Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jan 3, 2020
Mile Oak, Tamworth
Funster No
MH
McLouis
Exp
Since 2008
As the post below says we are looking for a new Motorhome.
Both have Fiat Cabs.
All my previous Mohos have been Fiat so I guess I feel an affinity to them.
It would broaden my choice if I brought Ford into the mix..
Anyone have thoughts on Ford or Fiat?
( I have sat in one..just feels different, maybe not so airy or spacious?)
Clemmo

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
I have a 2.3 with a 9 speed auto.
The 2.3 is a very different engine to the current 2.2. The 2.2 is an entirely new engine not a progression from the 2.3.

Edit. I didn’t think the 2.3 was as bad as an old tractor when I had one until this year.

Upvote 1
Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
The 2.3 is a very different engine to the current 2.2. The 2.2 is an entirely new engine not a progression from the 2.3.
Fiat and ford both don't have a great history of getting new engines and gearboxes right straight away would it be safer to buy one that's had time to show any design faults?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
Fiat and ford both don't have a great history of getting new engines and gearboxes right straight away would it be safer to buy one that's had time to show any design faults?
Time will tell but I did buy the 5 year warranty so not feeling particularly vulnerable. Truth is I chose the motorhome because I wanted a Carthago/Malibu and the Fiat bit was incidental. However I was very pleasantly surprised by the new engine, new instrument display and new cruise control.

Upvote 0
Oct 18, 2021
Northampton, UK
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Apache 700
Exp
Some....good & bad!
As previously posted, I also have a friend with a Ford based Benimar that is having a replacement engine fitted at 12000 miles.
Can't deny they are nice to drive, I had one too for a while, you just never know how long that fragile engine will last before it let's you down.

Upvote 0
Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
As previously posted, I also have a friend with a Ford based Benimar that is having a replacement engine fitted at 12000 miles.
Can't deny they are nice to drive, I had one too for a while, you just never know how long that fragile engine will last before it let's you down.
I wonder how the cost compares to comfortmatic gearbox problems! They both have issues to be fair just different ones a lot seem to think the one they own is better I'm not sure if that's because they thought that and it's the reason they bought it or talking themselves into a sense of safety!

Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
I don't think the 2.2 is entirely new. And they've been using the 8 speed gearbox in Citroens for a while.

Ford's Eco engines and the 6 speed auto gearbox have been going for about a decade.

Upvote 0
Sep 14, 2022
Funster No
MH
Swift Bessacarr 512
Previous Motor home was Fiat. Present one is Ford and the ride and fuel economy much better. The identical van was available on both Fiat and Ford chassis with a 'minor' cost difference of 10K. Guess which we went for? After 18 months have not regretting going with Ford.

Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2023
Leyland
Funster No
MH
Chausson 640
I have a Ford engine (2019). Just had 4 fuel injectors replaced on an extended 5 year warranty. It leaves me thinking will it happen again? 🤷‍♂️ It’s a lovely comfy drive with the auto gearbox though, plenty of umph. Can’t comment on the Fiat.

Upvote 0
May 19, 2023
Funster No
MH
Adria V65SL Abarth
Not sure the wet belt is really an issue with Fords, after all Fiats need the timing belt changing too, and at the same age.
The Ford issue with injectors seems to have been solved with a software update and a change of make of injectors.
The Ford is far quieter to drive, the Fiat sounds like an old tractor.
On my Fiat, the cruise control is awful, it will allow the speed to drift by as much as 5mph.
The Ford can be uprated to 4200kg without any modifications, whereas the standard Fiat chassis can only be uprated to 3850kg unless suspension and tyres are uprated.
For some reason the Ford auto is not suitable for towing anything above 750kg.
The Ford steering wheel has a tilt function, the Fiat does not.
The theft issue was sorted years ago with a change of door locks, Fiats are just as likely to be stolen these days.
My 2.2 9 speed fiat has a tilt steering and some fiats have a chain 2.3 and 2.0 and even some older 2.3 depending on the day it was made the fiat Citroen and Peugeot are all very weak on engine quality just keep them well maintained. Service costs at the dealer is a joke and the new SGW locked eco means you need dealer software to clear or fix any issues. Don’t think of trying to bypass it as it will cause further issues later. My van was up plated to 4000kg no issues not upgrades needed but mine is a LWB

