JJ

Mágica
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I am so sorry. I misunderstood and did not realise that there was a probationary period before new members should express opinions.

Please let me know how long you would like me to wait before I am allowed to make any further comments?

Are comments and advice the same thing?

I don't think so.

JJ :cool:

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
N&B Flair 8000ib
Exp
AirOn and off since 95
I am so sorry. I misunderstood and did not realise that there was a probationary period before new members should express opinions.

Please let me know how long you would like me to wait before I am allowed to make any further comments?

Didn't you get the memo?

There's an initiation process you have to attend and pass.

Test 1 ) you have to be able to cross a rugby field with your trousers round your ankles and a marshmallow clenched between your cheeks. Drop the marshmallow you don't get to Reccomend changes.

Test 2) you have to survive 15 days on one tank of water and one toilet cassette whike consuming at least 3 bottles of cheap wine per day. Peeing in a bottle or outside leads to disqualification and no commenting rights will be granted. Peeing in shower is ok but no tank dribbling.

Test 3) you must be able to cook a 3 course nutritous meal for 12 people using only 2 of your hob burners. No fray bentos pies are allowed nor pizza etc. ...if any of the 12 people are ill or left hungry no commenting rights will be granted.

If you complete all 3 tests then your allowed to submit forum changing comments:p

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
The government is using a campaign saying "Don't be a tosser" A play on words meaning don't throw rubbish out of cars, etc. I hope it applies to FLTs but I have my doubts.
By the way an FLT post is always going to be a contentious one.
Phil

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Chausson 628eb Ford 170
Exp
September 2019
Didn't you get the memo?

Test 1 ) you have to be able to cross a rugby field with your trousers round your ankles and a marshmallow clenched between your cheeks. Drop the marshmallow you don't get to Reccomend changes.

Test 2) you have to survive 15 days on one tank of water and one toilet cassette whike consuming at least 3 bottles of cheap wine per day. Peeing in a bottle or outside leads to disqualification and no commenting rights will be granted. Peeing in shower is ok but no tank dribbling.

Test 3) you must be able to cook a 3 course nutritous meal for 12 people using only 2 of your hob burners. No fray bentos pies are allowed nor pizza etc. ...if any of the 12 people are ill or left hungry no commenting rights will be granted.

No problem with all of the above especially the wine and I have been peeing in the shower for years, but the thought of doing without Fray Bentos is too much (although, how the hell would you cook a Fray Bentos on a hob?) Letters on a postcard please.......

If you complete all 3 tests then your allowed to submit forum changing comments:p

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
@Paul and Val I am a little confused now. You have had replies to your post which were positive and in agreement. I too thought your post was very elequent. Are you perhaps being a little sarcastic? If so then an emoji might help to diffuse the possible misunderstanding :)

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Didn't you get the memo?

I thought if you drop the marshmallow you have to neck a pint of Guinness and custard?

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Chausson 628eb Ford 170
Exp
September 2019
Sorry, in my youthful inexperience I missed orrffff the comment to the above quotation from the always excellent Northernraider.

I have no problem with drinking the wine and absolutely no problem peeing in the shower but in any case how the hell would you cook a Fray Bentos on a gas burner? See. I told you I was inexperienced.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
but in any case how the hell would you cook a Fray Bentos on a gas burner? See. I told you I was inexperienced.

Why the hell would you cook a Fray Bentos pie at all? :Eeek: They're meant to be used as wheel chocks not as food,

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
The view from my free Aire right now (y)

32A8B02F-966D-47B7-9680-32028943D8BB.jpeg

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
Sorry, in my youthful inexperience I missed orrffff the comment to the above quotation from the always excellent Northernraider.

I have no problem with drinking the wine and absolutely no problem peeing in the shower but in any case how the hell would you cook a Fray Bentos on a gas burner? See. I told you I was inexperienced.
And as you have paid your £15 , IMO... keep posting

Jim

Ringleader
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Not difficult if the owner of the forum says to stop using it.

That's not going to happen. I've not seen it used in an invidious offensive way against other members. If you see where it is, please report it and I'd certainly deal with it. You are free to disagree. You might think of me as a free speach tosser, but come on, on any sort of scale its not that offensive, water off a ducks back.:D

Southdowners

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
Not difficult if the owner of the forum says to stop using it.

I've seen people being referred to the rule which says something like 'be nice to each other' - I've also seen people banned for not following the rule.

Jim,

You missed off the second para of my message in your quote - so I've included it above.

How does calling someone a freeloading tosser fit with your 'be nice' rule?

Jim

Ringleader
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Jim,

You missed off the second para of my message in your quote - so I've included it above.

How does calling someone a freeloading tosser fit with your 'be nice' rule?

