Fault code P0638

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
does the engine run ok, then you rev it, then, when it returns to tick over it surges???

OP
OP
tidewatcher
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Timberland Destiny
When you first start it the tickover is smooth until the engine gets slightly warm if it starts hunting on tick over you can rev it and sometimes it will drop back to a smooth tickover but then it will slowly start to hunt again. Drives well under load and acceleration but again when it drops back to tick over it will hunt over fifty percent of the time. Hoping a change of the dpf controller and some dpf cleaner will give it a hand.

OP
OP
tidewatcher
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Timberland Destiny
Changed the dpf control valve and checked there was vacuum getting to it when the engine is running. Engine starts and is fine for two or three minutes then starts to hunt on tick over, if you slowly open the throttle it chugs until you reach about 1500 rpm. Have yet to give her a good run and hopefully early next week can do ten to fifteen miles at 2500 to 3000 rpm if that sounds about right. Really do want to get this sorted now as not happy about long trips until she sounds right. Sorry to keep popping up but kind of loosing confidence in the van at the moment.

Attachments

• IMG_2670.mov
    20.7 MB
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Changed the dpf control valve and checked there was vacuum getting to it when the engine is running. Engine starts and is fine for two or three minutes then starts to hunt on tick over, if you slowly open the throttle it chugs until you reach about 1500 rpm. Have yet to give her a good run and hopefully early next week can do ten to fifteen miles at 2500 to 3000 rpm if that sounds about right. Really do want to get this sorted now as not happy about long trips until she sounds right. Sorry to keep popping up but kind of loosing confidence in the van at the moment.
Don’t worry about keeping us informed. That’s what we (me) want.

You did check your EGR whilst TB off? Did you apply vacuum and test EGR again?

You say the DPF control valve is that what you mean?

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
LMC Liberty 652
Exp
Many Years
About a year ago I had the exact issues you describe. The local mechanic had a look and told me he had reset the throttle parameters and the motorhome has been fine since then but he also said if he had to point a finger it would be the EGR valve messing about.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
I would remove and clean the egr of the engine, ( Mr muscle oven foam cleaner) and the pipe that feeds the air to the intake, from EGR. Your manifold is a little choked by soot. No way any additives will help you with that. Proper of the engine manifold of, degreaser and sweat.
I had in the past a vx combo hunting to the point that the engine vibration destroyed the rear engine mount. Upon lots of inspection, cleaning this and that, scanning all parameters ok, I took the air valve ( throttle body) off to clean, revealing the sooted choked manifold. The only thing that sorted the hunting and improved power, was to take the bull by the horns: remove the manifold, soak in a container with petrol, then brake fluid to help cleaning it and finally mr muscle to give it a shine like new. My wife drove it after I finished with it, her words: it goes like shit of a shovel now at roundabouts when you need it most.
Do not try to clean it in situ, you will ram lots of solid soot on top of the valves down the air ways; really bad and a head out to rectify.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back