Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Oct 18, 2021
Northampton, UK
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Apache 700
Exp
Some....good & bad!
Friend of mine has a Benimar on a Ford platform, 2020, 12,000 miles.
He noticed lumpy tickover and loss of power at speed.
We assumed the notorious injectors and they were replaced (£2k), made absolutely no difference. Garage dug deeper and found very low compression on number one cylinder. It has been decided that an exchange engine at £8000 is best plan 😳. If it were mine I would strip it and investigate but time is not on his side.
Seems Ford have forgotten how to make decent engines, I was reading about the horrendous failure rate of their Ecoboost range as well!

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Was chatting the other day to my best mate who is a mechanic. He has a non stop supply of Fords having replacement engines. Not good.

Upvote 0

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
It seems it’s not just Ford , many manufacturers seem to have problems these days as it seem along with pretty much everything else that is manufactured these days the quality is not there anymore.
I always try and buy decent brands but you can’t really trust a brand name anymore these days ⚠️
I better go and have my nap before I get started 😂

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Was chatting the other day to my best mate who is a mechanic. He has a non stop supply of Fords having replacement engines. Not good.
So what is the problem, are they all on the same cylinder, ? Would new rings or whatever is causing the problem cure it rather than a whole engine.

Upvote 0
Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
So what is the problem, are they all on the same cylinder, ? Would new rings or whatever is causing the problem cure it rather than a whole engine.
Different things with different engines. The current couple he is doing are both failed “wet belts”. Another new but pisspoor idea/design. And something that Ford themselves have no interest in. It’s always owner fault.
They are having problems with fitting reconditioned engines as they are poor, and very bad to deal with if any problems occur after fitting. He has just fitted one from Ivor Searle, who are very well know. Made a horrendous noise when first started. They were told by Ivor Searle to fit new timing parts to it (on new engine). Still horrendous noise. Then they were given a second engine, fitted that and now Ivor Searle are saying “nothing wrong” with the previous one, so are charging them for two engines. But they won’t be able to test run the other engine, so are talking crap, and mate has videos of the first engine making the noise.

Getting to a point where any replacement engines will be main dealer only, and we all know what means ££££££, so will just scrap lots of vehicles.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
Friend of mine has a Benimar on a Ford platform, 2020, 12,000 miles.
He noticed lumpy tickover and loss of power at speed.
We assumed the notorious injectors and they were replaced (£2k), made absolutely no difference. Garage dug deeper and found very low compression on number one cylinder. It has been decided that an exchange engine at £8000 is best plan 😳. If it were mine I would strip it and investigate but time is not on his side.
Seems Ford have forgotten how to make decent engines, I was reading about the horrendous failure rate of their Ecoboost range as well!

I would ask the garage how they measured the compression. As if they measured it through a glowplug hole the loss in compression could be something as simple (and cheap) as the copper washer under the injector.

As per the video below. Mind, the video is about a different engine.

Upvote 0
Jun 25, 2013
Funster No
Exp
Old wild camper in transit
Yes duratorg, puma engines where good .are ford engines still manufactured bin bridge end and transported to turkey ?

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Different things with different engines. The current couple he is doing are both failed “wet belts”. Another new but pisspoor idea/design. And something that Ford themselves have no interest in. It’s always owner fault.
They are having problems with fitting reconditioned engines as they are poor, and very bad to deal with if any problems occur after fitting. He has just fitted one from Ivor Searle, who are very well know. Made a horrendous noise when first started. They were told by Ivor Searle to fit new timing parts to it (on new engine). Still horrendous noise. Then they were given a second engine, fitted that and now Ivor Searle are saying “nothing wrong” with the previous one, so are charging them for two engines. But they won’t be able to test run the other engine, so are talking crap, and mate has videos of the first engine making the noise.

