Fiamma tie down kit - worth it or not? (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jan 23, 2023
Bedford, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van
Exp
Newbie - bought first MH 11/03/2023
From Funsters experience - is it worth buying a Fiamma kit for £24 to secure your awning?

Or just buy some cord and tie it on to whatever comes to hand?

B257F15D-08CE-4B1D-B5A3-F424F0A180C3.png

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
Thanks everyone, just ordered one from parrotsol

Upvote 0
Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
These ground anchors are very good in conjunction with the fiamma tie down kit if the ground is soft.

Lauyeboho 15”Dual-Use Groud Anchors(4 pcs) with Power Nut Drive and T-handle Hex Wrench ,Easy to Use with Drill or by Manual for Swing Sets,Sheds https://amzn.eu/d/0dSqMHg6

Upvote 0

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
These ground anchors are very good in conjunction with the fiamma tie down kit if the ground is soft.

Lauyeboho 15”Dual-Use Groud Anchors(4 pcs) with Power Nut Drive and T-handle Hex Wrench ,Easy to Use with Drill or by Manual for Swing Sets,Sheds https://amzn.eu/d/0dSqMHg6
im just waiting for a cheap but reliable battery powered drill/screwdriver to become available so i can the use some sort of srew in pegs, not sure i would need something that substantial though, but thanks for the heads up.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
May 22, 2015
Wem Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago E Line 51QB
Exp
Been getting away since 2008
I use a length of 6mm cord and a piece of re bar bent over for the peg.
Tie it with a compound knot (Truckers Hitch) so it can easily be adjusted or undone in a second.

Works for me.

Upvote 0

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
Only if you want to keep your awning following high winds.😎
Thanks but it would never be our intention to leave it out during any potential wind 'issue', we even usually put it away every night as the creaking keeps us awake ....

We rarely travel far from our motorhome and if we did and there was even a gentle breeze, we would usually wind it in, I'm hoping that we could potentially leave it a bit more.

I know we could get caught out, but I'm planning on avoiding the risk as opposed to combatting the risk.

Upvote 0
Nov 22, 2011
Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
PVC WildAx
Exp
Since 2007
IMHO yes it is worth the money the springs give a little more flex and allows a bit of give plus the straps are quite wide thus not cutting into anything😊
I improvised with a strap and bit of old kit. Mistake. Actually bent things so now I cannot close the cassette totally. Expensive short cut. I now own a proper Fiamma tie down kit.

Upvote 0
Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
I improvised with a strap and bit of old kit. Mistake. Actually bent things so now I cannot close the cassette totally. Expensive short cut. I now own a proper Fiamma tie down kit.
If it's just one end that isn't closing, try completely unrolling the awning and then winding it back in slowly, if that doesn't work you can stick a strip of gaffa tape onto the upper edge of the awning close to the cassette on the side that's sticking out, this will slightly increase the diameter of the rolled awning hopefully pulling the sticking out bit back in.

Upvote 0
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Thanks but it would never be our intention to leave it out during any potential wind 'issue', we even usually put it away every night as the creaking keeps us awake ....

We rarely travel far from our motorhome and if we did and there was even a gentle breeze, we would usually wind it in, I'm hoping that we could potentially leave it a bit more.

I know we could get caught out, but I'm planning on avoiding the risk as opposed to combatting the risk.
My slightly flippant comment was occasioned by a holiday in Switzerland where we, as usual, tied our awning down.

One evening a “get together” was held at the bar/restaurant and we attended together with many others. Without warning a strong wind struck the site lifting tents and damaging awnings through the central portion of the site, leaving the rest untouched. Although in the path of the wind we “got away with it” unlike many others.

Throughout the evening we were never more than 300m from our m/h but could not have got back in time to avoid damage if it had not been tied down.

Upvote 1

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
We have the Peggy Pegs kit too and think it's a great system. Plus their foot anchors are way better than just pegging the legs down by the feet: you can use more pegs and it's quick release in case you need to take it in in a hurry. Plus you only have to peg it down once: just leave the foot plates in place when you wind it away, and slot the legs back in when you put it out again.

Same here, great kit for awning tie down, more secure and easier to use.

Upvote 0
May 22, 2015
Wem Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago E Line 51QB
Exp
Been getting away since 2008
And if you put 4 dustbin lids around a skip you have a motorhome :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
To be fair there’s nothing on the market that is worth paying for. I’ve tried different ones over the years.
Crap fittings
Crap straps
Crap pegs.

I will take a look at the Peggy Pegs though.

Upvote 0
Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
To be fair there’s nothing on the market that is worth paying for. I’ve tried different ones over the years.
Crap fittings
Crap straps
Crap pegs.

I will take a look at the Peggy Pegs though.
We have used These for 12 years and 3 vans, no plastic to break, and we have had stormy weather come from nowhere and survived.

Upvote 0

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Awnings are items which just tie us down.

Live free... let's do away with our awnings and wind breaks and ground pegs.

Always ready to move onto the next adventure and the greener grass just over that hill.

JJ :cool:

Upvote 0
May 28, 2024
Maspalomas, Spain
Funster No
MH
Giottiline Toscan 74
Exp
Awnings are items which just tie us down.

Live free... let's do away with our awnings and wind breaks and ground pegs.

Always ready to move onto the next adventure and the greener grass just over that hill.

JJ :cool:
Yeah, we need to stop showering too, that would save 100kg on the payload. Oh, and how about shit***g in the woods too?

Upvote 0
Jun 22, 2019
Durham
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Having had a sudden gust of wind that took our wind out awning over the top of our motorhome causing around £250 worth of damage I.e cost of just replacing the bent parts, fitted by myself in about 2hrs.
Yes a proper tie down kit is worth it.

Upvote 0
Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
The quick release clip on mine broke, therefore no more use. Replaced the whole lot with ratchet straps, which are difficult but won't break in a storm.
You don't want any plastic clips, they all break in the end. They could make them out of a better plastic but choose not to.

Upvote 0
Jul 27, 2013
Wilts/Oxon border
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since childhood!
You don't want any plastic clips, they all break in the end. They could make them out of a better plastic but choose not to.
I use the Fiamma Tie Down Kit which doesn't have any clips. The fixings are metal, and there's a tension spring on one end to allow for some movement. OK, it may be slightly more of a faff to deploy than the ones you slot into the awning rail channel (it goes across the top of the awning structure, underneath the canopy itself) but I personally prefer it. Plus it fits any roll out canopy up to 600cm w and the way it fits means it's easy to use side or front panels with it.

Upvote 0

Towat101

Free Member
Feb 3, 2022
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E695
From Funsters experience - is it worth buying a Fiamma kit for £24 to secure your awning?

Or just buy some cord and tie it on to whatever comes to hand?

View attachment 757010
I would say don't put the awning out in if there is as much as a light breeze.

Upvote 0
May 2, 2014
Washington
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 584DL
Exp
17 years + 35 tugging
I use the Fiamma Tie Down Kit which doesn't have any clips. The fixings are metal, and there's a tension spring on one end to allow for some movement. OK, it may be slightly more of a faff to deploy than the ones you slot into the awning rail channel (it goes across the top of the awning structure, underneath the canopy itself) but I personally prefer it. Plus it fits any roll out canopy up to 600cm w and the way it fits means it's easy to use side or front panels with it.
I had that one until a freak thunder/hail storm blew the awning over the roof. Cost the Insurance a grand which I paid back in increased premiums.

Now as well as front straps I have the rafter and the more sensible magic rafter.

The problem with the long single strap was it allowed lateral movement of the awning and the legs buckled. From then it just took off. That's just my experience.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back