Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jan 3, 2020
Mile Oak, Tamworth
Funster No
MH
McLouis
Exp
Since 2008
As the post below says we are looking for a new Motorhome.
Both have Fiat Cabs.
All my previous Mohos have been Fiat so I guess I feel an affinity to them.
It would broaden my choice if I brought Ford into the mix..
Anyone have thoughts on Ford or Fiat?
( I have sat in one..just feels different, maybe not so airy or spacious?)
Clemmo

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Personally I choose layout and payload first then see what chassis it is available on.

If what I want is on more than one chassis then it’s down to cost , reliability and personal choice for me.
I don’t think there is a lot between Fiat and Ford in either case so it’s your personal choice I guess.

Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Ford is nicer to drive and you can get the auto box for a hell of a lot less than the 9 speed on the Fiat. Fiat is generally reliable with airbags and under filled autos hitting a minority of vehicles. Ford had injector issues (is this now resolved?) and the wet belt is a potential concern.

As already mentioned, I think layout and availability are probably more important.

Upvote 0
Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
Ford is nicer to drive and you can get the auto box for a hell of a lot less than the 9 speed on the Fiat. Fiat is generally reliable with airbags and under filled autos hitting a minority of vehicles. Ford had injector issues (is this now resolved?) and the wet belt is a potential concern.

As already mentioned, I think layout and availability are probably more important.
Ditto.

Upvote 0
Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Both of ours were fords but the next one could be fiat or ford. It probably won't be a mercedes as I can't see the advantage for the price difference

Upvote 0
Oct 11, 2016
Bognor Regis
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 69-4
Exp
6 years
Our previous motorhomes have been fiats. Current one is a Ford. The Ford cab is less like a van than the fiat and has a modern layout. The auto box is also a plus. But as has been said it will be the layout of the motorhome that needs to be considered first.

Upvote 0
May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
Not driven the latest Ford but the new Fiat 2.2l engine and 9 speed automatic are very much better than previous incarnations. The dash and steering are also much nicer on my Series 9, even has a readable Speedo.

Upvote 1

Jonno1103

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2017
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
F Line F70
Exp
Since 2012
Pro's for the Ford... Better engines, modern widetrack moho specific chassis, higher up plate capacity without any modification, comfier driving position, decent cab equipment inc heated screen. 3 year warranty, Transit Centre service plans available. less Adblu thirst.

Cons for the Ford. Moho specific risk of internal condensation irrigating into the BCM - Ford have a fix. Condensation caused by an engine air valve can damage injector heads if the moho is used infrequently - there's a software upgrade to close said valve. towing capacity not so good, max is around 1500kg on a Roller Team. Not yet bolted to an ALKo chassis, Hymer will do this next year with Fords 10 speed auto RWD.

Pro's for the Fiat... it's more readily available due to historical popularity.

Con's for the Fiat... weak engines - the need the expensive 9 speed auto. Aged design. Aged heavy standard Fiat chassis. Possibly cost prohibitive to up plate greater than 3850kg due to the removal of a rear leaf spring replaced with an anti roll bar. 2 year warranty.

Fiat are better heavier, 180 auto on an ALKo chassis.

Upvote 0
Jun 22, 2020
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
Found Ford much more comfortable to drive, and driving position more adjustable compared to Fiat. We had no problems with Ford injectors, but the wet belt seems have potential for significant problems in the future (lots of makes have a wet belt, not just Ford)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Jonno1103

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2017
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
F Line F70
Exp
Since 2012
Found Ford much more comfortable to drive, and driving position more adjustable compared to Fiat. We had no problems with Ford injectors, but the wet belt seems have potential for significant problems in the future (lots of makes have a wet belt, not just Ford)
The wet belt lifespan very much depends on who services it. Far too many independants are putting the wrong oil in them and giving them an engine flush as Ford, like most of them nowadays won't share the service data in order to keep the business 'in house'. They're also stopping recognition of engine services invoiced on paper too. Oil life is becoming a thing now too, again with many manufacturers unwilling to release how to reset it.

The auto industry is getting it's elbows out.

Upvote 0
Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
If you intend on fitting a tow bar, take a close look at the Fords, as the newer ones have tiny tow capacities (750kg max, which rules out anything bigger than a motorbike )

Upvote 0
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
The injector problems on the Ford, experienced by my neighbour, means I would never buy one. His motorhome, at 4.5 years old and 12,500 miles, requires a new engine at approx. £10k as a result.

