Freeloaders not Welcome (74 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Mar 7, 2021
Aberdeen, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-Line 600
I’m currently at the Grantown on Spey Caravan park in Scotland, as I walked into town I noticed an Autotrail parked on a side street (not on the caravan park) with stickers on all four sides - Freeloaders not Welcome here.
Sadly this town had lots of nice boutique shops and pubs when we were here last year and now half of them have shut. I wonder why?

IMG_3229.jpeg

CAB96

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 31, 2021
Stockport, UK
Funster No
MH
T6 Leisuredrive
Exp
4+
Wow!

Someone must be seriously cheesed off to go to the trouble of printing off a sheet of stickers?

Do you think they carry them round at all times just in case, or do you think they had to nip back home to get them :unsure: :LOL:

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
That’s funny does make you think,
We put our village pub on Brit stops as a free stop over and the landlord told me about 70% of motorhomers would come into the bar and make an excuse that the wife was not well so will not be using the bar, after a couple of years the landlord got the hump and asked me to remove the listing ☹️
Now a new landlord has taken over and I have put it on S4S but with a £10 charge redeemable in the pub for food/drinks as yet no Motorhomes have stayed in the first 2 months.
Strange or coincidence? 🙂

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
We put our village pub on Brit stops as a free stop over and the landlord told me about 70% of motorhomers would come into the bar and make an excuse that the wife was not well so will not be using the bar, after a couple of years the landlord got the hump and asked me to remove the listing ☹️
Now a new landlord has taken over and I have put it on S4S but with a £10 charge redeemable in the pub for food/drinks as yet no Motorhomes have stayed in the first 2 months.
We regularly use Pub Stops and always buy a meal. That, for us, is one of the pleasures of motorhoming, occasionally having a meal that we haven’t had to cook or wash up from afterwards.

If a Pub owner is good enough to provide the parking space they deserve some compensation, even if it is only the price of a couple of drinks.

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
Wow!

Someone must be seriously cheesed off to go to the trouble of printing off a sheet of stickers?

Do you think they carry them round at all times just in case, or do you think they had to nip back home to get them :unsure: :LOL:
Or a sad arse with nowt better to do..

I'd stay there and put one under it saying sad arse stay home.

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
There are two types of people in every walk of life including motorhome owners. 'Takers' and 'Givers'. Unfortunately, it does seem in many areas of society, the takers outnumber the givers. Ultimately, the Givers will get fed up and stop giving, so the takers will have no-one to 'use'.

AS said, even of you don't want a meal, a drink and a tip should be enough to keep any landlord happy. It's a bit like a couple of free 'family' events I run at the village hall with a bucket for donations to help cover the costs. Some people will put notes in, others loose change, some nothing at all. I don't watch, and try not to judge as I know some families are really struggling, but I suspect they may be the ones who put something in. Don't get it myself, but it takes all sorts to make the word go round, and I am determined not to make it a ticketed event as the kids from the struggling families need it much more than the wealthier ones who are always 'treating' their children. I could never refuse access to a child because the parents cannot (or even refuse!} to afford it!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 21, 2016
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
Frankia i740
Exp
since 2007
Or a sad arse with nowt better to do..

I'd stay there and put one under it saying sad arse stay home.
There is no way on earth I would be able to sleep in our van with the dogs as well if I was parked on someone's street. Totally taking the piss. I live in the country and if someone parked on the footpath our house is on I would be well pissed off and would let them know :giggle:

Jul 27, 2013
Wilts/Oxon border
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since childhood!
There is no way on earth I would be able to sleep in our van with the dogs as well if I was parked on someone's street. Totally taking the piss. I live in the country and if someone parked on the footpath our house is on I would be well pissed off and would let them know :giggle:
Yes, but we have no idea how long the AutoTrail had been parked up for, or any details as to where it was parked. Ie if it was obstructing someone’s access.
This hostile reaction to any MH just parked on any street is not good, and is part of an increasing ‘motorhomes should be on campsites’ cry which is cropping up more and more, with no thought to the fact that even motorhomes which are booked onto and overnighting on campsites will sometimes want to tootle out and about during the day.
I would be SERIOUSLY pissed off if anyone stuck stickers on mine and I would be reporting it.

Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
We use pub stops and spend, around £50 under what CAMpRA say is the average but, We have found someplaces the councils start reacting to one complaint about motorhomes even if they're parked up for one day.
The problem we all will meet is when someone parks up and overstays or lets their waste drain out as they drive off (which is actually supposed to be against the law AFAIK) then those people who think they pay for privacy will complain about everything BUT also we have noticed that some councils are tending to listen to campsites complaining that people in motorhomes are making them loose profits

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
When ever we stay at a pub we always buy a meal.
Boss not too keen on pubs now as since Covid, prices has gone up and quality has gone way down.
Fed up with pubs that say home cooked food and all they have done it warm it up.

