September 2023 :)
There used to be a term called...............let me think...............oh yes,
WILD CAMPING!

Or doesn't that mean shit these days?

Feb 21, 2022
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Cotswold
I haven't read all of this thread as there's so much of it, however, I'm wondering if I'm unique, or even slightly weird, as I wouldn't mind anyone parking their motorhome outside my house!

Admittedly I have some garden and a 6' hedge so it's not like having a house right on the road with a vehicle parked slap bang in front of my window.

Maybe I am weird. People do look at me funny sometimes! 😁. I don't care. You're welcome to park outside my house. My neighbours might complain but if they start stickering your vehicle I'll have a word in their ear!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
And I pay a lot of money to visit nice places - simples.
Maybe coming to a parking space near you soon? ;)
You are welcome to park in any space near where I live but the road outside my house would not really be suitable due to the location, and my closest neighbour is a terrible driver he has hit three vehicles parked on our road this year🤣

hja

May 8, 2020
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit Prim
Exp
Since 2019
I am not at all sure I understand what all the fuss is about where people park up overnight. We only park in recognised overnight stops, definitely not necessarily camp sites and almost definitely not all singing, all dancing camp sites. We have our own facilities and we use them. A tank of water will last us a several days, grey water more so. Toilet 2 to 3 days. We don’t like most camp sites. CLs and CSs usually OK. Staid at some good Aires especially in Scotland. Would t stop at a pub because we wouldn’t want to have a meal or drinks in the pub, that’s just us, but it suits plenty.
I can absolutely see why someone would want to park up overnight in somewhere remote with great views. Not for us, we are just scaredy-cats! I don’t know why anyone would want to stop overnight on a street, but they do, so fine as long as vehicle is legal, and they leave no trace. Plenty of scope to stay overnight in supermarket car parks, some even allow overnight stops for a couple of pounds, as demonstrated by Darren the Urban Motorhomer.
I understand the general annoyance at some staying long term in e.g. holiday places where day trippers can’t then park. So I can sympathise with minimum stays. It irritates me intensely when I see height limits on parking or height barriers on car parks that stop me enjoying a day out, regardless of where we are stopping overnight.

Feb 20, 2023
Funster No
MH
Benivan
I’m currently at the Grantown on Spey Caravan park in Scotland, as I walked into town I noticed an Autotrail parked on a side street (not on the caravan park) with stickers on all four sides - Freeloaders not Welcome here.
Sadly this town had lots of nice boutique shops and pubs when we were here last year and now half of them have shut. I wonder why?

View attachment 945882
Any cars parked nearby with same stickers ?

Aug 13, 2017
Funster No
Anyone can complain about not being able to use a part of the road that someone has parked on.

That all the offence of wilful obstruction requires.

S137 Highways Act 1980 Wilful obstruction.

(1)If a person, without lawful authority or excuse, in any way wilfully obstructs the free passage along a highway he is guilty of an offence

I’ll repeat, no-one has a legal right to park on a highway, (marked bays etc are different)
Is there not a clue in the word 'excuse'........you are parked there because there is nothing to say that you can't park there and that you have left sufficient room for all normal people, vehicles and animals to pass and re pass upon the highway.
And is it not so that in a world of no constitution then 'rights' don't really come into it....... you don't need a right to do anything ....you just need to know that what you do is not prohibited by law or some other instrument of prohibition. After which your able to do what you wish with people like yourself ( prior to your retirement and possibly even after it as it falls upon us all) there to defend that ability and our doing of it......
Are you really stating that a singular motor car parked appropriately upon a standard two lane road that has no restrictions for such parking renders the person that placed it there guilty of a criminal offence?......really? 😲

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
We left home in Spain just before Easter and get back home tomorrow, having done two house sits the first in Spain and the second in the UK and travelling 7474 km having stayed at Canterbury P+R, Bury St Edmunds and a campsite (by choice) in Derby £10 a night for 3 nights our total parking cost were nothing in Spain and France and £54 in the UK and God knows how much on fish and chips. :Eeek:

The rest of the time was friends and family or free parking, we had one night we decided to move because of youth noise and wanted to sleep,😁 and another we had tooters after the second night in the morning at 7 o'clock 🙄 but that didn't bother us 😃 we was up because we was meeting friends at 11.30 ;) so they only p!$$Ed off everyone else. :rofl:
So a good trip and never upset too many people. 😁 Bob.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 15, 2014
cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Bessacar E450
Exp
3 years
Not really had any problems in 5 years, had someone drive a long way down the dead end to blast his horn at 4am when we were at noses point and a couple of other occasions around 5 am, had a van driver give us the v sign in Devon when he had to reverse about 10 yards to let us through and i had put my hand up to say thanks assume its just jealousy,have always found locals friendly and helpful.
if i see a motorhome at the supermarket i always go over and ask if they need water or a cassette dump cant understand all the anti motorhome stuff

Jan 2, 2017
Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2010
I know its a basic question but please humour me.......can you explain what you mean by a 'freeloader' ?
Presumably the meaning is:

1. Anyone who is not in the top tier of the income distribution and who therefore receive more in benefits over a lifetime than they pay in taxes.
2. Additionally, those in the top say 10% who are diagnosed with an expensive disease and therefore cost the NHS significantly more than the c. £ 250,000 lifetime average.
3. Also, some in the top tier who live for much longer than average and therefore draw state pensions for a longer than average period.
4. Within the top 10% of income, anyone who received rewards that are not strictly justified by their economic contributions. Ref: many people in the City, consultants and advisers, politicians etc.
5. Also, anyone who, through their endeavours, caused more harm than good. Including those who crashed banks, companies, the national economy, who caused many avoidable deaths through their policies, who crashed public services etc.

It turns out that there is actually just one person who sits on top of the virtue pyramid. This person contributed more in taxes, didn't do any harm, wasn't too ill, and died gratifyingly early.

In comparison with this person everyone else contributed less and was therefore, in relative terms, a freeloader. We should all be ashamed of ourselves.

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
We left home in Spain just before Easter and get back home tomorrow, having done two house sits the first in Spain and the second in the UK and travelling 7474 km having stayed at Canterbury P+R, Bury St Edmunds and a campsite (by choice) in Derby £10 a night for 3 nights our total parking cost were nothing in Spain and France and £54 in the UK and God knows how much on fish and chips. :Eeek:

The rest of the time was friends and family or free parking, we had one night we decided to move because of youth noise and wanted to sleep,😁 and another we had tooters after the second night in the morning at 7 o'clock 🙄 but that didn't bother us 😃 we was up because we was meeting friends at 11.30 ;) so they only p!$$Ed off everyone else. :rofl:
So a good trip and never upset too many people. 😁 Bob.

Except me who could have had a lay in if people had not been tooting at YOU! 😡

Bloody foreigners! 😄

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back