Despite the fact that it has been diagnosed as a result of the faulty injectors Ford will not contribute to the cost.

Upvote 0
Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
The injector problems on the Ford, experienced by my neighbour, means I would never buy one. His motorhome, at 4.5 years old and 12,500 miles, requires a new engine at approx. £10k as a result.

Despite the fact that it has been diagnosed as a result of the faulty injectors Ford will not contribute to the cost.
Wow that must be sickening for him.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Feb 4, 2009
Vale Of Glamorgan
Funster No
MH
Autotrail F70
Exp
I have had fiat's and peugeot on my last vans this is my sixth van, and hopefully my last it's a Ford 170hp auto and its got to be the most comfiest van to drive, the auto is excellent you can tow a ton with it it has bags of power and so far it returning 29 to the gallon with 6000 on the clock.

Upvote 0

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
They are both lovely to drive in auto form (Ford 6 speed and Fiat 9 speed) but the Ford can be more expensive to insure as it’s security isn’t ideal and the spares market for stolen parts is thriving.
As for engine issues, there isn’t really a lot between them. My 68 plate Ford Custom auto work van has done 68k trouble free miles except a yearly service and a few sets of brake pads. Saying that I won’t have one as a motorhome as the worry of theft is higher than Fiat for me.

Upvote 0
Oct 5, 2021
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet
Somewhat relatedly I had a problem with an SMAX just out of warranty (some years ago). It needed a new dual mass fly wheel which was an expensive job, and a know issue in fords at that time. Ford were completely unsympathetic and I had it done independently. Having said the car was fine for years after

Upvote 0
Nov 14, 2018
Europe
Funster No
MH
A grey one
Exp
since 1996
I know at least one insurance company who as if the base vehicle is Ford. Maybe something to do with being easier to steal. We've had one Ford, five Fiat, so sort of got used the the Fiat.

Upvote 0
Jan 23, 2022
Cornwall, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift 686
Exp
Escaping since 2012
Not experienced ford MHs. I do have the pleasure of driving a minibus occasionally. I'm not overly impressed with the engine capability, compared to my fiat 3.5t MH (2.3l 96kw) the ford minibus carrying 6 adults was poor (2.0l 96kw).

Also 22 plate ford vans had issues with adblue. I believe it is sorted now. I have heard of the theft issues but this was a while ago.

Upvote 0
Oct 6, 2021
Funster No
MH
PVC
Not sure the wet belt is really an issue with Fords, after all Fiats need the timing belt changing too, and at the same age.
The Ford issue with injectors seems to have been solved with a software update and a change of make of injectors.
The Ford is far quieter to drive, the Fiat sounds like an old tractor.
On my Fiat, the cruise control is awful, it will allow the speed to drift by as much as 5mph.
The Ford can be uprated to 4200kg without any modifications, whereas the standard Fiat chassis can only be uprated to 3850kg unless suspension and tyres are uprated.
For some reason the Ford auto is not suitable for towing anything above 750kg.
The Ford steering wheel has a tilt function, the Fiat does not.
The theft issue was sorted years ago with a change of door locks, Fiats are just as likely to be stolen these days.

Reactions: Vic
Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Not sure the wet belt is really an issue with Fords, after all Fiats need the timing belt changing too, and at the same age.
The Ford issue with injectors seems to have been solved with a software update and a change of make of injectors.
The Ford is far quieter to drive, the Fiat sounds like an old tractor.
On my Fiat, the cruise control is awful, it will allow the speed to drift by as much as 5mph.
The Ford can be uprated to 4200kg without any modifications, whereas the standard Fiat chassis can only be uprated to 3850kg unless suspension and tyres are uprated.
For some reason the Ford auto is not suitable for towing anything above 750kg.
The Ford steering wheel has a tilt function, the Fiat does not.
The theft issue was sorted years ago with a change of door locks, Fiats are just as likely to be stolen these days.
The issue is that wet belts have been failing far earlier than their recommended change mileage/age. They shed bits into the oil and clog the pickup, starving the engine. There are class suits for the smaller engines that use the same technology. And changing a wet belt it is far harder than an external belt.

Upvote 1

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back