France In October/November

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Apache 634
Exp
Since 2020
Like most people who have yet to take their MH across the water, I've been reluctant (nervous). I just imagine all sorts of bad stuff befalling me and bottle it - I'm not proud of this.

Anyway, we're too committed elsewhere to go before mid to late October now, so my question is, is touring through France in October/November worth the effort or should I shelve plans now until next summer?

I kinda know once we do it once we'll be addicted, and I know you can mitigate against the bad stuff (breakdowns etc). I've just been a wuss.

d

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
mclouis 373 2022
Exp
New to it but have been caravaning for 38years
Like most people who have yet to take their MH across the water, I've been reluctant (nervous). I just imagine all sorts of bad stuff befalling me and bottle it - I'm not proud of this.

Anyway, we're too committed elsewhere to go before mid to late October now, so my question is, is touring through France in October/November worth the effort or should I shelve plans now until next summer?

I kinda know once we do it once we'll be addicted, and I know you can mitigate against the bad stuff (breakdowns etc). I've just been a wuss.

d
We were in France last October into November. The weather even in the south wasn’t too good.
BUT, we were away in the mh. Away on holiday. Away in France. That was all that mattered. Weather improves your experience of this motorhome friendly country. If you don’t want to travel very far, stick to Normandy and follow the war trails. Nip over the border to Belgium to experience their roads and nip back and say never again as France is soo good. Enjoy and don’t overthink it.

d
The first time I took our m/home to France I was very nervous,but readingup on road signs sticker in the windscreen to keep you on the right side of the road ,you will love it good roads well signed ,I can’t wait to get back been twice this year.your not being a wuss confidence grows .look on you tube or as I did went on google street view and I looked at the road signs and Road numbers and put them on a sheet of paper and my wife just prompted me when first coming off the ferry.

Upvote 0

Anjistar

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
2 months in 2017, continually since October 2020
Just one thing, if it's November, check that where your route goes doesn't require winter tyres (unless you have them already) or snow chains. Areas include parts of the massif central, we noticed a couple of years ago, and approaches to the Alps and Pyrenees. There will be signs on the road.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis-I 414
Exp
4 years, travelling to Greece each year and exploring on the way and back
The weather is the same as the UK until you are south of the Loire. Brittany stands a very good chance of being wet and windy, like Cornwall. Night-time temperatures on the central massif can drop quite a bit. Languedoc should be relatively mild but the planet's weather is a bit crazy these days.
Good call, Languedoc is generally nice in October and into November, and very peaceful..

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back