FLT's - Why?

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
View attachment 261383
View attachment 261384
@NickNic The first picture was taken at a & Euro Aire and the 2nd at a 10 Euro site. We stayed at the first for 4 nights and explored the area (there was plenty to see) and the 2nd for 2 nights.
I'm sorry that some people cannot justify spending these sums due to their circumstances and hope they enjoy the places they stay.

Nothing to do with money. That doesn't come into it at all. I just don't see the point of having a self sufficient vehicle and using it as a caravan. I happily pay for aires that are more expensive than the nearest campsite.

Most of the aires we use are much nicer than your campsite picture by the way. The wild spots are far far better.

In the UK it's all about location for us and 99% of UK campsites fail big time on that.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Campsites tend to have laundry facilities though - which is why we tend to use a site at least once every 10 days.

Not all sites do and some Aires have laundry facilities too

Best to check first!

No aires with laundry facilities where we were (I checked) but I know some do as do some French supermarkets.

I did notice that in France quite a few launderettes had shut down.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
What! We hand wash(y):D2

Not bedding and towels though? We did take two full sets but need to change them at least every week. Actually it isn't the washing that is difficult it is the getting stuff dry.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Not bedding and towels though? We did take two full sets but need to change them at least every week. Actually it isn't the washing that is difficult it is the getting stuff dry.
Yes we do (err well yes SHE (who must be obeyed!) does! It’s amazing what you can do with a mountain stream and a couple of rocks ;)

Rosemary1

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
1 year
Having worked for a warehousing and haulage company for many years I opened this thread wondering what the problem with Fork Lift Trucks was(n)

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
I'm sorry that some people cannot justify spending these sums due to their circumstances and hope they enjoy the places they stay.
Nobody has to justify anything, what they spend or where they stay or how they use their motorhomes.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Best to check first!

No aires with laundry facilities where we were (I checked) but I know some do as do some French supermarkets.

I did notice that in France quite a few launderettes had shut down.
Well that obviously does depend on where you are of course. I did say some not all

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
2018, Apache 634 150 Auto
Exp
Since 2015
I love having a self sufficient vehicle and using it as I see fit, not as others think I should use it; fook all to do with them. And, I paid for it, right. Never "wild" camped, not saying I wouldn't but the wife won't do it so it is campsites for us. Crack on as you see fit but be nice :D(y):D

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
I love having a self sufficient vehicle and using it as I see fit, not as others think I should use it; fook all to do with them. And, I paid for it, right. Never "wild" camped, not saying I wouldn't but the wife won't do it so it is campsites for us. Crack on as you see fit but be nice :D(y):D
I have done plenty of wild camping, but following the 'rules' can be a bit stressful. Being ready to depart your pitch within one minute or so for example is often inconvenient. However I have had to depart from a few places in Europe so following that rule is important. Never had to do an emergency departure from a campsite.....anywhere.

TM59

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Rapido V55 PVC
Exp
since 2003
We mainly use sites, not for their facilities but for the security and our peace of mind. We explore the area just the same as those who find a parking place. We like to get out our table, chairs, barbacue etc and leave them out whilst away from the van knowing they will be there when we get back. We cycle so can be away from the van most of the day. Yes I appreciate some have encountered theft on some sites. Basically using the motorhome in this way suits us. Isn’t it great we are not all the same. Use your van as you wish, you worked hard for it, and most importantly ignore the opinion of others.

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
I've got twin hands!!!
Ah, but you come back to Totana and have that amazing, push a button invention, that is an automatic washing machine. You don't have to race across the camperstop to beat Mrs @Hagstrom to it, or elbow someone out of the way for a place on the washing line.

I gaze down on you with envy when we come back from a cycle ride. You are showered, laundry done and eating lunch, while Colin and I are still in recovery mode, collapsed in our chairs, outside the van.

OP
OP
Jasz
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since April 2016
Oops! My missus has just heckled across the van to me........... she says we travel to see and explore the countries, NOT the campsites!

Haha :rolleyes:
We also travel to see the countries, but we would rather see areas of it in more detail by bike or on foot rather than driving!

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
We also travel to see the countries, but we would rather see areas of it in more detail by bike or on foot rather than driving!
That is totally irrelevant to staying on a site or not. You start a controversial thread and say its not then you come up with a stupid statement like that.

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
We are FLT's, but i have it in my mind that to**er is not a nice word, not for any other reason. (Pamala speaking) So we like to be known as Free Loading Travellers.

Just as an aside, who's to say any Funster is practicing anti-social behaviour i.e. Inappropriately dumping waste. Members here, we would hope, would have learnt that that's not the etiquette of being a FLT Funster, let's hope that is the case.

OP
OP
Jasz
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since April 2016
That is totally irrelevant to staying on a site or not. You start a controversial thread and say its not then you come up with a stupid statement like that.
It didn't have to be that contentious but it got highjacked on post 2!
I agree that it is totally irrelevant to staying on a site or not. I should have made it clearer that was my reason for wanting to stop for 2 or 3 nights somewhere rather than only 1.

Last edited:

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
N&B Flair 8000ib
Exp
AirOn and off since 95
Its not about a view, its about respecting the local area , and what it has available.

Am i free to park outside your house , whenever i want, without impunity, and live out of my motorhome?

And recommend that others do and can?

This is exactly the root of the problem, the fact that it is LEGAL, is also taken as justification that is acceptable, and in my book it just isnt.

Our 'traveller' friends could also be said to be doing nothing illegal, but they are treated as scum, i would like to know where the line is drawn between the two.

Its like trying to compare living next to someone who has a dog that barks all the time (as we do) , or having loads of different people deciding to come and let their dog bark outside your house. The result is the same, and ultimately , people get pissed off and take action. I dont blame them in the slightest.

I you want to stay , you should be prepared to pay.
I prefer the hippy approach

The earth was a gift from mother nature at some point all property on earth was stolen or purchased from someone who stole it

Legal or not if I do no harm and respect the land I'm on then in my view I'm just as entitled as the person who first claimed it as theirs :)

That said I tend to park and leave a place undisturbed or better than I found it.

I jokingly call myself a flt but I contribute plenty to local areas I visit.

Don't really care if those who think I'm wrong don't approve.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
N&B Flair 8000ib
Exp
AirOn and off since 95
Wild campers?
The puritans ( aka goody two shoes ) will come along and quote legislation created by boffins to claim it isn't wild camping

Personally if I want to call it wild camping I bloody well will

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back