For the love of dogs, Alison Hammond? (2 Viewers)

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
We watched the first episode with Alison and we were disappointed. I think she did a good job but it wasn't a good show. I wonder if the show was ever good or if it was just Paul who made it good

Sep 4, 2017
North West, UK
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1 Transporter
Exp
Never stop learning 😊
Paul O'Grady was unique, glorious one-off, and I don't think there is anyone who could follow him on any programme. When he cuddled a lonely dog who needed some comfort you KNEW he meant it.

Ms Hammond is far too ebullient* and enthusiastic for my taste, and I cannot watch her - everything she does seems to be about HER reaction to it all, she's even ruined Bake Off.

(* my spell check wants to change that to embalmment :ROFLMAO: 😧 :ROFLMAO: )

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Was looking forward to the new show, but we were both disappointed. Don't really think Alison Hammond is right for the role of replacing Paul - not saying he can never be replaced but a far less "ebullient" (yep that's the right word) presenter would make a better job of it IMO.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
The show should have been allowed to quietly disappear.
Which would be a shame as Battersea needs as much help as it can get with the ever-increasing numbers of strays and hand-ins. Whilst it is supposed to be entertainment the show also brings the plight of countless lost and ailing dogs to the world.

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Only ever saw bits of the show, but can't imagine anyone with a 'big' personality being right for the show, need someone who genuinely loves and has empathy for dogs,
I do watch the dog house and think most of those working there would do a much better job

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
We watched the first episode with Alison and we were disappointed. I think she did a good job but it wasn't a good show. I wonder if the show was ever good or if it was just Paul who made it good
It was Paul who made it good. I’ve nothing against her but she is just an “out of the box” presenter who could be telling us all about her love of anything you care to mention

Sep 21, 2016
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
Frankia i740
Exp
since 2007
I love Alison, but not for this show. With Paul you just knew he cried for some of the dogs. I can't watch it anymore it depresses me. I love The Dog House as that is a feel good show.

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Ex

Apart from the 5 year old receptionist.
I think she is ideal for the job, can imagine she grates on some, she manages to put everyone at their ease though and also loves the dogs. Can you imagine the show with your usual, non funster, doctor's receptionist in the post. Most folks would go elsewhere.
wish i had her energy, she always makes me smile.

JRT

Feb 28, 2023
The former North Riding of Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Nearly did....but...
Exp
40 years caravanning.
I think she is ideal for the job, can imagine she grates on some, she manages to put everyone at their ease though and also loves the dogs. Can you imagine the show with your usual, non funster, doctor's receptionist in the post. Most folks would go elsewhere.
wish i had her energy, she always makes me smile.

Yes she is a bit irritating but she is ideal for the shelter and for the program actually.

JRT

Feb 28, 2023
The former North Riding of Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Nearly did....but...
Exp
40 years caravanning.
Which would be a shame as Battersea needs as much help as it can get with the ever-increasing numbers of strays and hand-ins. Whilst it is supposed to be entertainment the show also brings the plight of countless lost and ailing dogs to the world.

That's a fair point, so maybe not let it disappear but do a complete 'rebrand' still based at Battersea and with a different presenter.

It just doesn't work in the same format without O'Grady doing it.

(It's a bit like trying to replace Dave Myers as one of the Hairy Bikers.)

May 17, 2022
Stelling Minnis, Canterbury, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph
Exp
Since 1998
Hands up! I didn't watch the show because I had a gut feeling that it wouldn't be the same without Paul. Problem is that Battersea needs the attention of the public and donations. I am not qualified to put forward suggestions for another presenter but I hope they can eventually settle for someone of Paul's merit.

x17ken

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 11, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo
Exp
Since 2015
Hands up! I didn't watch the show because I had a gut feeling that it wouldn't be the same without Paul. Problem is that Battersea needs the attention of the public and donations. I am not qualified to put forward suggestions for another presenter but I hope they can eventually settle for someone of Paul's merit.
I agree and don't ever forget about the poor inmates. The presenter needs to show real empathy for their plight - which Paul did in bucket loads. He is massive loss to publicising the challenges that Battersea faces day in and day out.

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
It's just not the same. But the world moves on

May 13, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
eight years in theory, a newby in practice!!!
Paul was always going to be a hard act to follow just like HM The Queen. I think that this thread would have been no different no matter who the presenter was(y)

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
The programme and stories are about the DOGS..................

Apr 9, 2022
Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 1984
I didn't see the show either but the person I think would make a good presenter is Martin Clunes. He is another absolute dog lover and animal lover in general.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back