Upvote 1
Apr 26, 2016
South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur LVX 9
Exp
since 2000
Both have Fiat Cabs.
Clemmo
From what I have read on the current Ford range
they have gone from the "must have" van for the white van man to
"must not have one"
there have been huge issues with injectors and the cam belt now runs in oul
that is a cam belt not a cam chain
think very carefully before deciding
I do not know whether Ford have or are addressing the above issues

Upvote 0

Jonno1103

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2017
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
F Line F70
Exp
Since 2012
If you intend on fitting a tow bar, take a close look at the Fords, as the newer ones have tiny tow capacities (750kg max, which rules out anything bigger than a motorbike )
That's not quite accurate. Yes the likes of Swift, Bailey & Benimar only have a 750kg max but Auto Trail has 1000kg & Roller Team 1500kg. Chausson do too but they're bit murky on the figure so I assume it's pretty low.

One of the main differences is that both AT & RT build on a longer moho specific chassis & add fully homologated extensions.

Upvote 0

Jonno1103

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2017
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
F Line F70
Exp
Since 2012
Have you driven anything with the new Fiat engine? It is not remotely like an old tractor.
Edit. The new cruise control is also a big improvement.
Stellantis love it so much they're replacing it & the gearbox in 2025.

Upvote 0

Jonno1103

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2017
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
F Line F70
Exp
Since 2012
From what I have read on the current Ford range
they have gone from the "must have" van for the white van man to
"must not have one"
there have been huge issues with injectors and the cam belt now runs in oul
that is a cam belt not a cam chain
think very carefully before deciding
I do not know whether Ford have or are addressing the above issues
It's still the best selling light commercial (LCV) in the UK. None of the Sevel platforms feature in the top 10.
This is from the Society of Motor Manufacturers & Traders (SMMT)
1Ford Transit Custom40,865Ford Transit Custom review
2Ford Transit28,280Ford Transit review
3Vauxhall Vivaro20,477Vauxhall Vivaro review
4Ford Ranger18,679Ford Ranger review
5VW Transporter17,487VW Transporter review
6Renault Trafic16,041Renault Trafic review
7Mercedes Sprinter15,799Mercedes Sprinter review
8Citroen Berlingo14,065Citroen Berlingo review
9Toyota Hilux10,888Toyota Hilux review
10Ford Transit Connect10,856Ford Transit Connect review

The last time a Sevel platform featured in the top 10 was 2018 - the Peugeot Boxer was ranked 10th.

The one which is suffering is Mercedes with the Sprinter which has fell from 2nd in 2020 to 7th today.

As VAG will be using both the Custom & the Ecoblue engine from 2025 for the T7 & the engine for the Crafter it must be very disappointing for white van man.

Upvote 0
Sep 28, 2015
Kingston upon Hull, East Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
2001 Caravans 2011 Motorhomes
A few of years ago my friend bought a 2016 2.2 Transit Custom off one of his builder mates because his mate was upgrading to the newer 2.0ltr version.
My friend had no trouble at all with his 2.2 and even made money on it when he sold it last year, whilst the 2.0ltr was off the road repeatedly and cost the owner thousands in repairs and lost days work. He’d got it from a Ford main dealership and had the injection issues and the wet belt issues with virtually no interest from Ford.

Upvote 0
May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
Stellantis love it so much they're replacing it & the gearbox in 2025.
They are replacing the 9 speed gearbox which they introduced in 2019/20 but as far as I can make out they are doing this for commercial reasons (cost) not because they don’t love it. The new engine is already in the series 9. The press release for the Series 10 Ducato talks about a new 8 speed gearbox and the latest generation of diesel engines, nothing about another new engine.

Upvote 0
Oct 4, 2019
Milford on Sea
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2005
Both of ours were fords but the next one could be fiat or ford. It probably won't be a mercedes as I can't see the advantage for the price difference
I know this is Ford v Fiat but since you introduce Merc my opinion is don't touch them. We had a V6 Merc and although it's a nice engine the price of servicing and parts is astronomical.

Upvote 0
May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Chausson 788
Exp
20 years
Is the not a chassis recall on Fords due to faulty welds?
https://car-recalls.eu/ford-transit-defective-weld-seams-frame-kba/
Yes there is a recall, had mine checked ( no problem found) I suspect as the chassis could be cracked somewhere or welds broke it could be certain motorhome builders may not be fitting the bodies correctly, in the Rigid truck world you have to fit a body to a chassis in a particular way, some bodies were fitted fixed to the chassis at the front and sprung loaded bolts and towards the rear to allow chassis flexing, When I look how some Motorhome bodies are fixed they have any old fixing ,and looks like that will do.
I've had Fiat 9 speed auto's and think the drive ( not the gearbox is a more positive drive ,where Ford on acceleration tends to pull to left or right slightly if you are not going in a straight line , I prefer the Ford Auto gearbox .

