September 2023 :)
There used to be a term called...............let me think...............oh yes,
WILD CAMPING!

Or doesn't that mean shit these days?

Feb 21, 2022
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Cotswold
I haven't read all of this thread as there's so much of it, however, I'm wondering if I'm unique, or even slightly weird, as I wouldn't mind anyone parking their motorhome outside my house!

Admittedly I have some garden and a 6' hedge so it's not like having a house right on the road with a vehicle parked slap bang in front of my window.

Maybe I am weird. People do look at me funny sometimes! 😁. I don't care. You're welcome to park outside my house. My neighbours might complain but if they start stickering your vehicle I'll have a word in their ear!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
And I pay a lot of money to visit nice places - simples.
Maybe coming to a parking space near you soon? ;)
You are welcome to park in any space near where I live but the road outside my house would not really be suitable due to the location, and my closest neighbour is a terrible driver he has hit three vehicles parked on our road this year🤣

hja

May 8, 2020
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit Prim
Exp
Since 2019
I am not at all sure I understand what all the fuss is about where people park up overnight. We only park in recognised overnight stops, definitely not necessarily camp sites and almost definitely not all singing, all dancing camp sites. We have our own facilities and we use them. A tank of water will last us a several days, grey water more so. Toilet 2 to 3 days. We don’t like most camp sites. CLs and CSs usually OK. Staid at some good Aires especially in Scotland. Would t stop at a pub because we wouldn’t want to have a meal or drinks in the pub, that’s just us, but it suits plenty.
I can absolutely see why someone would want to park up overnight in somewhere remote with great views. Not for us, we are just scaredy-cats! I don’t know why anyone would want to stop overnight on a street, but they do, so fine as long as vehicle is legal, and they leave no trace. Plenty of scope to stay overnight in supermarket car parks, some even allow overnight stops for a couple of pounds, as demonstrated by Darren the Urban Motorhomer.
I understand the general annoyance at some staying long term in e.g. holiday places where day trippers can’t then park. So I can sympathise with minimum stays. It irritates me intensely when I see height limits on parking or height barriers on car parks that stop me enjoying a day out, regardless of where we are stopping overnight.

Feb 20, 2023
Funster No
MH
Benivan
I’m currently at the Grantown on Spey Caravan park in Scotland, as I walked into town I noticed an Autotrail parked on a side street (not on the caravan park) with stickers on all four sides - Freeloaders not Welcome here.
Sadly this town had lots of nice boutique shops and pubs when we were here last year and now half of them have shut. I wonder why?

View attachment 945882
Any cars parked nearby with same stickers ?

Aug 13, 2017
Funster No
Anyone can complain about not being able to use a part of the road that someone has parked on.

That all the offence of wilful obstruction requires.

S137 Highways Act 1980 Wilful obstruction.

(1)If a person, without lawful authority or excuse, in any way wilfully obstructs the free passage along a highway he is guilty of an offence

I’ll repeat, no-one has a legal right to park on a highway, (marked bays etc are different)
Is there not a clue in the word 'excuse'........you are parked there because there is nothing to say that you can't park there and that you have left sufficient room for all normal people, vehicles and animals to pass and re pass upon the highway.
And is it not so that in a world of no constitution then 'rights' don't really come into it....... you don't need a right to do anything ....you just need to know that what you do is not prohibited by law or some other instrument of prohibition. After which your able to do what you wish with people like yourself ( prior to your retirement and possibly even after it as it falls upon us all) there to defend that ability and our doing of it......
Are you really stating that a singular motor car parked appropriately upon a standard two lane road that has no restrictions for such parking renders the person that placed it there guilty of a criminal offence?......really? 😲

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
We left home in Spain just before Easter and get back home tomorrow, having done two house sits the first in Spain and the second in the UK and travelling 7474 km having stayed at Canterbury P+R, Bury St Edmunds and a campsite (by choice) in Derby £10 a night for 3 nights our total parking cost were nothing in Spain and France and £54 in the UK and God knows how much on fish and chips. :Eeek:

The rest of the time was friends and family or free parking, we had one night we decided to move because of youth noise and wanted to sleep,😁 and another we had tooters after the second night in the morning at 7 o'clock 🙄 but that didn't bother us 😃 we was up because we was meeting friends at 11.30 ;) so they only p!$$Ed off everyone else. :rofl:
So a good trip and never upset too many people. 😁 Bob.

