Fiamma tie down kit - worth it or not? (2 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jan 23, 2023
Bedford, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van
Exp
Newbie - bought first MH 11/03/2023
From Funsters experience - is it worth buying a Fiamma kit for £24 to secure your awning?

Or just buy some cord and tie it on to whatever comes to hand?

B257F15D-08CE-4B1D-B5A3-F424F0A180C3.png

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
Unless you ordered already, I'd recommend having a look at the Peggy Peg kits - easy to fix to the awning and comes with various pegs or bolts to be used depending on what you're parked on which can be screwee into the ground using a cordless drill. Decent price as well, believe we paid around £80 for ours, worth every penny..
+1 for the Peggy peg kit, great product👍👍

Upvote 0
Jul 27, 2013
Wilts/Oxon border
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since childhood!
I had that one until a freak thunder/hail storm blew the awning over the roof. Cost the Insurance a grand which I paid back in increased premiums.

Now as well as front straps I have the rafter and the more sensible magic rafter.

The problem with the long single strap was it allowed lateral movement of the awning and the legs buckled. From then it just took off. That's just my experience.
I also have the adjustable rafter now after also experiencing a flash thunderstorm which partially collapsed the canopy. However, due to the straps, mine didn't get blown over the van. Maybe just lucky! The front awning casing was twisted though, and I feared I would have to replace it at the cost you mention, but luckily a little careful attention with a mallet later on means that it now rolls back and clips in fine, and the incident was several years ago now. I can see the 'battle scar' but I don't think others would if I didn't mention it.

Nowadays, as well as the storm strap, I almost always have a front panel (either a solid panel or a mesh one) fixed to the front of the canopy too, so that gives me additional security for the canopy with two to four (depending on the panel) extra ground fixing points.

Upvote 0
Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
So
You’ve spent £00000s on yer van
And now you’re apprehensive about spending £24…
Words fail me(no they don’t)
:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:
When I was selling at shows I had a lot of people like that. One stands out, he tried to screw me down on price, visiting me at numerous shows. Then one time he came to me and bought 2 sets of straps. Normally I would ask why 2 sets? But instead he told me his awning had blown over his van that night! So I took the money and didn't dare say any more!

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back