Fiat “Open door” warning on our new Coachbuilt MH (1 Viewer)

CRD

Apr 15, 2021
Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670 DL
Exp
3 Years
We have recently bought a new Adria Matrix coachbuilt MH and are now getting a dashboard warning that there is an open door.

When this first occurred, we stopped and checked the two cab doors and the hab door, but they were all closed properly. The warning now comes on very frequently and while very annoying, doesn’t prevent the doors being locked when the van is stationary.

The chassis is a series 9 with auto gear box.

Any thoughts or suggestions are much appreciated.

Thanks

Nov 1, 2023
Funster No
MH
Adria
Garage doors aren't part of the central locking so wouldn't affect the warning on the dash.
That's what we thought when we bought the Matrix new but, having wandered round checking, it was the only thing that made a difference - twice

Reactions: CRD
Upvote 0
Apr 12, 2024
Cambridge, UK
Funster No
MH
LMC Liberty 652
Exp
Many Years
What makes you think it is the hab door?
On my first motorhome based on the Fiat x250 I had the same issue as yourself and slamming a cab door sometimes stopped it. I eventually discovered a loose relay in the driver side door pillar. Got the cover off and pushed the relay back in its holder and all was well. Maybe worth having a look at that.

Upvote 0
Feb 19, 2020
North Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670SC
Exp
On my first motorhome based on the Fiat x250 I had the same issue as yourself and slamming a cab door sometimes stopped it. I eventually discovered a loose relay in the driver side door pillar. Got the cover off and pushed the relay back in its holder and all was well. Maybe worth having a look at that.
On mine the warning on the dash says rear door open.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

CRD

Apr 15, 2021
Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670 DL
Exp
3 Years
That's what we thought when we bought the Matrix new but, having wandered round checking, it was the only thing that made a difference - twice
The garage doors on our new Matrix are definitely not part of the central locking system.

<edit>I wonder if there are sensors to detect if they are open though</edit>

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

CRD

Apr 15, 2021
Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670 DL
Exp
3 Years
A very good point. The error message just says “Door Open”.

We had a similar issue with our PVC on a series 7 Fiat and that message said rear door open, and was caused by the connector on the side door, which was fixed by a Fiat Professional garage.

We’re experiencing quite a few teething issues with this new Adria Matrix 😢

Upvote 0

knickam

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 5, 2020
Fraserburgh, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
2 years
The photo shows the two sensor mechanisms on our hab door. I played around with two protruding tabs to make sure that they hadn’t seized, and that helped on a journey this morning, however the warning light came on again this afternoon.

The problem definitely seems to be caused by this sensor mechanism on the hab door.
Hi, We get this problem on our matrix. Rub the contacts with fine emery and use contact spray. We have 4 contacts on our door.
This will be the first thing a dealer will try.

Upvote 0
Feb 3, 2023
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Same problem on our new to us 22 plate Compact. Back in snowy December we got told it was cold stiff door seal rubber preventing the door closing the extra couple of thou to make the contact work. It did go away but subsequently returned regardless. The bottom of the door seemed to be the problem and needs to shut properly for central locking to work. A couple weeks ago the central locking failed to work completely on the eve of our 9 week European trip. Visited dealer in Kent, helpful.but no fix, left us with a hab door that was supposedly locked and cab CL and alarm working. Told lock mechanism needed replacing. Tried to get a new one in France. Three week wait. Then CL failed to operate again so took inside handle off, this gave some access to the lock, had a prod about and pushed the plate nearest on the lock towards cab and 'click' CL functioned and it has worked ever since though door still.needs to be shut properly to clear dash warning. Not convinced it's fixed. We have made arrangements with Adria dealer in Slovenia to investigate properly .

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

CRD

Apr 15, 2021
Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670 DL
Exp
3 Years
Hi, We get this problem on our matrix. Rub the contacts with fine emery and use contact spray. We have 4 contacts on our door.
Thanks. Interesting that we only have two contacts as per my photo above. I’ll try and find some emery paper and contact spray, while we’re here in Spain.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

CRD

Apr 15, 2021
Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670 DL
Exp
3 Years
Same problem on our new to us 22 plate Compact. Back in snowy December we got told it was cold stiff door seal rubber preventing the door closing the extra couple of thou to make the contact work. It did go away but subsequently returned regardless. The bottom of the door seemed to be the problem and needs to shut properly for central locking to work. A couple weeks ago the central locking failed to work completely on the eve of our 9 week European trip. Visited dealer in Kent, helpful.but no fix, left us with a hab door that was supposedly locked and cab CL and alarm working. Told lock mechanism needed replacing. Tried to get a new one in France. Three week wait. Then CL failed to operate again so took inside handle off, this gave some access to the lock, had a prod about and pushed the plate nearest on the lock towards cab and 'click' CL functioned and it has worked ever since though door still.needs to be shut properly to clear dash warning. Not convinced it's fixed. We have made arrangements with Adria dealer in Slovenia to investigate properly .
Our central locking is working perfectly (touch wood). It’s when we’re driving that the open door issue rears its ugly head.

I’m sorry to hear about your problems, though, and hope you get them resolved in Slovenia.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

CRD

Apr 15, 2021
Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670 DL
Exp
3 Years
A big thank you to everyone who is helping with this issue.

It seems to be a reasonably common problem, unfortunately.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

CRD

Apr 15, 2021
Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670 DL
Exp
3 Years
I’ve just noticed that the contacts were dirty so have given them a good clean with a cloth. I’ll see if that improves the situation when we move tomorrow.

Upvote 0
Dec 31, 2017
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
I have the same issue on a Carthago with the same set of contacts, emery cloth and a spray with contact spray sorts mine for a few weeks

Upvote 0
Apr 10, 2010
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since Sept 2003
I had a problem with the hab door electrical contacts on my Cathargo, too. I fixed it with a sliver of cardboard under the button frame on one side. This pushed the contacts closer to the other side and made the contact firmer, which cured the intermittent fault.

Upvote 0
Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
Known problem on many commercial van usuallysolved by packing one side of the contacts out a little try slackening the screws and a bit of cardbooard under the moulding

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

CRD

Apr 15, 2021
Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670 DL
Exp
3 Years
Thanks Cavs and mitzimad for these suggestions. I’ve made sure that the contacts are clean for todays journey, so we’ll see if that cures the issue. If it doesn’t then I’ll do as you suggest.

When we had a similar issue with the sliding door of our PVC, the Fiat garage tightened the door adjustments so that it made a better connection with the contacts.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

CRD

Apr 15, 2021
Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670 DL
Exp
3 Years
Cleaning the contacts worked well yesterday. We had no door open warnings during the long drive, which was a pleasant change!

I’m going to get some contact spray as soon as possible, and keep the contacts clean. If this isn’t a long term solution then I’ll get the dealer to adjust the micro switch mechanism under warranty.

A massive thanks to everyone who has helped with this. I hope it helps others with this common problem.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back