Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Sep 11, 2020
Aboyne
Funster No
MH
Apache 634
Exp
Since 2020
Like most people who have yet to take their MH across the water, I've been reluctant (nervous). I just imagine all sorts of bad stuff befalling me and bottle it - I'm not proud of this.

Anyway, we're too committed elsewhere to go before mid to late October now, so my question is, is touring through France in October/November worth the effort or should I shelve plans now until next summer?

I kinda know once we do it once we'll be addicted, and I know you can mitigate against the bad stuff (breakdowns etc). I've just been a wuss.

d

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
How long will you have - enough to go well South?
Most sites will be closed and many aires as well. Those open will likely have the water turned off.
I have joined Camping-Car Parks whose aires are usually fully functional throughout winter;

Upvote 0
Dec 19, 2020
The salty bit of Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2017
The weather is the same as the UK until you are south of the Loire. Brittany stands a very good chance of being wet and windy, like Cornwall. Night-time temperatures on the central massif can drop quite a bit. Languedoc should be relatively mild but the planet's weather is a bit crazy these days.

Upvote 0

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Right now I'm beside the Canal du Midi in Southern France.
I appreciate that it's September but we are 'over here' for neigh on, all of October.
We were going to cross the border in the next couple of days to Spain but the storm clouds are gathering down there this week so we'll stay North of the Pyrenees until the weather changes.

That's the beauty of the van life.
You can follow the Sun, (or avoid the wet stuff)

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
Wigan
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI 2012
Exp
Throw the negativity in the bin and try to be positive. The French roads are not as busy as the uk and you can find yourself on free and empty roads. As others have said the weather is uncertain but if your not sun worshipers you can have a great time visiting some of the beautiful towns, villages and cities. Its quite possible that you've chosen the best time to go as a first trip as it wont be packed. France won't be shut, we often travel through France in October and November and there are lots of ACSI sites open and loads of Aires. Keep posting on here as you travel in France for advice on where to go.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend A
Exp
July 09
Languedoc or provence is where I would go this time of year and I would look at the ventusky website or free app to determine which based upon fortnights forecast.

I have done journals for both which may help. They will certainly help with free stuff !!!

Blog 'A month in Provence Throughnal' https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/journals/blog/a-month-in-provence-throughnal.347/

Blog '28 days in Languedoc (including travel)' https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/journals/blog/28-days-in-languedoc-including-travel.297/

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
So easy in France.
In true winter getting water can be more difficult but the Aires will be open, the traffic less-not much of that anyway!
Go for it, take your winter woolies and enjoy the experience, you will be hooked.
The Supermarché are fantastic, the really big ones sell everything-literally everything, and Lidls are good.

Upvote 0
Sep 9, 2024
Funster No
MH
DucatoEriba 2.8 2003
Hi Dave ..we’re based in the south west cherante having relocated here a couple of years ago.
It’s not uncommon to have 24 degrees in oct,nov,déc,Time ..January is a cold month and early feb but as a previous comment made once you do it it will spoil you for sure . Roads really quiet over these months ..Take that leap .!! anything unfamiliar is always daunting to start with.
It’s our first year come October starting our French / Spanish trips and even though we live here we are still a bit nervous ..BONNE CHANCE !!

Upvote 0
Apr 24, 2012
Worcester
Funster No
MH
RMB Concorde
Exp
Since 2010
Just come back from big family ( house) holiday SW Charente - beautiful!!! On our MH to do list!

We drove home in MH once in January - icy cold and available water scarce. We did fine because we carried 5 litre water bottle which was very easy to fill from basin taps when others were switched off!!

Upvote 0

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
We've been in the Charente for four years now and this is the worst year yet. Very wet summer and for the last 10 days it's been seriously windy and cool. Right now it's blowing a gale from the north west, very overcast and 12 degrees (much colder in the wind!). However, when the sun does come out and if you can get out of the wind it's quite warm.

Upvote 0
Jul 6, 2009
Funster No
Go enjoy, any problems there are plenty of good folk on this forum who will have experienced and overcome any problems, who will be more than happy to help, were in Turkey but still in touch. During any really cold weather if you are not already aware use propane not butane as the latter does not perform well in colder weather. If cache of frost put a bucket under your waste tank and leave the valve open so you don’t end up with a frozen wast tank. As stated water is turned off in many parts of France as the colder weather approaches so just carry a container to see. You through a day or so, or bottled water.

Upvote 0

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
Go enjoy, any problems there are plenty of good folk on this forum who will have experienced and overcome any problems, who will be more than happy to help, were in Turkey but still in touch. During any really cold weather if you are not already aware use propane not butane as the latter does not perform well in colder weather. If cache of frost put a bucket under your waste tank and leave the valve open so you don’t end up with a frozen wast tank. As stated water is turned off in many parts of France as the colder weather approaches so just carry a container to see. You through a day or so, or bottled water.

The water taps available at supermarkets and cemeteries are often left on but, as you say, many of the ones at aires are turned off.

Upvote 0
Oct 29, 2019
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
VW LWB Crafter
Exp
Since 2009
We travel on the Continent every Oct/Nov, as we have Kids at school we are restricted on time, in-fact our very first Motorhome trip was from Roscoff to Nantes and back in October. Yes, the weather might not be great but we go with the right mindset and have so far been pleasantly surprised!

So far we've never had a problem in getting water, as a last resort you can just buy it from a supermarket.
The only downside to touring abroad is that is so easy and enjoyable that now we can't be bothered to tour our own country.
No doubt at some point something will go wrong, but you just have to have a plan in place and not stress, we've made plenty of memories from when things have gone wrong.
I'd say go for it, given the choice I'd rather be out and about in the cold and wet than at home moaning to myself about the weather.😆

If you happen to be around Normandy late October we may see you there👍

<M>

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
The only downside to touring abroad is that is so easy and enjoyable that now we can't be bothered to tour our own country.
Agree not worth using a Motorhome in the UK.

Upvote 0
May 24, 2022
Funster No
MH
Converted VW Crafter
Like most people who have yet to take their MH across the water, I've been reluctant (nervous). I just imagine all sorts of bad stuff befalling me and bottle it - I'm not proud of this.

Anyway, we're too committed elsewhere to go before mid to late October now, so my question is, is touring through France in October/November worth the effort or should I shelve plans now until next summer?

I kinda know once we do it once we'll be addicted, and I know you can mitigate against the bad stuff (breakdowns etc). I've just been a wuss.

d
Hi Dave, I just wanted to say the wife and I felt exactly the same as you. In fact it's why we joined this forum and only took our first France trip last year. We went in early Oct and went around Normandy because I like WW2 stuff and just wanted to try a trip to France. We chose the LeShuttle and watched a youtube of the process. We used search4sites and over the 5 days we were there, we booked the first site before going, but the rest we just turned up and was fine. The weather was sunny but sometimes cold and windy. With one day having some rain but only for a few hours.
Other than that, we did the usual of buying the AA Euro Travel Kit AA6318 from Amazon which was about £30. Pre downloading of any maps on the phones. Take some Euros too, the camp site we stayed at didn't like cards.
Overall it was a really nice trip and glad we did it.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back