French licence swap leaves Briton unable to drive €100,000 campervan (2 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
It's good to highlight it as a possible issue but I really can't see how anyone moving to another country can pick which laws they would like changed. I think the bloke in the article would be better trying to cancel the order or get one less than 3500.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
It's good to highlight it as a possible issue but I really can't see how anyone moving to another country can pick which laws they would like changed. I think the bloke in the article would be better trying to cancel the order or get one less than 3500.
Be better if thecfrenchvactually did what EU rules state ,rather than what there own laws state, which in no way have preference unless they bestow greater benefits to the citizen than EU ones do.

Oct 28, 2022
Funster No
MH
Rapido
The law (if its correct) is the law.

We would not accept taliban rules to be the norm in our country? Well we shouldnt!!!!!!

I have every sympathy, but unless we have reciprocal agreements, then dont fancy your chances of it been overturned?

Re-apply for UKlicence?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 28, 2024
Maspalomas, Spain
Funster No
MH
Giottiline Toscan 74
Exp
Yup. Got everything OK 👍
Well I'm happy for you. I exchanged my licence 200 years ago and the C1 was not included. I had no idea, as I was 21 and had no intention of driving trucks. Now, after all these years I realise I need it because 3.500kg is just not possible in any modern motorhome. However, as the European law has changed and been ratified by the European Government (??) class B will now allow up to 4.250kg. This amendment will enter law at the beginning of 2025 here in Spain. My other option is to exchange my Spanish licence for a British one, as they have assured me that all entitlements will be respected.

Apr 7, 2022
34390 Saint-Étienne-d'Albagnan, France
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 70
Exp
Be better if thecfrenchvactually did what EU rules state ,rather than what there own laws state, which in no way have preference unless they bestow greater benefits to the citizen than EU ones do.
The EU rules state.

When you exchange your original driving licence for a local one, you will be subject to that country's rules on driving licences (for example on validity periods and medical checks).

In other words in the case of a licence exchange, the EU accepts that the local licensing has overall authority. In whatever EU country you are in.

I believe that while the UK was in the eu exceptions were made for the abnormality with inherited catogories, In my case I gained and ended up with a full C1 as if I had taken my test. But now the uk is no longer part of the EU there's no reason to honour this exception anymore.

Oct 27, 2017
Perth
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2014
I didn't even have to leave the UK to be disadvantaged. When we left the UK my European pilots licence (LAPL) was downgraded to a UK-only one :-(

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
36 years and 16 motorhomes
If you live in another country you play by their rules. Surely it would be easier to just take the driving test and get the required category on his license than entering into protracted legal battles which are never easy in your own country let alone a foreign one and of course never cheap regardless of country. Anything legal comes at a heavy price and no guarantees.

May 28, 2024
Maspalomas, Spain
Funster No
MH
Giottiline Toscan 74
Exp
If you live in another country you play by their rules. Surely it would be easier to just take the driving test and get the required category on his license than entering into protracted legal battles which are never easy in your own country let alone a foreign one and of course never cheap regardless of country. Anything legal comes at a heavy price and no guarantees.
Yes absolutely, I have lived in Spain for 43 years already and play by their rules. However, if you can get an entitlement to a C1 on you license without paying €3.000 I think most people would at least try.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Yes absolutely, I have lived in Spain for 43 years already and play by their rules. However, if you can get an entitlement to a C1 on you license without paying €3.000 I think most people would at least try.
I don't think it's just the cost it's the time taken learning enough Spanish and prospect of possibly failing the test

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Well for some that may be true, but I speak fluent Spanish.
I can never understand people who move to another country and don't seem to make any effort to learn the language the same with people who come to the UK I actually think catering for other languages reduces the incentive to learn the language in the country you move to

Apr 7, 2022
34390 Saint-Étienne-d'Albagnan, France
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 70
Exp
I do not know how you presumed to know when I acquired my Polish Licence, but you are wrong as it was issued 04.02.2021, so after Brexit and even after the end of the Withdrawal Agreement on 31.12.2020.
You changed your uk license to a Polish one, the rules on exchanging a non EU licence for a Polish licence are based on whatever agreement the uk has with Poland likewise the uk and france and has nothing to do with the EU rules of inter EU country exchanges.

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
I can never understand people who move to another country and don't seem to make any effort to learn the language the same with people who come to the UK I actually think catering for other languages reduces the incentive to learn the language in the country you move to

For some, it's not a choice. I have certain memory problems and find languages difficult. Added to that, I cannot guarantee that I'll live in France for ever. I may move back to the US, or to Spain, or to Malta etc. It would be impossible to learn a new language in each new country.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
You changed your uk license to a Polish one, the rules on exchanging a non EU licence for a Polish licence are based on whatever agreement the uk has with Poland likewise the uk and france and has nothing to do with the EU rules of inter EU country exchanges.
You could probably exchange for a Polish license then exchange that for a French one although moving country a couple of times would be a tad inconvenient!
There was a similar thing a few years ago with my job. At one time you could move to Australia and work with a UK qualification. They removed that several years ago but for a few years you could swap for a NZ registration and that was recognised in Australia!

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
For some, it's not a choice. I have certain memory problems and find languages difficult. Added to that, I cannot guarantee that I'll live in France for ever. I may move back to the US, or to Spain, or to Malta etc. It would be impossible to learn a new language in each new country.
In which case I think it's not the responsibility of the country you move to to cater for your lack of the local language as you have decided to move there. Neither is it reasonable to expect them to alter their driving licence laws to cater for you.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
If it's their rules then they apply.
A French person can ride a moped at 14 but they can't in the U.K. until 16.............................

1722099483426.png

Last edited:

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
In which case I think it's not the responsibility of the country you move to to cater for your lack of the local language as you have decided to move there. Neither is it reasonable to expect them to alter their driving licence laws to cater for you.

I don't expect them to alter any laws for me!!! That wasn't my point at all.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I wonder which way he voted, I would imagine if he had been a remainer, he would have blamed the people who voted to leave as much as the french authoritys.🤔
I suspect quite likely someone who thought he could do as he liked and any other country would allow it so the opposite persuasion!

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I don't expect them to alter any laws for me!!! That wasn't my point at all.
But I think in the way you are expecting to be quite likely an itinerant immigrant you are unusual. I really meant I couldn't understand why people who move say to Spain quite often seem to make no real effort to learn the language despite it being as far as they are aware a permanent move.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back