Feb 15, 2014
cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Bessacar E450
Exp
3 years
Not really had any problems in 5 years, had someone drive a long way down the dead end to blast his horn at 4am when we were at noses point and a couple of other occasions around 5 am, had a van driver give us the v sign in Devon when he had to reverse about 10 yards to let us through and i had put my hand up to say thanks assume its just jealousy,have always found locals friendly and helpful.
if i see a motorhome at the supermarket i always go over and ask if they need water or a cassette dump cant understand all the anti motorhome stuff

Jan 2, 2017
Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2010
I know its a basic question but please humour me.......can you explain what you mean by a 'freeloader' ?
Presumably the meaning is:

1. Anyone who is not in the top tier of the income distribution and who therefore receive more in benefits over a lifetime than they pay in taxes.
2. Additionally, those in the top say 10% who are diagnosed with an expensive disease and therefore cost the NHS significantly more than the c. £ 250,000 lifetime average.
3. Also, some in the top tier who live for much longer than average and therefore draw state pensions for a longer than average period.
4. Within the top 10% of income, anyone who received rewards that are not strictly justified by their economic contributions. Ref: many people in the City, consultants and advisers, politicians etc.
5. Also, anyone who, through their endeavours, caused more harm than good. Including those who crashed banks, companies, the national economy, who caused many avoidable deaths through their policies, who crashed public services etc.

It turns out that there is actually just one person who sits on top of the virtue pyramid. This person contributed more in taxes, didn't do any harm, wasn't too ill, and died gratifyingly early.

In comparison with this person everyone else contributed less and was therefore, in relative terms, a freeloader. We should all be ashamed of ourselves.

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
We left home in Spain just before Easter and get back home tomorrow, having done two house sits the first in Spain and the second in the UK and travelling 7474 km having stayed at Canterbury P+R, Bury St Edmunds and a campsite (by choice) in Derby £10 a night for 3 nights our total parking cost were nothing in Spain and France and £54 in the UK and God knows how much on fish and chips. :Eeek:

The rest of the time was friends and family or free parking, we had one night we decided to move because of youth noise and wanted to sleep,😁 and another we had tooters after the second night in the morning at 7 o'clock 🙄 but that didn't bother us 😃 we was up because we was meeting friends at 11.30 ;) so they only p!$$Ed off everyone else. :rofl:
So a good trip and never upset too many people. 😁 Bob.

Except me who could have had a lay in if people had not been tooting at YOU! 😡

Bloody foreigners! 😄

Oct 24, 2020
Funster No
MH
VW
Exp
Since 2017
Are you really stating that a singular motor car parked appropriately upon a standard two lane road that has no restrictions for such parking renders the person that placed it there guilty of a criminal offence?......really? 😲
No offence at all …. until someone else is obstructed by that vehicle, then the offence is technically complete. Say a large vehicle can’t pass or some idiot parks directly opposite your car restricting the width.
(In which case you can both be ticketed!! )

The reality is, in the circumstance you describe, a fixed penalty notice is really really unlikely. Remember, I’m talking technicalities.

I’ll say again, except where marked, ie bays etc, in law, the highway is meant for traversing not for parking.
The onus is on the issuing authority to prove the case.

Times have moved on since the inception of the original legislation which has bern updated, but the offence still exists despite the increase in vehicles and L/Authorities ability to generate cash by charging for parking on bits of highway at their will.