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
Lenny HB I agree with your sentiments re pub food. There is world of difference between home cooked and home prepared.

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
We had a pub stop over the night before we checked into Goodwood.
We spent well in excess of £100 in the place.
The Red Lion not a million miles away from Waterlooville.

Aug 7, 2021
Aberdeenshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Not sure why you’d freeload on a side street in Grantown when you can stay over in the carpark behind the library beside the museum or a couple of other decent spots on the outskirts of Grantown that are walkable into town if they don’t want to pay for the campsite. I’d of thought this is just parked up for a walk around town but then again why not use the carpark.

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
When ever we stay at a pub we always buy a meal.
Boss not too keen on pubs now as since Covid, prices has gone up and quality has gone way down.
Fed up with pubs that say home cooked food and all they have done it warm it up.
When we eat out we expect as good as what we cook at home at least, if not better !
If not I take it up with the staff and won’t eat pub pies in a dish with no pastrie on the bottom as I would call that stew with a flakey turbin on top. 🥧

Oct 24, 2020
Funster No
MH
VW
Exp
Since 2017
We never use campsites, we always street park, in the UK and sometimes use a Stelplatz or Aire in Europe.

We are careful about where we choose to park, never illegally, nor outside someone’s house or where it might cause a problem or we feel we are not wanted. We rarely stay in the same place more than one night, as we enjoy exploring.

In the last three years, we have covered over 30k miles touring the UK and Europe and not once had a problem.

We have had 3 occasions where folks have knocked on our door, each time has been to admire and ask about the van, not to complain.

So it seems that we are freeloaders and long may it continue.

Last edited:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Not sure why you’d freeload on a side street in Grantown when you can stay over in the carpark behind the library beside the museum or a couple of other decent spots on the outskirts of Grantown that are walkable into town if they don’t want to pay for the campsite. I’d of thought this is just parked up for a walk around town but then again why not use the carpark.
Perhaps the stickers were stuck on when he was in the car park but you would have thought he would have removed them.

Oct 24, 2020
Funster No
MH
VW
Exp
Since 2017
No real offence unless they cause damage.

Well very technically they might, as they have to be removed but scoring only 0.0000001 on the richter scale of crime.

dryad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2010
hermit in beautiful coastal east kent
Funster No
MH
citroen relay pvc
Exp
quite a few years now, and loving every minute..
if he was in a side road where there are houses, they could have been visiting someone who lives there, instead of using the free parking nearby..
just a thought..

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2020
Funster No
MH
VW
Exp
Since 2017
if he was in a side road where there are houses, they could have been visiting someone who lives there, especially with free parking nearby..
just a thought..

Just guessing here, but the problem in that locality is probably too many folks doing the same thing, and being careless about it too?
Right outside folks houses? Taking up residents parking places?

Being sensitive to these things goes a long way.

Oct 18, 2021
Mid Devon
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Exp
Camping since 1954, MoHo 2022
No real offence unless they cause damage.

Well very technically they might, as they have to be removed but scoring only 0.0000001 on the richter scale of crime.

I’d have thought that in this day and age it would qualify at the very least as a standalone ‘hate’ crime! ;)

Jan 27, 2018
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
We were in Grantown last week, used the disposal point (£10) the co-op (£22) bakery/cafe (£24) So in all we supported local businesses by spending over £50. We had camped off grid on the outskirts but we prefer to do that than spend our money on using a campsite.

dryad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2010
hermit in beautiful coastal east kent
Funster No
MH
citroen relay pvc
Exp
quite a few years now, and loving every minute..
Just guessing here, but the problem in that locality is probably too many folks doing the same thing, and being careless about it too?
Right outside folks houses? Taking up residents parking places?

Being sensitive to these things goes a long way.

well, we'll never know but maybe the resident told him to park there..
people are often quick to judge and criticise without knowing the facts..

whenever i visited my daughter which is in a restricted area, she provided me with a visitors parking permit so that i could be outside, being disabled, in case i needed anything..

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
Presumably the sticker onners has these pre prepared. They are cowardly faceless people just as abhorrent as keyboard warriors.
Phil
That's my point, a quick civil converstaion explaining why he or she may be aggrieved would have gone a long way depending on why the van was parked of course and if indeed it was a "camper" and not parked for any other unavoidable reason

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back