Upvote 0
Jun 22, 2020
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
Expanding the options beyond just Fiat or Ford, Parker’s uses extensive data to review which are the most reliable mechanically (breakdowns / warranty). The top 10 is in the list in the link below, but the Top 3 are:

1. Mercedes Sprinter
2. VW Transporter
3. Ford Transit

Fiat Ducato doesn’t make it into the top 10

Upvote 0
Sep 18, 2023
Guildford, UK
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2022
Both have Fiat Cabs.
Clemmo
We nearly bought a Ford after our Autocruise (Fiat) was destroyed by druggies in a crash I was ready to sign on the line when I suddenly thought to check that I could see out of the windscreen in the rain. I have a relatively long body and we had had to have the driver sear lowered in the Autocruise. I found that I would not be able to see out of the Ford in the rain because the windscreen wipers didn't cover the part of the screen through which I would be looking, so regrettably we had to pass on that one. We subsequently found a Fiat (Globecar Campscout) where I had no problem at all with height. The message is to just make sure that you actually drive the vehicle in all circumstances before you buy. I learned to drive in a minivan where I had no difficulties with being able to see out of the screen. When my wife and I married we were taken from the church to the ceremony in a beautiful Rolls-Royce - I couldn't sit up in the back due to lack of headroom, so it was an excruciating journey.

Upvote 0
Aug 2, 2022
Funster No
MH
Sun Living S70 SC
This is not anecdotal, my next door neighbour had to write off his food focus, eco engine shot.
Whilst we were driving to Turkey, in convey, my friends Chauson with a Ford engine broke down in Serbia, 2 injectors had to be repaired. Finally back in the UK they did finally replace the engine, not sure how much they replaced.
Initially I wanted a Ford, trusted manufacturer, worldwide.
I’m glad I’ve got a Fiat,hearing about the two incidents above but who knows?
Lovely to drive, 9 speed auto brilliant.
I think nowadays there is not much between modern vehicles, very much a lottery!

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2022
Hampshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg
Exp
Since 2005
I know this is Ford v Fiat but since you introduce Merc my opinion is don't touch them. We had a V6 Merc and although it's a nice engine the price of servicing and parts is astronomical.
My daily is a 3lt V6 diseasel Merc approaching 60k miles, 1 set of pads at 48K; as the previous S Klasse and lesser cylinder E Klasse x2, and our MH over the last 21 years and over 500k miles have been MB diseasel. Learn the game with the MB Service Plan ie don't buy till B service then you get the ATF change included; and they are cheaper than Nissan Qasquai for servicing. Build a relationship with your main dealer principal and you win.

The only parts have been pads; and the occasional discs if kept to over 80k miles, only 1 E Klasse had discs in 110K miles, the S Klasse at 84k for discs including towing a large caravan for 7 years. You obviously have to challenge the oft up selling 'Service Advisors' who tell you at every service it needs discs and pads, wiper blades (regularly wipe with vinegar and they last longer than the car ownership, in our case average 8 years).

The MH on a Sprinter chassis, 2lt diseasel and 9g gearbox does not have a Service Plan option, but MB offer reduced rates of servicing and parts as they recognise the low mileages common as opposed to a delivery van. Service every 2 years.

You also get the Mobilo breakdown cover if you use MB for servicing every 2 years.

After 4 years old you get cheaper servicing labour rates and parts, if required.

Main dealers have to pay for those shiny showrooms and coffee and biscuits and have realised fair servicing gets owners through the door. Who may buy another new car.

Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2023
Cirencester, UK
Funster No
MH
Wildax Solaris XL
Exp
Brand new
Both have Fiat Cabs.
Clemmo
We have a Ford Transit Custom LWB for work and a Ducato for play. It’s the wrong way round. The Ford is far better to drive.

Upvote 0
May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
We have a Ford Transit Custom LWB for work and a Ducato for play. It’s the wrong way round. The Ford is far better to drive.
Are they both the same age? All models progress and I sometimes wonder if we are comparing like products. My last Transit was 20 years ago and it was no fun to drive but I haven’t brought it into this conversation before because things will have moved on a lot. I can comment on Ducato, my 2019 one was nicer to drive than my 2015 Sprinter and my 2024 Ducato is vastly nicer to drive than either of the older ones.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back