Dec 19, 2020
The salty bit of Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2017
Deviate and slow
Thats all thats needed 👍
That must apply to virtually 99.9% of urban roads. How many of our urban roads are something of a slalom which invariably require one oncoming vehicle to deviate and slow? With the exception of oncoming BMW drivers, normal give and take still enable the majority of us to traverse the King's highway with reasonable facility.

Idiots parking opposite an already parked car is something we all, unfortunately, encounter from time to time. One day legislation may eliminate them from the gene pool.

PS My dad was a copper.

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Eura Mobil Terrestra
Exp
Since 2004
I always understood that the requirement was that a Fire Engine should be able to get through! Although my late Uncle always said they had ways of getting through almost anywhere even to destroying a vehicle, gate etc that barred their way. JockandRita may be able to clarify.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
I always understood that the requirement was that a Fire Engine should be able to get through! Although my late Uncle always said they had ways of getting through almost anywhere even to destroying a vehicle, gate etc that barred their way. JockandRita may be able to clarify.
Your late Uncle was correct Robin, though those measures were usually only implemented if the shout was a "Persons Reported" or "Persons Trapped" especially if multiple calls received. (y) Where there's a will there's a way, as the old saying goes. ;)

I once attended what was reported to us as a "House Fire - Persons Reported". I was driving that day, and entered this narrow road on Blues & Twos with cars parked either side, all the way down to the incident. I went straight through between the lot at a fair rate of knots, without touching a single car/van mirror. Talk about spatial awareness. :hot:
Fortunately the premises was empty upon arrival, so no life risk. 🙏

When we made up our kit and were ready to return to base, my fellow crew members had to walk ahead of me while I reversed out, and push in all the car/van mirrors, as it was so tight I struggled to back out safely without damaging some of them. :whatthe: ..............:LOL:

Cheers,

Jock. :)

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Eura Mobil Terrestra
Exp
Since 2004
Thankyou Jock. We have a few roads in Ipswich where the parking would cause issues. The slightly amusing situation if it wasn't for the stupidity, was that one of the primary schools down one of these roads had a minor fire near the end of the school day. Before the fire engines could get there, the road had filled up with panicking parents cars trying to collect their offspring. Fortunately the fire was put out with extinguishers, but it could have been so different. Now the road is blocked off to traffic at both at school entry and exit times with proper barriers and a couple of people in hi-viz, sometimes with police support. Of course all the parents are complaining, but the police, council and the school are all adamant its a permanent arrangement to ensure emergency vehicles can alaways reach teh premises.

This road runs between two busy roads including the main road out of town towards London.. Parents are just stopping in the roads and outloading the kids who in many cases then have to cross three lanes of traffic. Now the council are discussing making both sections of main road a clearway. There is parking in a supermarket and a small shopping centre within a couple of hundred yards, but the lasy parents don't want to walk.

Sep 30, 2021
South West, UK
Funster No
MH
Wildax PVC
Exp
2yrs in & over 20% of nights 'out'
I know its a basic question but please humour me.......can you explain what you mean by a 'freeloader' ?
A freeloader is a little better than FLT the rest you can guess 😁
I'm not good at guessing.

Please elaborate as I'd really like to understand if I might fit your definition 🤷‍♂️

It could be a welcome compliment (if so, thanks :giggle:) or a condemnation (if so, then it's definitely unjustified :mad:)

Dec 31, 2010
Sunny South Shields
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin i7900
Exp
Since 2010
I'm not good at guessing.

Please elaborate as I'd really like to understand if I might fit your definition 🤷‍♂️

It could be a welcome compliment (if so, thanks :giggle:) or a condemnation (if so, then it's definitely unjustified :mad:)
Like I was told in a earlier post "if the cap fits" only you know that 😁

May 29, 2014
southampton
Funster No
MH
A frame
Exp
since 1985
That's potentially a bit short sighted and definitely a bit snobbish lol. Often the only reason a place is nice is because of the visitors. I.e. the people that come to the nice (expensive) place and pay inflated prices for EVERYTHING. Including campsites 🙄
Sounds like you will be avoiding anywhere nice.
We live some where nice and never have tourist.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back