You missed the part of my message where I said if you have seen members not being nice to each other, please report it. Because I've not seen it.

Yes the meaning of the term seems to have slipped somewhat from it's intention and I'm always happy to point to the proper meaning, like I did in this thread, but come on, there are worse things to worry about on a weekend. :D

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
2018, Apache 634 150 Auto
Exp
Since 2015
Can I just be curious and ask if you've ever tried doing those things?
Not being derogatory I just always wonder when folk are dead set against something they haven't tried.

I usually try everything and anything at least twice before deciding if I dont like it or not.

But I've a curious adventurous and often reckless attitude :p

I guess you will, as always, get differing opinions in answer to that question. I think I'll get more popcorn :rofl:

JJ

Mágica
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I will take it from that that you have no answer to my question............

I certainly do have an answer to your question but do you have an answer to mine first...

"Is it a good idea to join a (very successful) Forum and start to advise it to make changes almost straight away?"

...and by way, my Dad is bigger than your Dad...

JJ :cool:

Last edited:

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
2018, Apache 634 150 Auto
Exp
Since 2015
RIGHT THEN! LISTEN UP EVERYONE!

I wonder if we could settle on a nicer and more accurate label for FLT’s?

We don’t particularly like campsites (or the price that often goes with them) but we do like to travel,we respect other people’s views and we don’t ‘freeload’ ........ we pay our way as required.

In NZ the type of motorhoming we do is labelled ‘Freedom Camping’ ......... much nicer I think :) and devoid of the bias that FLT places upon us.

Just a thought ............ :)
Like it, all for FREEDOM! :rofl:

Southdowners

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
You missed the part of my message where I said if you have seen members not being nice to each other, please report it. Because I've not seen it.

Yes the meaning of the term seems to have slipped somewhat from it's intention and I'm always happy to point to the proper meaning, like I did in this thread, but come on, they are worse things to worry about on a weekend. :D

I didn't miss part of your message - just didn't quote your message and mine as well.

I still don't get how it fits with your 'be nice to one another' rule. I don't expect I'll get an answer though.

Its meaning is obvious and so is the way it is used to describe those who choose to stay away from sites. Yet its not deemed offensive?

Yet folk here coyly put asterisks in place of spelling out a 'naughty' word in case offence is caused.... as I said - I simply don't get it.

OP
OP
Jasz
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since April 2016
Yes the meaning of the term seems to have slipped somewhat from it's intention and I'm always happy to point to the proper meaning, like I did in this thread, but come on, they are worse things to worry about on a weekend. :D
I obviously joined after this and only knew it as the more lighthearted meaning! It will be difficult to change the letters to give my understanding of the meaning of someone who doesn't want to pay for their nights stay as some people may miss the thread and accidentally give the original meaning.
Surely no one has to consider themselves as an FLT if they don't like it or they felt it was meant as the definition in post 2!

Last edited:
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
Every motorhome owner in New Zealand must be a FLT then,having been converted to a motorhoming following our holiday there we follow their ethos.....we have a self contained unit so why should we pay for facilities we don't need.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I've had a good think about this and to be perfectly honest if taken literally I don't like the phrase Free Loading as it implies selfishness and Tosser because we all know what the original meaning was, eg someone who is an idiot, pillock etc .. twat (I assume that's the 4-letter word referred to many posts earlier as I can't think of anything else other than twit?).

The issue is really how it is 'read' by others ... some will read it as lighthearted teasing, others as a very derogatory term ... and that's the problem ... there is no 'standard' meaning so perhaps, to save confusion, another term could be invented which everyone understands with different letters.

FUN - Freedom Unlimited Nomad! :D

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Chausson 628eb Ford 170
Exp
September 2019
Why the hell would you cook a Fray Bentos pie at all? :Eeek: They're meant to be used as wheel chocks not as food,

And now you really have gone too far!

Fray Bentos steak and kidney pies were my sole source of sustenance between 18 and 22 years old (that and toast and butter). I may have rickets but I am still alive (just)

Southdowners

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
I've had a good think about this and to be perfectly honest if taken literally I don't like the phrase Free Loading as it implies selfishness and Tosser because we all know what the original meaning was, eg someone who is an idiot, pillock etc .. twat (I assume that's the 4-letter word referred to many posts earlier as I can't think of anything else other than twit?).

The issue is really how it is 'read' by others ... some will read it as lighthearted teasing, others as a very derogatory term ... and that's the problem ... there is no 'standard' meaning so perhaps, to save confusion, another term could be invented which everyone understands with different letters.

FUN - Freedom Unlimited Nomad! :D

Exactly. Its perception

I think your acronym is very apt!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back