 3.850kg without any modifications, I will get it replated and have another 350kg for the wife and her shoes. Job done.
Is that now guaranteed or pending EU or EU country specific ratification?

Apr 7, 2022
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 70
Exp
Not quite as straightforward as that.

French law permits one to drive in France with a UK licence for 6 months, including one which has C1 obtained without a test.

French Law then requires one after 6 months residency to exchange ones licence.

French law then declares that one is not permitted to exercise the rights of the C1 licence, which French Law had approved for the previous 6 months.

The OP would probably have been happy to continue driving on a UK licence and did not want to change but for the French Law requiring it.

[EDIT If French Law wished to be consistent on these conflicting requirements it could either

1. Allow transfer of all C1 rights

OR

2. Ban driving in France on a C1 obtained without a test.
Actually French law states that if you are a french resident and have a uk licence issued before 2021, you do not have to exchange it, unless you commit a traffic violation, at that point you will be required to exchange your uk licence for a french one so that any alterations needed becouse of the violation can be done.
When exchanging you are then governed by the rules for obtaining a french licence.

Oct 12, 2009
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Actually French law states that if you are a french resident and have a uk licence issued before 2021, you do not have to exchange it, unless you commit a traffic violation, at that point you will be required to exchange your uk licence for a french one so that any alterations needed becouse of the violation can be done.
When exchanging you are then governed by the rules for obtaining a french licence.

Could you please confirm a couple of points in that statement.

Is that applicable to French 'Residents' without being Citizens?

'Licence issued before 2021' Does that only refer to a current licence, which may have been renewed at age 70, or does it apply to the issue of one's original licence, maybe 30 years ago?

TIA

Apr 7, 2022
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 70
Exp
Could you please confirm a couple of points in that statement.

Is that applicable to French 'Residents' without being Citizens?

'Licence issued before 2021' Does that only refer to a current licence, which may have been renewed at age 70, or does it apply to the issue of one's original licence, maybe 30 years ago?

TIA
My understanding is that it is a resident of france, nationality doesn't come into it, as far as the second question, I take it to be the issue date of the current driving license, not when you first had a license.

This is the link to the government site where i obtained the information.

Follow the who has to exchange link

It seems to automatically translate for me.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back