Getting to a point where any replacement engines will be main dealer only, and we all know what means ££££££, so will just scrap lots of vehicles.
You can't get your head around these ford engine problems, they used to be unbreakable, and now they are as they are made of chocolate . We have fordson tractors here that havnt seen a spanner in over 50 years.
Where did it all go wrong

Upvote 0
May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
You can't get your head around these ford engine problems, they used to be unbreakable, and now they are as they are made of chocolate . We have fordson tractors here that havnt seen a spanner in over 50 years.

When accountants became more important than engineers.

Upvote 0
Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
If the injectors were fitted fairly recently then they should come out ok. If so a proper compression test should be done, and then apply an air supply to a cylinder if low compression found. The air will escape from either the exhaust, the inlet manifold (air intake), the oil filler, or another cylinder via its removed injector hole. This will indicate where the fault is.

Upvote 0
May 7, 2011
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Kontiki 669
Exp
Since 2010
It seems to me that manufacturers , the last 5-10 years , have had a dead line forced on them to produce ev’s ,so new diesel and petrol engines, to meet emission targets,have suffered with poor design.

Upvote 1
Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
It went wrong when people wanted max power out of a small cubic capacity engine, whilst also trying to be “green”. All this planet saving crap is killing engines, and as so is being far less “green” than they claim.
Your tractor works and always works because it’s simple and basic. No EGR, no throttle body, no add blue, no cat, no DPF. Just simple suck, squeeze, bang, blow. 👌🏻👌🏻

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
It went wrong when people wanted max power out of a small cubic capacity engine, whilst also trying to be “green”. All this planet saving crap is killing engines, and as so is being far less “green” than they claim.
Your tractor works and always works because it’s simple and basic. No EGR, no throttle body, no add blue, no cat, no DPF. Just simple suck, squeeze, blow. 👌🏻👌🏻
engines are more complex these days and whilst the simple analogy you make fits most diesel and petrol engines these days tolerances are much tighter.

I have a 1800 for cylinder engine which produces 200bhp it needs a bit of TLC when starting and doesn’t want to be driven until it reaches 40c even then it needs consideration until it reaches normal operating temp, then you can go nuts with it it revs to 8,200 rpm back in the mid 90’s that engine would be about £10k new

Thinking about more modern engines they do have to be more eco-much finer tolerances for not burning oil and other emissions. I don’t think they are ponies but whilst a view taken is you don’t have to run in a modern engine, I think it’s actually the opposite, sho it mechanics sympathy and slowly increase power and higher rev’s after a few thousand miles. There will be some who disagree but never had an issue on.any vehicle I have treated this way.

Upvote 0

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
I also question some of these very very thin oils these days, which in my opinion aren’t chosen for the health/longevity of the engine.
possibly but wouldn’t use the old 20-50 Duckhams oil on a modern engine the viscosity would probably blow it up 😉

Have to say just mentioning Duckhams makes me recall the smell of opening a fresh can !

Upvote 0

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Based on Experience of Fords over 50 years some older ones were good Cortinas etc but modern ones are badly engineered , poorly built and thirsty and planned to fall apart when outside warranty like German cars
You can’t mean the Pinto engine ! Horrible thing

Upvote 0
Apr 20, 2022
Brighouse, UK
Funster No
MH
Autoquest 155 2016
Exp
Since 2020
Peugeot use some ford engines, as do other manufacturers.
A neighbour just had his wet belt replaced ( before the usual disintegration) £1500.😳
Included loads of other bits including oil pick up filter. Probably just incase the old wet belt had already started to fall apart. Give me chains anyday.

Upvote 0
Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Peugeot use some ford engines, as do other manufacturers.
A neighbour just had his wet belt replaced ( before the usual disintegration) £1500.😳
Included loads of other bits including oil pick up filter. Probably just incase the old wet belt had already started to fall apart. Give me chains anyday.
Yes my Peugeot van uses the ford 2.2 euro 5 and cam chain 👌😎

Upvote 0

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
Those of us with very long memories will remember the three bearing cranks in the early Cortina's etc that bent under pressure. Then the Essex engine with it's plastic timing cogs that just fell apart and the early Transit gearbox with Nylon gears that just stripped... Yes, Ford have always built unbreakable engines... Not.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back